Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 C10 "Ol' Blue" build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigBlockBen, Feb 5, 2016.

1. BigBlockBen

BigBlockBen

20141112_170619.jpg 20141112_170629.jpg 20141112_170653.jpg Well I have been thinking of creating a build blog of Ol' Blue, a 1964 Chevrolet C10 Stepside Long Bed. The truck has a GM Goodwrench 350, with original? SM420 Top Loader 4-speed manual. It has rust in the usual spots, with immediate attention needed to the front fenders and outer floor pans. I purchased the truck in November 2014 from an old Texas doctor who used it out on his hunting ranch the last 25 years. I guess she's in not too bad shape considering that!

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Shit, that is not rusty. Solid looking truck.

3. Looks like a great start!

4. Ive owned and driven those 60 thru 66 trucks ever since my dad bought a new one in 64. There dependable and easy to work. and all the sheet metal repair & replacement parts are reproduced.

5. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Been looking for one of those 1960-1966 Chevy short bed trucks with the Fleetside for some time now. they look so good lowered. Good luck with your build, will be watching this one.

6. abner36

abner36

you got a nice start there I wish mine was that solid best of luck they are great trucks

7. raidmagic

raidmagic

I used to have a 66 that same color I drove every day for work. Mine was a 3/4 ton long bed. It had a 327 in it. I was in construction and that thing never let me down. I miss that truck, wish I never sold it.

8. BigBlockBen

BigBlockBen

Appreciate all the encouragement! I have always loved this generation of C10s. Every time my wife and I drove past the property where it was parked, I would always say " I would love to find an old truck just like that one". On my way home from work I saw that it was moved to towards the street, and I circled back around to find the "For Sale" sign in the window, and I knew I would buy it.

It runs ok, and the granny gear transmission is a little different than any other 4-speed I have driven. You really don't even need 1st gear. But it has been a long time since I have driven all drum brakes. Whoa, pretty scary. Kind of like stopping on ice.

I picked up the Stainless Steel Brake Company (SSBC) kit #A126-7, which converts the front drums to disc and includes adapter plates for the stock spindle, and retains the 6 lug wheel pattern. I hope to find some stock looking rims or smoothies in the future, so the 6 lug works for me.
    Brakes1.jpg Brakes2.jpg

And also came with the power booster. It looks a lot better than the old master cylinder...
    Brakes3.jpg Brakes4.jpg

And she stops on a dime now! I am really loving this brake kit. The only issues I had were finding the right adapters for the new master.

9. A Minus

A Minus

Good to see another 60-66 getting some love and being put back in use

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

I've got one of those kits kicking around for a mid 90's Chevy/GMC rear brake conversion. Very nice kit. Maybe one day it will end up on something. lol