Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 corvette gasser pics wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 460 willy, Mar 5, 2008.

1. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Great thread..... I bought a 62 in 1983 for $6,000. cash money. It was a hardtop only car & had been drag raced in S.C. most of its life.......I drove it as a daily driver for 5/6 yrs. & was offered SICK (at the time) money for it.
    A friend bought it.....restored it & a very large tree fell on his garage & totaled it.

I wish I still had that car!

Paco

2. Duntov-097

Duntov-097

Some cool cars here.

Here are a bunch of old Vette drag pics I put together with some music.

3. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

^^^^^ damn first post and he comes with this. I have a new hero!!!!!

4. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

no sure if this is a 62 but it's close! this is a local car. I took this at a local car show. Man I love these vettes!
    [​IMG]

5. c57heaven

c57heaven

Check November 2007 Hot Rod magazine there is a neat 58 gasser there.
    That white gasser is very cool, I see it each year at Gasser madness and must look each time.

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Man Oh Man is this stuff kool! Wowza!

7. 47 ford

47 ford

great post and great pics and vids love it

8. 1929rats

1929rats

duntov------ Thanks so much.....that is an unbelievable post & collection of C1 gasser vettes! Unbelievable!

9. Von Moldy, that's a '57. You can tell by the single headlights.

Sam.

10. Duntov-097

Duntov-097

Glad to meet some folks that appreciate modified Corvettes. We have a small group of people that are into them too. The black '62 pictured earlier is one of them.

Here are some from a track rental and dyno day we had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 62 posted earlier on the dyno.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

or 56 also. :)

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These cars are beautiful! Nice to see that not all the early Vettes have been returned to there stock configuration. ( NCRS members would have a fit if they saw these cars...lol ) ;)

13. 1929rats

1929rats

Not really a gasser, but I wanted to post this one as I think the CAR IS SUPER COOL. This vette used to run period torque thrusts on it when I first saw/learned of the car. I first saw it in worcester, MA ---Ive heard all sorts of different things about this car even that it was once a fuelie car.....fact is, I love the patina and the dual quad setups. It is a un-touched 56 corvette. I am working on diggin up a few others too......I'd hate to see this post die so post some pics, and 460 Wily....lets see that "find".......did any snow melt over the weekend?

Attached Files:

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

29 Rats, I agree it is a good thread but then again I'm a bit partial to early Vettes. Raced them back in the late sixties. Best gasser I ever saw run was Dave Kanners in Prontito, an amazing B/G with an injected 427 with a push button clutchflite.

I posted in the other related thread but here are pics of my two 62s. I have a black 62 with a 327 with a wide ratio M22 with a nose down stance that I drive regularly when the weather allows. Working on another 62 Candy Apple red with a 427 with Dart heads with a close ratio M21. Both are geared with 370 stock rear ends which of course is the weak point. The candy car I have raised with some stiffer front springs and some 2" blocks, which you can see it is raised but not as high as Vetrod's black 62 which someone earlier in the thread said they liked. He is running a 395 ci small block that he races and runs pretty strong (11s). He also has a candy 62 as well running a 532 blown and injected big block(1000HP), note the speedo to 240. Both of his cars are serious performers. On the track day some of the Vettes broke and the green 61 (big inch 11+ second small block took home the honors). There are some of us out there that like them slightly modified you could say. Jim
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Man, I'm so digging this thread. My father is big into early Vettes. He had a fawn 61 fuelie that had a 62 327,30-30 w/ later 365 intake. It was a former M/SP GreenValley class winner. He moved down here to Texas from Bound Brook NJ in 65 and bought that car to drive while in college. He sold it and later bought a 56 and currently has a 64. He sure misses his 61 though...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

Wow, Green Valley, haven't heard that in a while. They closed it just as I was graduating HS. Those pix look like Little River/Academy Dragway near Temple. Great little track.

I love the Vettes.
    Keep the pix coming.

17. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

19. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

20. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

So what ever happend to it?
    Anyone Know???

21. Jalopy Jody

Jalopy Jody
    from Fort Worth

Taken on South Congress Saturday night at the 2009 Lonestar Roundup...1960 w/ a real LS6 454 with open headers....yeah baby!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

Not a '62 but here is a picture of my '61 B/SP, Grassman, Osterman, Nicholson & Wade Corvette. Not a gasser, but a class winner at the '62 Winternationals.

Attached Files:

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Not a gasser, but my first real car that I street raced in the Seattle area, Golden Gardens & the gut in Everett in the early '70z ..................
    And a Vette gasser in waiting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bert good to see you post here. I am a big fan of early Corvette racecars as you may remember. I could only hope to own an early Vette with racing history. Plus even if it was not a gasser, how many of us can claim their car is in Larry Davis' Gasser Wars book? Plus it did pretty well taking down an AFX 421 Tempest at the 62 Winternats.

As you may alredy know the HAMB has some pretty good threads on drag racing with some of the early participants chiming in with some pretty good stories. A few of them may take days just to weave thru but worth it in the end-Jim

25. SOHC427

SOHC427

Great Post!

Those early Vettes, are sweet. That's coming from a Ford guy.

Some day, one will grace a spot in my collection!

26. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

OK magazine guys, I lost a bunch of mags years ago, somebody has to have June or July 1971 w/ "Paris Trout's" bad, black, & blown `62??? It put a heavy dent in my skull a long, long time ago! Please post pics if you have it, Please? I think it's June `71...

27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Not a gasser but it has potential :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. racemad55

racemad55

You mean Paris Fish,think he had something to do with mag wheels,loved that car also !

29. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Not to be an ass but I think they called them sports coupe, not gasser.

30. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

Thanks Jim, happy to share some pictures.
    I'm pleased to hear that you know a little about the car.
    I have to point out that the photo in Larry's Gasser book has an incorrect listing in the caption. Larry and I got together rather late in the book's formation so the picture was a "rush" job.

The man holding the class trophy in the photo is not Brendan Grassman, but was Hugh "Putzel" Osterman, the driver. Putzel never got drag racing out of his blood and he was around it till he died in the early '90s.

Putzel drove lots of different cars, including some top fuel and also had a go one evening with Pure Hell. The last time I saw him at the track he was driving a truck for Dick LaHaie. His widow and daughter are still around, ran into them at the Calif Hot Rod Reunion a few years ago.

Regards