Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

2012 HAMB drag videos

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by Willy_P, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Willy_P

Willy_P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Phil, my pleasure. It has been an interesting followup beyond just taking some videos. One cool story is from "Barn Find T/Mike Nicholas" from Colorado.
    My car is under construction, so I was only a spectator this year.
    When I went to Ryno's doughnut breakfast to watch the race prep, I saw Squirrel's 55 on the rack, and I thought he broke something, but he was actually swapping pumpkins before the race. Then I saw this COOL 32 deuce coupe with Moon hubcaps - it belongs to Seadog/Tom Hassell. We chatted for a few minutes, and I later learned he drove it 900 miles from North Carolina and raced it.
    Back to the story, I was making sure I got Seadogs runs recorded, and he was up against a black and white 57 ford. It was funny, because even when I was taking the video I could hear the kids in front of me yelling "Grandpaw! Grandpaw!", so I first titled it Seadog vs Grandpaw. I later realized I failed to get the racers names, so I have gradually been reaching out and getting feedback on who the HAMB drivers were.
    A week or so after the drags, I reading a blog by Poverty Flats/Paul Kruse
    http://gopovertyflats.blogspot.com/2012/08/2012-hamb-drags.html
    He mentioned a friend of his and another friend who owned the black/white 57 ford - Barn Find T/Mike.
    I PM'd Mike to verify the details, and it was actually his dad StNick (Grandpaw) who was driving, and if I have it straight, he had not raced in 40 years.
    Mike shared a couple of HAMB links about the build and his dad that are VERY COOL - the build story up to racing at the 10th HAMB drag nationals. I only had time to skim it, but will go back and read it womb to tomb because there is some funny stuff in there - like his dad catching him taking the car to work on it while he (StNick)was in Denmark; and after the drags, getting back home in Colorado at 4am, and trailering the 57 over to some friends house and firing it up with open headers at 5am. I am 62 and he is older than me, but I hope I have his spunk when I finish my five seven and hopefully run it thru the MO-KAN time tunnel.
    If you are interested, the links are
    StNick on the HAMB
    Here's the build thread - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=462619
    And the story on the car - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=177927

Seadog has a blog too, and describes his journey to and from the races.
    http://oldandintheway.wordpress.com

There are still a few unidentified racers, so I am patiently waiting on more feedback.
    How is you paintjob coming along?
    Bill

2. StNick

StNick

Phil - thanks for taking the time to document all these memories - Ole Stnick here - My son Mike and I finished the car on Thur night and left for MO-KAN - It has certainly been 40+ years since I was on a drag strip - Mike had to teach me about the new-fangled line locker - sure had fun with it - I'm 65+ years young and hope to hit Joplin again next year - this time with slicks - went there to lay rubber - and lay rubber we did - and had the grand boys cheering me on all the way - thx and do take time to go through the thread Mike put together on the "Stnick's 1957 Ford Custom Build" - it is a hoot - stnick

3. Fang

Fang

Hey Terry, My yella willys did back to back 12.4's at 107. Line'm up!