Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 link vs. 4 link

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Sep 23, 2011.

1. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I know this question has probabley been asked before...but, What are the differences between a 2 link and a 4 link setup? I'm sure the major differences are support and driveability. But what about when the rear end is being bagged?

2. doctorZ

doctorZ

the other 2 links. duh ...

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

No seriously- I'm a noob on this. Who can answer this?

4. jipp

jipp

http://www.peteandjakes.com/Catalog3.aspx

read the pdf that loads up.. i think this explains it pretty good?
    4 bar stuff is on page 3.

shit sorry missed t he bagged part. i do not know jack shit, so ill shut up now and let someone with working experience chime in. sorry.
    chris.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

A 2 link is a leaf spring set up. Or also called a Hotchkis setup....Or a floating setup

A four link is common on coil overs or coil springs. Where you have to links at the top of the rear end and 2 at the bottom

4 links come in many styles, from race to stock application. Race app is ussually straight front to back, while stock has an out angle off the top of the rear end. It aids in smooth ride and comfort.

I hope this helps

6. Or what are commonly called "Truck Arms" as used in NASCAR and originally derived from 1960's Chevy Trucks. They use coils springs and are regularly used with Bags!

7. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Truck Arms, aka: a 3 link is used in NASCAR and other oval or round applications because it has no bind. Not common on the street though.

8. Truck arm suspensions have become very popular on the street over the past 10 years or so. There are companies that sell kits to install them in many applications and they do work quite well with bags.
    They are not what is known as a "3 Link" though (even though they have a Panhard bar).
    Three-link rigid axle suspension systems derive their name from the fact that the axle is located under the car with three trailing arms, in conjunction with either a Panhard bar or Watt's link to locate the axle assembly laterally. In virtually every case, there are two lower arms that connect under the axle assembly, and one upper link that is attached to the axle assembly in the middle, right above the pumpkin. The 2005 Mustang was probably the first production car to use this system

9. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

I find the triangulated 4 link lends itself readily to air bags. You don't need a pan-hard bar and it's relatively easy to install and adjust. I put them on my 56 f100 with Ride Tech Shockwaves.

10. Kevin107

Kevin107

A 2 link can also be ladder bars(too stiff for street as it turn the rear axle housing into a large anti sway bar). With a 2 link suspension the instant center is the front pivot point, where with a 4 link the instant center moves with suspension travel. 4 links usually have more adjustability. Truck arms are 2 links that are designed to flex/twist and are popular for use with bags. I'm using an offset 3 link design on my 27T PU to allow for tire load equalization and optimum traction while maintaining a bind free suspension.

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I seem to recall a 58-62 chevy car having a 3 link, unless I missed something?
    That does happen pretty often.
    Don't tell my wife.
    <br>[​IMG]

12. Good point, I was thinking more of the race car oriented 3 link where the lower arms are relatively paralleled, not that triangulated style that Chevy used that i don't think really ever caught on anywhere else.
    I stand corrected

13. cain

cain
    from riverside

14. cain

cain
    from riverside

heres a couple photos of a chevy

Attached Files:

15. that's front suspension, pretty sure the OP was asking about rear ?????

16. If you are talking about parallel 2 link systems (T bucket style ladder bars), the 4 link is much better for handling and ride, as the ladders will want to bind in roll. The triangulated truck arm type suspension shown above has decent handling, but all the power is pushing against a crossmember, not the main rails as a 4 link does.

17. skull

skull

18. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Yea I like the Jimenez Brothers set up!

19. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Thanks everyone for the info. Definitely helps.