Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Caddy tail lights in my '39 Ford coupe ideas needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by birdman1, May 30, 2014.

1. birdman1

birdman1

got 4 1959 Cad tail lites I want to put in my 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe. I am thinking of installing them where the original tail lites were, one vertically above the other. right in the middle of the fender peak. Or better up higher and on the outer side of the fender peak? an pictures would be great, you guys seem to have all kinds of neat pictures of cars.Thanx

2. This link should take you to an index page of carnut.com where there are many pictures of 1939 and 1940 Fords in all kinds of configurations. You will just have to wade thru them to see if any have the Caddy tail lights.
    http://carnut.com/photo/list/ford.html

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think you want to "cup" the lights together and angle them somewhere between the 'mean angle' of the deck lid and the 'mean angle' of the fender. One is too much for the job, the other maybe not enough. The cup would look best (to my eye) on the outer 1/2 of the fender, but center it from the rear on that outer 1/2. For hgt I'd put the bottom light with it's lowest portion even with the deck lid lower opening and what ever "feels good" for spacing. If the lid opening is too low (can't see it in my mind rt now), simply raise the pair to suit. For the outer edge of the cup you could play with an arched finish that compliments the wheel opening, the inner edge could compliment the arch of where the fender mounts to the body. I hope at least some of what I'm suggesting makes sense.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

PLEASE, do not install 59 Caddy tailights on a 39-40 Ford.
    It will cheapen the iconic lines of the car and ruin one of the design features that
    made these cars "Classics". Bob Gregorie's original design is the best.
    Keep the stock tail lights.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I second 19Fordy's comment above. Truth is, I saw you post shortly after you opened the thread and replied....."the Caddy taillights would look best remaining in the boxes they came in".....then, I thought, maybe that's a little 'snarky', and I deleted the post. But, it is my opinion.

Dago 88 and dorf like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I saw a pair put into some 62ish Corvette housings and then sunk into the fenders more towards the top, that didn't look bad. I've seen them tunneled and I've seen them just bolted on and was not a fan either way.

7. F-head

F-head

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

41 Studebaker are ok, BUT nothing beats the Chevron.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

you asked for ideas....don't... I did not like them in 1960 and my opinion has not changed. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. JMHO

Dago 88 likes this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Caddy lights have been way over done...

Dago 88 likes this.
  11. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

As a general rule, I'd say a big resounding NO to '59 Caddy tails on anything other than a '59 Caddy.

But...

...if you want to go that way, you have to go all the way. To make them work, the rest of the car has to be a bonkers early-'60s custom. The paint, upholstery, and other body mods have to be as 'space-age' as the tail lights. And in that case, the lenses must be well frenched.

...to do any otherwise will just look tacked-on and inconsistent.

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that lately they are being way over done and done wrong all too many times. If you "have" to do it french them in so only part of the bullet lens protrudes out of the fender and they don't look stuck on as an afterthought. Here is a side shot of my 51 Merc with 59 Cad bullets tunneled in.
    [​IMG]
    Lower rh photo is more from the back off this scan of old photos
    [​IMG]

13. Model T1

Model T1

I've had a 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe since the mid 70's. The best tail lights for it are the ones that came in 1939. Why do you think so many other cars had them added?
    Altho I do understand to build a custom changing tail lights is part of the custom plan. That body style needs a flatter type tail light to blend in with the fender.
    Yet after all of these years a stock 1939 Ford is automatically different already.
    However I do like 59 Caddy tail lights. I have several sets with the french kits. Just never used them.
    To answer your question, I'd french two on each outer side of the rear fenders, one above the other.

14. I really like 59 Caddy tail lights......on a 59 Caddy!!!

15. sub006

sub006

Uh-huh, you just NEVER see '39 tear drops on A's or Deuces! I only like '40 Standard grilles because they look like the GORGEOUS '39 Deluxes. I got over the '40 headlights, '39s look more like Zephyrs. And you can keep your sissy "racer" column shifters...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  16. 39s had teardrops. 40s had the chevrons

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sounds like you should rethink your choice of lites. Im with the majority 59 caddys are way over done. But its your car do as you please.

18. birdman1

birdman1

I like this install, looks conservative. thanks for you advice, don't worry, I'm too stupid to be insulted! the car has only a left side tail light (1939) on it now, may leave it that way. I have no rear bumber, and the trunk lid will be smooth, no hardware on it at all. thanks again guys

Attached Files:

19. randy

randy

'59 Cad, '56 Packard lights, Desoto grille, '53 Buick side trim...The list of clichés is too long to type and the fact that '59 Cad lights are popular isn't your fault, but don't be THAT guy who throws some kustom with a "K" BS at your car due to a lack of imagination.

I walked around the Santa Maria show a couple weekends ago and was mainly impressed with how LITTLE creativity went into so many of the customs. Using '59 taillights on a custom is not unique, different or intriguing. my thoughts...

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

59 Caddy tail lights looked bad on a 59 Caddy. They will look worse on a 39 Ford.

21. If that's what ya gotta do, tunnel 'em like the truck in post 18 so they don't look like nipples. Better choice? '58-60 Corvette....

22. birdman1

birdman1

I looked at a lot of pictures of 39&40's with caddy and custom tail lites. i think it actually does look best with stock lites! anybody want to buy 4 caddy tail lites?? LOL

Dago 88 likes this.
  23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Birdman: Glad you "saw the light."

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

agree with many--not for this car

25. 'Mo

'Mo

I ran across this picture on Rikster's site.

[​IMG]

(Edited: Removed quote.)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Model T1 likes this.
  26. birdman1

birdman1

Just to be clear, I asked for pictures of caddy tail lites in a 1939 ford!! Thanks for all the help, and your opinions!!

27. birdman1

birdman1

well, I wanted an excuse to use my new chinese grade plasma cutter, so here goes nothing. 102_0852.JPG 102_0854.JPG

Model T1 likes this.
  28. Model T1

Model T1

birdman1 keep us posted on your progress. The only way to build a custom is just do it your way.