Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1966 Econoline E100 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl5Coupe, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So I have been watching this 1966 5 window E100 for years. It was in a fenced in area and was just out of reach. A few Saturdays ago it came up for sale and by Monday it was in my yard with the help of about 10 friends. That was cool man.

So the truck is rust free and just about dent free except for some small dents here and there. It has a 71 302 with a C6 3 speed tranny. No interior but that's ok. I'm not sure what way I will go with it. Rt now it's kinda set up for the Gasser look but in time you never know how things will turn out.

In Fence.jpg Drive way back.jpg Drive way side.jpg Wheel standing.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. I'll be following, post more pics as it comes along

3. Way cool - Looking good man

4. I'm jealous. Love those trucks.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Gasser = No
    Street Driver=Yes
    Have fun with it !

6. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Motor low.jpg Thanks guys, I'm looking for in put. Its not going to be a strip Gasser but something I can drive around town, For now it going in that direction but with the tires I get I will be able to tuck them up into the fender wells if I go low. I want to be able to pull my 31 Coupe or our 17' Shasta trailer when its done. So I don't think the Gasser look will be the final outcome.

For your entertainment I have attached some videos shortly after I got it. This is when it first started after sitting for many years. I have had it for abou 6 weeks now and I have alot of picks and videos that I will be posting in the next week, The firs pic is the motor and when it was installed the guy didn't cut the floor so is was about 5" to low since then I jucked it up and installed the correct cross member and mounts from front to back. Thumbs up.jpg

[​IMG]

7. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

8. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

9. 60-66

60-66

Econolines, A-100s & Corvair rampsides I love them all I can not wait to see what you do with it

10. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

After a few weeks all the brakes were reworked and a few other things then it was time to hit the road. No seats but the fender wells were just big enough to sit on.

More videos

She runs good but a lot of work still needs to be done. When we bought it we had no idea if it would run. It turned out that the motor and tranny are just fine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Tudor likes this.
  11. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Still trying to get the videos rt.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

droppedstepside and Tudor like this.
  12. Looks good there Carl! Post some pics of the love letters you found.

Tudor likes this.
  13. I've always liked the early Econoline vans & trucks,great to hear the V8 engine and transmission were in good shape. HRP

14. Are those GM Rallye wheels on the back? I like the way it looks now. I'd get the lighting in-order and drive it.

15. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Tony
    We found more love letters, There is like 10 or more. They were all shoved up into the visor area above the wind shield. Ronda lee was here name and she ended up pregnant and they had to get out of the trailer park. Go figure.

Woogeroo and Tudor like this.
  16. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

The rims on the back are just some stock wheels. I'm looking to put something nice on a little later.

Tudor likes this.
  17. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So we got the truck running pretty good. I did a complete tune up, changed the oil and hooked up a temp gauge. All the brakes have been reworked with new lines and internal parts and we also put a new master cylinder from a 70 Nova.

Now that we have got some of the simple stuff done My wife Deb and I sanded the truck from front to back so that we could get it in some primmer and have it look a little better. I haven't done any body work yet but I plan on painting it this spring.

Deb sanding.jpg Taped Windows.jpg In Primer.jpg

So in the end I'm think this is what I would like it to look like.

Gasser look.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

outstanding. ain't it fun to drive? i must correct you on one thing, though--your truck is a p-100.

19. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Love it. Even cooler it's already a v8

20. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Dan c
    Looking at the vin on the door it states its a E100. Where are you getting the P100? Would the P stand for pickup? The door seams to be the original door.

21. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

I like your econoline, mine is a 63, also an E100, currently attempting to install 351 cleveland motor in the front part of the bed. Can't wait till mine runs, hopefully next spring.

22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i stand corrected. did some looking and your truck is referred to as an e-100 pickup. when i had my van back in the dark ages--and practically everyone had one in the late '70s--the pickup versions were called p-100s to differentiate. maybe a regional thing. anyway, you've got a great looking truck. enjoy!

23. Nice truck Carl, looks cool. There used to be another Econoline in the club, never did any smoky burn-outs in it though... never quite got it looking like this either before I got kicked out of America...

[​IMG]

24. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Throw a Ford cammer engine in there, and you could call it "Cammed Ham". :p

25. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Hot Rod Hippie may be the name. Big A will have to help me out with that one.

I saw that pic on the Hamb earlier this week Andrew. Did you do it? Friggen cool man.

26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mean green machine....looking good...!"

27. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So I guess its time to get to work on some posting. I picked up some tires the other day, 3 seets befor I found what I liked. 1st set was BF Goodrich TA. Not liking them at all after they showed up at the dealer. The tread was not anything like the picture on the Net.
    BF Goodrich.jpg

The next set was a cool set of Hoosiers, They also looked good in the pictures on the net,
    Hoosier pick.jpg
    but when they showed up at my door, WOW, we never expected this. Like the add says they are drag tires and not street tires. But you never know till you see them 1st hand. I mounted one of the tires and it looked ridiculous.
    Hoosier tire mailed.jpg
    Hoosier flat.jpg
    Back to the net!!!

So here I am with a small budget and the price is getting higher and higher. I started at $350.00 for 2 and Im now over $500 for 2. You have to spend the cash if you want it to look right. So I found these Coker Pro-Trac tires, They are the bomb!!! Just like the old L60 tires we used to run. Nice stuff, So off to Summit I went.

Cooker at Summit.jpg
    Mounted Cooker.jpg

So I'm diggen these, They look cool as I remember from when I was a kid and if I drop the truck they will fit in the fender wells. Just fit that is. :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  28. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I stated in the 1st part of this build the motor was hanging under the truck. When they installed the V8 the removed the old 6 and stuck in the 302 and then jacked it up till it hit the floor and they stopped. So the original motor cross member was not used, they made some mounts.. Since then I went to Pull-A-Part and found what was left of a 66 van. Not much was left but I was lucky enough to get the cross member for $18,00 and a dash for $11.00. The dash is hurting but it's something to start with.
    Doner Van.jpg Cross member.jpg
    Rear out.jpg

So now the motor is in with the cross member and everything is where it belongs. The tranny mount had to be modified also. The motor is 5" higher now and the floor is cut out to accept the exhaust. The drive shaft had to be reworked as it was to short now and the rear-end spring perches were cut off and re-welded back in place at the correct angle as the motor so everything should work as it should.

Woogeroo likes this.
  29. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So when I got the truck it had no seats. Thanks to some good friends not needing some seats they had they hooked me up with the one shown earlier. I never finished the seat post so now I got them complete. Brad helped me out with bending the rear post to fit around the cut out for the exhaust. They turned out pretty good and clean looking also.

Brad Bending.jpg Bent.jpg Seat Post rt side up.jpg Seat post at Cut out 2.jpg