Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2015 BACK TO THE 50's, ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA JUNE 19, 20, 21

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed~On, May 14, 2015.

1. Speed~On

Speed~On

This is a great time of year, it's Spring, the weather is nice, and many great hot rod shows are upon us. As I look at the calender I see we are only 36 days away from one of the greatest car shows planet earth has to offer. For those of you that have attended Back To The 50's in St. Paul, Minnesota you can appreciate and understand why I speak so highly of this event.

It's 3 solid days of hot rodding. Every hot rod vendor under the sun attends, over 12,000 hot rods 1964 and older (yes, that's twelve thousand) great swap meet, live bands, cruising, it's held at the beautiful Minnesota State Fairgrounds, and hosted by the MSRA
    (Minnesota Street Rod Association). This will be the 42nd year.

If you're a hot rod guy, this should honestly be on your bucket list. You won't be disappointed.

Here is a link to the MSRA website for registration and additional information.
    http://msra.com/

I made this quick little youtube video from the 2014 Back To The 50's.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    T Fritz likes this.
  2. bryan6902

bryan6902

Hmmmm... Never heard of it!

plumbid and Speedon like this.
  3. Speed~On

Speed~On

Says the guy that wakes up even earlier than I do to get there :D

4. lowlinc

lowlinc

Last year was my first year Attending, Before that I always hit up Car Craft. I may or may not Attend this year but Won't miss it next year. It's a Must to go.

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

:eek:

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

can't miss event. my favorite

Speed~On likes this.
  7. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Oh Cripes! is it that time again already?? ;)

8. Well , hope I get the most important parts painted so the truck can go, if not then sneaking the Rambler in AGAIN! LOL

9. My car is almost done / plan to fire the engine for the first time next weekend. Entry number 8953, or something like that. Wish me luck!
    image.jpg

1927graham, Roger53, verno30 and 3 others like this.
  10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Just around the corner and closing fast, wouldn't miss it.

11. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

We will be attending as a vendor as we have for many years. Best car show I have ever been to. But then again I'm not into muscle cars so Car Craft never really did it for me.

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The Car Craft show is moving to West Allis, WI this year, but there will be a Street Machine Nationals show in St. Paul to replace it.

13. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Yeah either way as a vendor Back to the fifties makes more sense it's cheaper for booth, has 10 times the attendees and exibitors. We do both but haven't really gotten much business from Car Craft in the last 5 years.

14. ahshoe

ahshoe

Back to the 50's is fantastic. Been going there since 1998. I AM HOOKED ON IT!!!Took 4 different cars. So much to do and see. You can NOT see it all in the three days it's open Different cars every day and the late afternoon early evening event cruising the Fairgrounds streets is the BEST. Just sit there and enjoy the best of some 11K + cars cruising past you. Many vendors and one of the biggest and growing Swap Meet you'll ever attend. Don't miss it !

15. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Nice A !

plumbid likes this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

LUCK !

plumbid likes this.
  17. Speed~On

Speed~On

Good luck, plumbid. I am confident you'll get your A fired this weekend.

You still have 4 more weeks until Back To The 50's. Just enough time to tie up the loose ends.

plumbid likes this.
  18. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I'll be there, pardon the plug.
    [​IMG]

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I havnt been... Geesh in probably ten years. I always enjoyed camping on site but the last time we went it honestly was just to over welming trying to see even half of it on foot.

I wonder if bikes are allowed? It's make it easier to see it all but it's so crowed I don't know that you could really cruise

20. Speed~On

Speed~On

willysguy, your '32 was admired by many. That's kool you're coming back again this year. As many people have said, once you attend once, you're hooked for life.

They do not allow bicycles, in-line skates, skate boards, pets (unless it's a guide dog/service dog) also no mopeds/scooters inside the fairgrounds. I think the owners of the 12,000 cars really appreciate this, too. I know I do.

Of course electric power chairs are allowed and rented at the fairgrounds for those that have difficulty with mobility.

The cruising through the fairgrounds is still awesome. It's non stop. After you've been walking all day and need to rest, just sit down and let the hot rods come to you. It's a constant stream of cars cruising. The evenings are the best.

Also, a shout out and thank you to the Michigan Hot Rod Association. They are present every year with their mobile hot rod repair shop. If you are unfortunate enough to break down they will pull your car to their repair area. They have a repair shop stocked with many tools, welders, jacks, etc. and knowledgeable members that will help you fix your hot rod. They keep busy. As you walk past their area, there's always cars getting fixed...for free! If they help you, offer them a donation for their hard work and generosity!! They are super nice guys.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  21. 2935ford

2935ford

One of the best events of the year!

bobwop likes this.
  22. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I can't wait, but unfortunately I'll be on foot this year

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I can't recall as it's been a long time but do they run the ski lift / sky lift that goes around the grounds during the show?

24. Speed~On

Speed~On

Yes. you can enjoy an ariel view of the show by taking a ride on the Sky Chairs. This will take you over the fairgrounds. You can get the lay of the land and see a lot of cars at once.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also go up the huge Space Needle. It rotates 360 degrees (slowly, no you won't get motion sick) while going up in the air. Another great photo op.

[​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  25. I'll be there with my dad's 37 pontiac

26. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Count me in

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Will be there, and hopefully with the Nomad all back together ;)
    Hope to see a lot of HAMBers again this year

28. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I'll be coming all the way from Texas!

[​IMG]

1956 F100, Speed~On and plumbid like this.
  29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

That is a impressive trip, looks like you will be traveling in style!

30. Speed~On

Speed~On

Safe travels 55styleliner. That's an awesome truck.

Only 2 weeks away from registration pickup at the host hotel.

young'n'poor likes this.