Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

1959 Speed Shop Part 2: Gauges!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. T-Time

T-Time Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink Member

vintage gauges give me wood.
  4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames Member

I like when I see the mix and matching of gauge needles and such done by the MFG. I am also a gauge nut but still have a ton learning to do. I don't nearly know the differences as well as I should and would like to learn a shit load more about European gauge building an use.

Almquist catalogs are the shit!!! I could study them for days!!!

I have a 5" Script Stewart Warner Tach with a crescent style needle that I would like to find out more about. I want to know what they were originally meant for? It does not appear that they were intended for Hot Rods though.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bugsy

Bugsy Member

I think it's the same thing that draws most folks to the cockpit of a vintage plane as well....something about all those gauges and meters!! They are works of art in themselves. I think that the dash of the car can make it or really break it. On a small scale, it's kinda like being drawn to mission control at Houston...all those dials and needles!!
  6. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

According to what i read They stopped making big logo's in 57or 58, and wings in 53 or 54, and convex in '56?
  7. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Could have been Military or Industrial- Lots of those around:

http://www.roadsters.com/sw/#military
  8. zipoleon

zipoleon
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want one of those mini-tachs!
  9. 39cent

39cent Member

around 56 -58 we just wanted to use SW gauges, but i didnt see the wings, or i would have got them. later on I saw wings in older rods. I do recall the blue ones but even then we were somewhat traditional, and I didnt go for those, too fancy, as i recall I was sorta traditional even back then, when we were putting a lotta new gadgets on, ie 4 speeds, automatic trans,open drives, etc.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  10. T-Time

T-Time Member

That's my understanding, too. That is why I found it interesting that they were all in the 1959 catalog. Either it is wrong that they had stopped making them, or there were a lot still unsold by 1959. Either way, they would be correct for a period built at least to 1959, since they were still being sold.
  11. 39cent

39cent Member

the blue gauges were around for awhile, in customs and such,but it wasnt 'cool' to have them in a roadster in my locale, we had some older rodders around the riverside area, [both lakes and drag racers] and us youngsters followed thier lead. I mean if you had a rod and they looked it over at the drive in, and didnt have a good response we knew we screwed somethin up. ggggg. If you had a beater and thats all you could afford, the work couldnt be 'mickey mouse'.