Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 F100 Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, May 31, 2009.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Since I am not getting any younger these days, but I still like to be able to get up into the back of my pickup box once in a while, so I decided to install a step to make this a little easier and safer.

I used to climb up via the towing hitch, but that is a little scary especially with wet boots, I dont need my shins grazed any more times than absolutely necessary.

So, I knocked up a step out of what I had and attached it to the Uhaul towing hitch.

Attached Files:

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Attached Files:

3. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

Man I love your hinge setup.

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here are a few pic's of my modified spare wheel holder.
    I just cut it off at both ends and added a spacer piece into account for the height of my later model spare wheel width.

If you have the original spare lay it flat next to the newer wheel you plan to use now and get a straight edge and lay it across the top of the taller wheel and measure the height difference between the new and old wheels.In my case I had changed stud patterns and hence all wheels were changed.
    The difference is the size of the stepped spacer you will need to weld in to match the two end pieces that had been cut off earlier.

I also removed the wheel center alignment piece by drilling out the rivets and replacing it with a short piece of exhaust tube cut long enough to reach the center of the new wheel.
    The height of the tube needs to be decided by which side you wish to install the wheel when laying flat as the center offset will matter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Could not agree more.
    However, it is what is in this build.
    Driving it now and can say I am OK with how things have worked out.
    I used to drive a 67 GMC which had a 327 and then ended up with a 350 which performed adequately.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well, I finally got my amber flashers installed.
    Nothing special, just some of those Redneck trailer LED flasher lights.
    Been rearend in the past and figured amber may just be better insurance for me and my old pickup.
    Also added a 3rd brake light previously for the same reason.

Attached Files:

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for your complimentary comments.
    Yes, my truck was a budget build that can be driven to most places and still haul if required.
    I needed some home comforts built into it.
    I still got to get me a working radio and would love a 2nd gas tank later.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I decided to remove my modern style air cleaner from off my quadrajet carby and at the same time replace it with an old Chrysler oil bath air cleaner that I had sitting around.

I always liked this old Chrysler air cleaner I had sitting in my shop, but never had anything to run it on, so I decided to make it fit on my 1960 f100 engine.

I found an element the correct diameter and then using a plasma cutter carefully removed all the center oil bath stuff.

I had the bottom flange plate of an old 1970's chrome air cleaner, which I trimmed to fit the cut out of the bottom of the old Chrysler air cleaner and then welded the newer flange in, so that would fit my quadrajet.

I then extended the carby center bolt to match the new height, dropped it on and hey presto a more traditional look IMHO, it probably breathes better and helps fill the large engine bay area. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2013