Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2015 AMBR contenders are up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yawn..............

Muttley and 36couper like this.
  2. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

In keeping with my signature, which translates freely as "there's no arguing taste", I will not offer an opinion as to which entry is the best. BUT ... somehow HAMBers are always right on target about which ones truly speak to us. A couple of observations - Cubic money invested does not necessarily equate with success. Incredible craftsmanship means nothing without coherent artistic vision. And a 1960s saying: "If there's anything a non-conformist hates more than a conformist, it's a non-conformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing norms of non-conformity." Nice as they all are, my vote goes to IrishJr and Don Richardon for their Bonneville Boomers. Of course you could have seen that coming.

3. JimSibley

JimSibley

The little green t was 100% owner built. And he isn't a pro builder. He owns a body shop in spokane.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

for cryin out loud...
    Surely someone at one point should have looked at where some of these builds were heading, and suggested making a 'left toyne at Albakoykee'.

5. Man I was thinking the same thing, saw that shitty little photo and immediately recognized the car.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  6. Regardless of the out come I am stoked to see a couple of Hambers included in the mix,this is a prestigious show and has had it's up and downs there seems to be more emphasis placed on style rather than gold plated non running static pieces of modern art.

I know Bobby Alloway and can appreciate the street rods he builds but the one he built for his client looks like the same type of car he has been building for the last 20 years. HRP

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

HRP, I think you mean Bobby Alloway.
    Anybody got a picture of the 36 roadster that Hot Rod didn't get a picture of?

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the 1952 winner is still in the process of being restored in California foothills DSCN7594.JPG

kiwijeff and straykatkustoms like this.
  9. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

HAHAHA!

X38 and 3wLarry like this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

"Grasshopper"

11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If the picture of Dustin Smiths '26/'27 T highboy with spoke wheels, was in black and white with a different background, I would swear it was taken in the late '40s or early '50s. What a sweet little ride!! Good luck Dustin.

12. I'm not blown away at this year's contestants. Last year, I thought the pictures of the contenders were weak until I went to the show and I liked them much more in person. I'm hoping for the same this year. Every year, there's always the "WTF" entries. Out of respect to the owners and builders, I'll keep my opinions to myself.......

HEMI32 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I must be nice to have opportunity to go see them in person!
    Some of them most be better in person, but I have to say some might also disappoint in person.

14. I like the fact that they listed the builders names. If you don't build it yourself credit should be given to the people who did.

lil mike and wex65 like this.
  15. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Totally agree...to the point that I have sill plates going into my coupe that state it as a Hilton Hot Rods build.

However, I never understood the problem a few have with a person having someone else build their car. It is as if, 'if you cant build one yourself you shouldn't own one'. Never made sense to me.

16. seatex

seatex

^^^I can dig it, Wex65^^^ I admire the guys that have the skills to build their own cars and hit a home run, I think it really adds a personal connection to the flesh and steel relationship, but I also know my own skill set and "sticktoitivness" may well dictate that someone else build the car and save the inevitable avalanche of swear words, thrown tools, and an endless timeline for completion. Just because you didn't build it doesn't mean you can't love it, just as because you built it doesn't mean you will................................

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I take pride in my own work, a can build a car, I got five more waiting in shed.
    I respect other who build cars, I respect them who build for other because they can.
    I like it when people win a price for there own hard work, and for spending there money well.

I believe that a true hot rodder build his own hot rodders! A true custom guy build his own custom car.
    And a true car guys has a finger in everything despite he can't do a full build from the ground up!

He deserves my respect, but for other matters then then a craftsman. He will be measured by his skills in planning, color matching, lay out or taking the time to find proper parts.

And despite that I can build a car, I will never be able to build a show winner! I only aspire to do a car I can be happy with, content about and be a little proud that I build.
    I will never build cars to please anybody but my family.

I wish there where more of the contender there had build there own car, so I can cheer for the underdog, not so I can point fingers at those who got help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  18. lil mike

lil mike
    from OKC, OK

Ted Davis not only built his truck, but cast and machined alot of his parts! We did the bodywork/paint

straykatkustoms and volvobrynk like this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Just curios but what does that mean?

Over here we have a saying that goes like; get off at roskilde. But for the case of translation, we could call it, get off at albaqurky, and it basically means pull out of you lady friend before point of no return, to avoid getting a dad at an early age.
    But we also use it to point out if someone's parents should have taken that option. Like a hard joke

Roadsir likes this.
  20. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

Gonna Be a great show!!!

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

famous bugs bunny saying...

bugsbunnyquote.jpg

kidcampbell71 and hotrd32 like this.
  22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Now I just feel stupid. :eek:

But I still like the cars

23. One thing that should be remembered is no matter how you feel about an individual car, all of these represent a labor of love to the owner and some outstanding craftsmanship. But they also represent the difficulty of achieving 'The Look', that ever-elusive quality that sets the timeless cars apart from the crowd.

Special Ed and JimSibley like this.
  24. J.A.,I know both Bobby's but your right I meant Alloway, I'm gonna blame the faux pas on the high powered medication the doc has me on.:rolleyes: HRP

25. bct

bct

I don't think its that hard to get a timeless look. if that's what you want.all you have to do is have some self control and refrain from adding stuff just for the sake of impressing someone. use proven parts and the skills you have to solve the problems that arise in an original way.

volvobrynk, X38 and Jimmy B like this.
  26. lil mike

lil mike
    from OKC, OK

Here is what Ted Davis truck looks like with the hood up

Attached Files:

sko_ford and straykatkustoms like this.
  27. The Hollywood Hot Rods car was my pick over all.
    Later,
    Dick

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Volvobrynk, I like your translation bettre, that made me laugh.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. So, here are pictures of the Myers' '36 roadster, painted by a Kiwi/Aussie flown in to do the business!

Looks to me like a serious contender.... gnrs1.jpg gnrs2.jpg gnrs3.jpg gnrs4.jpg gnrs5.jpg Bear:)

patmanta, i.rant and bct like this.
  30. seatex

seatex

^^^:eek::cool::eek:^^^THAT IS THE CAT'S ASS, RIGHT THERE................... What a kickass dash panel/interior treatment!

volvobrynk likes this.