Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2015 AMBR contenders are up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 21, 2015.

1. So it is that time of year for the Granddaddy of them all, the Grand National Roadster Show. Another year I haven't been able to attend so I live vicariously thru the photos posted online and dream next year! Personally I am a big fan of the America's Most Beautiful Roadster, the history, the prestige of having your name on the big 9 footer trophy. Over the last few years I have enjoyed the cars being built for AMBR competition. These days the contenders are more HAMB friendly since the cars are now judged on styling, appearance with driver driving the roadster across a designated judging area and detail. Thankfully the days of cars winning because of a high judging score are over. Time for me to shut up and post a link to HOT ROD mags coverage of the contenders.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/2015-americas-most-beautiful-roadster-contenders/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    hipster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Vintage style halibrands seem to be the new bellybuttons.

Per O. Martinsen '32 built by Hollywood Hot Rods gets my vote

10946516_580018068797771_460575750_n.jpg

3. I just don't get some guys thought processes. The third car down the owner said he wanted the feel of 30's and 40's grand prix cars and then puts modern wheels and radial tires on it?o_O

4. Always 1 or 2 cars that have styling defects. As you pointed out that is a large defect, the taller grand prix style tyres (Excelsior would suit) they could help take away the bulkiness.

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

I like the fact there are some "real cars" , some cars with owner history (not just guys throwing money at it) and owner builders, and young builders.
    That said, and to my eye, quite a few of the cars have some serious overall "form" issues that don't conjure an image of "Americas Most Beautiful Roadster", and would fail the drive by test.
    Let's hope for another traditional pick, and a safe show this year!

volvobrynk and bct like this.
  6. bct

bct

wow . the gold deuce does it for me. thanks jimmy

7. Oh boy, it never really changes. I could cull that line-up down pretty fast. I don't know if it's the process of trying to win a prize or just plain funny eyes, but most these AMBR entries end up looking aesthetically challenged.

As an example, Chis Casney's roadster isn't in the AMBR contest, but it looks right. It looks really good. But then, it isn't trying to win at a big car show either.

Jimmy B and 62hotcat like this.
  8. A couple look dated. And a couple look strange.

9. I liked Dustin Smiths Roadster.
    Seems a lot of cars are blown this year. 2015+ambr+hot+rod+magazine-1374.jpg

10. I'm kinda wonderin about a couple of those cars???? What were they thinking?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. missysdad1

missysdad1

Ya' know, I think there'd be a strong sense of poetic justice if the little green gow job won AMBR.

Somehow it's just naturally "right" while the others are trying 'way too hard...!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Jimmy B on this one. That black Deuce roadster just flat does it for me. It has some real tricks in it that make it really special while not making it look like it was changed for the sake of change. It's the one car out of the bunch that when we see it 20 years from now we will remember as being an AMBR contender.

Jimmy B likes this.
  13. Definitely, when I first saw it there was a timeless sense about it, to me it is the love child of the Doane Spencer roadster & Brian Burnett Deucari with a hint of something new. A gorgeous roadster.

codeblu, kiwijeff and HEMI32 like this.
  14. @Jimmy B Troy has been posting some detail pictures of the car over the last couple of weeks on Instagram as they were getting it ready for the show and there are some very cool things on that car.

Jimmy B likes this.
  15. @K13 I have been watching Instagram including a short drive vid, very cool.

16. JimSibley

JimSibley

Go dusty! That car was built in true hotrodder fashion. A couple of buddies in their garage on a budget we all could afford. Love it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff and Jimmy B like this.
  17. 2935ford

2935ford

K.I.S.S comes to mind and it worked!
    2015+ambr+hot+rod+magazine-1374.jpg

sko_ford, hipster, 1951Biff and 3 others like this.
  18. That is a terrible bunch of photos. You'd think HRM would have someone who knew how to point a camera/phone at a hot rod? :\

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There are some awesome cars contesting, right there.

Deuce, hemi, hilborn like stacks and Gold paint job, that one looks good.

Two cars running 4bangers, that both looks good, but I can't figure out who wants to chrome the whole engine.
    Even with blackie's car, with all that chrome, I feel in doubt to if it's enough to ruin the car for me.

Love the quote: the whole crew was at the bar. That just epic.

The little RPU ain't bad either, and that champagne color ain't that bad.

That a tough competition to judge.

That glowing red one with a Alu 4 banger looks good too, but ain't my favorite.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. The Grasshopper.... that just screams 'HOT ROD!' to me. The black Deuce runs second, only because the bucket seats in it just don't 'fit' the style of the car; I do love the Dunlop wires though.... The RPU is also very nice, but just doesn't have enough of 'the look' to outdo the other two. The 'gow job' is nice, but looks more like a museum piece than a real hot rod. Most of the rest are suffering from one sort or another of wretched excess...

Granted, the pics are terrible, but that's my .02 worth.... LOL

slowmotion likes this.
  21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You had me at Grasshopper, grasshopper. Gary

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920642.416003.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920667.057049.jpg
    This one I like a lot, simple, down to business time of old school rod.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920731.588237.jpg
    This one looks like a stock banger early 40 build, no fenders and dropped in the front. Don't like the color, but like the car. But not as a winner.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920826.574863.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920843.871045.jpg
    I like this one more then the Norwegian one.
    And epic quote still standing.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920931.390127.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920951.685497.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421920969.732812.jpg
    Like the engine, dislike chromed engine. Like wheel and interior, but not interior color.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421921030.820800.jpg
    Like it, but don't love it.

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421921153.399398.jpg
    Love the flat head, likes the car, dislike interior.

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421921231.442553.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421921302.275979.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421921318.238875.jpg

Like the car, love nerd bars and bucket seats. dislike exhausts and wheels.

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ok...I'll be the one to say it. WTF were the builders thinking when they built that twin turbo mess? Horrible car. Some people need their tools taken away.

39ChevyBob, X38, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  26. wex65

wex65
    from WV

The engine is an absolute piece of art and put together by Tony over at Ross Racing Engines. Cool recreation.
    grasshopper.png

hipster, kopperkart and kiwijeff like this.
  27. haychrishay

haychrishay

I think Crazy Steve summed it up well, "Most of the rest are suffering from one sort or another of wretched excess.."

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

All I see anymore is Built by, Built by, WTH doesn't anybody build there own cars anymore ??????

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Interesting mix of power plants, guess being an old codger, I say "go Grasshopper", speaks to my youth and little magazines hidden in study hall text books.

30. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations to Ted Davis from Oklahoma City.............His 1931 Ford Roadster Pickup is one of the contenders for Americas Most Beautiful Roadster............ Good Luck Ted!

1aa.jpg

sko_ford likes this.