Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953-1962 what to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Apr 19, 2015.

1. OK, I'm getting old and been looking to consolidate my 3 projects and find a modified 1953-1962 Corvette (I have a drivetrain for) as my "final" project, while I can still do the work.

*EDIT*

Thanks for all of your ideas and opinions.

1962 Chevy Corvette Barbie and Ken.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That car should be restored, it's a real gem.

3. Price sounds very fair. The fact that the body is so solid makes it worthwhile to save. One year only body style, W engine and a complete ragtop!
    My advice is to jump on it and figure it out once you get it home. Almost 10k is a chunk of money, but IMO no way you could lose on this gem. Someone will want it more than you do.

4. rag top Impala's bring good money. If you check with the boys over on the 348-409 site you will find a lot of info on these cars. The fact that the 348 is rebuilt will save you about $4-5000. As for the stick....I would leave it a AT to keep it in original build format, might be better for resale.
    Look at the rear body mounts back by the rear wheels. Most all of the ones I have seen are wasted and need replacement. Tell tale sign is rust thru or spot inside the trunk where they are attached to the trunk pan.

5. Andamo

Andamo

I don't know old you are, but if you're heart is set on a early Vette, keep looking. Sure as hell you'll buy the '61 drop top and that perfect Vette you've wanted all along will pop up. The '61 will require some work and is a very nice car, but all the money you put into it takes away from the flipping profit.

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Sure looks like that car has a lot going for it!
    That Corvette you're wanting, who knows, this car with all that interior room and comfort along with some nice power......may change your mind.

7. dudley32

dudley32

love a '61...but I would either wait for the vette or buy the '61 and flip it...

8. Love it. If you can get it operable, that car may bring a sight better then what you're paying ... certainly. It's a very uncommon car, intact ... as much as it is. You're a lucky man, and if done correctly, and luckily .... there is still much time for Corvette browsing. Gold strike in Oregon !

9. gigem

gigem

This

10. Hard call...I just made a similar decision to buy a car that I wasn't really looking for but was definitely a neat car (Corvette) that money could be made on since it was such a great deal. Only problem I see is that it can distract me for a time from other projects. In the end, I decided that the Corvette with a little work gets me either good trade material or something I can enjoy for awhile while I work on other projects.

11. lowlinc

lowlinc

I'd buy it and clean it up and sell it. that's a 15K car all day long.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Yep, quick flip it for a short profit and keep looking for the vette of your dreams. That's a high dollar car done right, requiring high dollar resto & a good bit of time involved. IF you've got deep pockets & time to spare, go for the gold. Otherwise make a few decent bucks for now to add to the vette fund & keep hunting.

13. Tony

Tony

I had a 61 impala conv about ten years ago. Completely disassembled, no motor or trans, needing quite a bit of metal work and complete restoration...
    And sold it for half the price of that one.
    My point?
    This one is much more complete, has a W motor in it and is quite possibly worth more than his asking price right now.
    Rag top X-frame Chevy's are the high water mark of Impala's and bring some serious money restored. In fact, they bring serious money unrestored as well.
    The other thing is, there are a LOT of people that want them.

If it were i, i'd buy it...fast.
    Get it running, stopping etc, clean it up and drive it. You can list it for sale as you use it, and i truly dont think selling the car will be hard, and also feel for quite a bit more money.
    As for pedal assemblies and column, 61/62 share the same firewall and dash set up, so you'd need to find one of those years for parts.
    Column's are the difficult part, but you could actually disassemble a column shift set up and convert it over to look like a floor set up. I've done them.

Anyway, thats a hell of a car at a fair price in my honest opinion. And in good running condition if its as solid underneath as you say id have a hard time believing you couldnt sell it for low 20's all day long....
    And after building both Impala's and early Vettes, i'd rather have the Impala :)

Oh yeah, i have a 348 tri power intake id sell if you buy it and are interested. :D dont have carbs though.
    Tony

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  14. F&J

F&J

Lowcat; we ain't getting any younger, and the projects in the barns aren't getting enough attention..

If you buy it, don't rip it all apart for good intentions. How about getting some hired help on this one, to get a driver repaint, fix brakes and lights, and start driving it?

If you end up liking it, then scrounge pedals, and the 3x2 parts. Those can be done after you get it usable, and actually get to drive/enjoy a "project" :).

My first "road car" at 16 in high school, was a 61 conv, with 283 with 3 speed that had a Hurst shifter. Probably my funnest party wagon I ever owned. Pile everyone in and head for the beach :)

15. town sedan

town sedan

Can't comment on price, but the '61, followed close by the '62 & '63 Chevys are about my favorite cars of all time. That's coming from a Ford man with Mopar tendencies. At the very least I'd have to own it and enjoy it for a while before passing it on. You will make the right choice what ever you decide to do. -Dave

16. One of my top favorite cars. I think it would benefit you more financially to do a cosmetic fix on it and try to save all the original paint that you could. Just clean it up, get it road worthy and double or triple your money. I think people would pay more for a car that was as original as possible. If you start investing a lot into it you will quickly find other things that need work and before you know it you are in knee deep with a car you wanted to flip and not keep. They are worth a bundle restored but even an easy restore costs a lot.
    By the way, you can find 348 3x2 a lot cheaper than 1500. I bought the whole setup with rebuilt carbs minus the air cleaner for $350 a couple of years ago. Just have to be patient and hit all the swap meets.

Andamo likes this.
  17. It's the right color - fawn beige! I've had 3 61's Impalas and Belairs and a '62 Vette that color and painted 2 other cars the same.

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I notice you said it had a Turboglide transmission. (If it's like the one in my dad's '58 Nomad, you can tell because it has "Gr" at the bottom of the pattern instead of "Lo".) I think it's a lot like a "switch-pitch" Dynaflow, and is not a three-speed. From what I know about them, I'll bet that it doesn't work anymore. They were terrible when they were new and worse with a little mileage on them. I'd be very careful of it.

19. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Sir i hope you already bought that car because its all over instagram and the impala guys are putting up finders fees for the phone number or location.

20. Tony

Tony

I seriously expected something like that to happen. Even in todays market that does not seem to be as strong as a few years back, i truly feel that car is priced right and would sell quick....if it already hasn't.

Tony

21. Ran when parked. So why was it parked? well that's easy it was running fine then it seized up maybe it was from being popping hot before we shut it off. :rolleyes:

If I was looking at an original 80K 348 '61 Impala and it was rebuilt before it was driven into the barn and parked I would have to ask myself why? Maybe it is an original 180K Impala?

Just being the voice of doubt here because no one else is going to do that for you. there are questions one must ask themselves before dropping money on an old hooptie.

Andamo likes this.
  22. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

$9,500 for that car in calif is a steal even with no motor.

23. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

The only thing holier than a '61 rag in Impala world is a '59 rag. Buy that thing right now. Make it run and stop, spend the weekend putting chrome back on and getting the primer spots off and make some Corvette money. The restoration guys don't want 4speed holes hacked in the floor and the lowriders want to put it in "D" and cruise. Go over to LayItLow and search Ace Ragtop ('61's are Aces, FYI) and you'll see that guys are spending thousands cutting up 4drs and B.O.P. convertibles to build a fake of what's sitting there with a 348 in it. That thing is an Impala wet dream.

Here's a $1750 '62 to put things in perspective.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201220788752?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Grab it, before it's gone forever !!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow. the only thing that gives me pause is the turboglide trans. no personal experience, but back in the day everybody said it was a p.o.s.

26. Bought the 61 Impala.
    Probably dragging it home next weekend.

01 DSC07616 RF SMALL.JPG

05 DSC07618b LR QUARTER SMALL.JPG 11 DSC07623 ENGINE SMALL.JPG

27. good for you! Keep us updated on the progress.