Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Chevy (South East Gasser) "The Vagabond"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bean Dip, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Well if they are that heavy I would suffer lifting them up to get them shut. My car actually weighed 10 pounds more after the glass nose doors and paint, lot of work for the same weight.

2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I actually picked my steel doors ( with glass) up and stood on a scale with them...83-85 lbs each

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I'll make a video of me weighing the doors

4. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn I thought my doors were heavy. I will have to weigh it.

5. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

My memory sucks but their heavy as hell! I'll reweigh them on camera and then weigh my finished glass doors.

6. My glass door gutted without Upper window frame was 17 pounds, steel was 26. I only saved 18 pounds on both doors but the Henry J was a light weight from them factory.

7. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I was astonished by how heavy these doors are. Every time I have to move them all I can think of is how much they will slow the car down. Maybe I'm off a few pounds but I'll bet they are between 73-85 lbs.

8. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Mr. Dip, Sir, you may want to consider stripping your original doors of everything but opening mechanism, use aluminum panel & lexan window. Mine are done this way and are pretty light. A lot cheaper than glass, but mine is no wheelstanding, 9 sec monster.

Bean Dip likes this.
  9. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

They are gonna be as bare bones as I can make them Jimmy. I would kinda like to use the original door handles but fear the work involved in doing so. That and I think I have a fairly straight forward idea on how to make them latch.
    Wife is having a yard sale today...if we sell everything I may have enough for one door.

Speaking of money... I have been kicking around the idea of searching out some sponsorship but a bit unsure on how to seek it out. I have a few ideas I wanted to share with you guys for your thoughts and opinions.
    I have enough money..or can "acquire" enough to finish the car however sponsorship on any level would be most desirable. :) The plan is to take the car to as many events as possible and since most of the events I'm interested in are out of state..well you get the idea.

Here are my ideas and please feel free to add your own.

Just as most race cars have done and still do I would like to sell/rent space on the car for signage. I have considered "selling" space which means that business name would stay on the car until it's ultimately melted down and sent to China to make toenail clippers or "renting" space which means I will remove the signage from the car at the end of the race season. I'm going to start contacting some people probably today and if any of you are interested or know someone that might be then please let me know. Haven't really worked out pricing yet but obviously permanent status would be higher. All locations on the car are available accept the doors .
    I have already received a magazine offer, and it will be all over YouTube and whatever else pops up. South East Gassers are taking over and this is the ONLY one in Texas...as of now.

Another idea I have is selling T-Shirts of the car. Kinda have to wait until it's lettered I suppose but maybe not. I started life as an art major so I will do the artwork myself. I was/am a cartoonist and favor a kind of crude style. I did this one in blue ink in one night in a bit of a rush. Anyway that's where my mind is at today...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412351524.424446.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    enloe likes this.
  10. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

And the verdict is.....

11. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Save the cash and trim them doors up I am sure you can cut the weight in half or better ....

12. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Maybe but a glass door starts at only 12 lbs!!! Sure would be less money and work though. Hell just those bulky hinges alone weigh a ton. 150 lbs shaved off is a 0.15 seconds advantage in the 1/4.. Doesn't sound like much but it is.

....plus I can sell them!!!$$$$

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  13. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Before
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412358287.752117.jpg

After
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412358308.700260.jpg

I like mig flux core for most things. Gonna have to start practicing with the TIG again soon. Also need beefier breakers too because that little dude really draws some amps!

14. Wow Bean that rear is nice nice nice! I missed a bunch over here - the notices are not on again. You need to jump on the Meltdown 2015 thread Ric is hammering the trash talk. Need some help buddy!

15. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Oh he is??!...... :D I will have to see what you guys have going on over there tonight.
    Had to stop working to go buy another tape measure because mine has walked off.

16. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Knocking off for the night but got some good work done today. That little bit of rest did me some good .
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412380762.382656.jpg

17. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I think I may have this axle licked. I'm about to mount the wheels and see how it sits and how the shackles line out. Amazing how much of this is just guess work. I "think" this angle should be about 45* once the full weight of the car is resting on the ground but who knows really. As of right now the axle is PERFECT!

That lip I have on the front spring mount will be adressed later in the day.. The spring mounted a touch out board on both sides but I'm just gonna give it extra bracing..you'll see. Hopefully the car doesn't sit over 15 1/2". Fingers crossed.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412530645.366961.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412530662.425124.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412530677.946861.jpg

18. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

15 3/4" drivers side and 15 1/4" passenger side. Blech... I notice passenger side shackle has a bent more angle in it so I'm going to cut and adjust that and see if that helps. I honestly feel like the car is setting its own ride height. Does look good though. I'll post some pics once the shackle is fixed.

19. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Alright well..I tightened the spring perch bolts and now my shackles are identical and the drivers side supposedly sits a 1/4" higher but really who's to say the body isn't a touch higher on that side??! The more I do this shit the more I realize the imperfection which are inherent in these cars. My buddy James tells me that in reality cars are pretty crude..I'm believing it. I'm gonna call that "1/4 inch off" good because my fat ass will lower it some anyway. That and the front is perfectly level. Here are some pics of how it sits. The rear is pretty much level with the front and I plan on having it about an inch lower than that...maybe more.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412535501.948756.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412535517.759083.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412535531.177470.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412535544.968269.jpg

Shackle angle with load
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412535567.572407.jpg

enloe likes this.
  20. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Looking good Bean, glad to see you worked it out! If it was easy we would all get bored and quit.

Bean Dip likes this.
  21. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks buddy!

Aesthetically speaking....you think I should box this gusset?

22. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Don't know about the aesthetics part. All I know is if this thing is gonna be up and down and all over banging gears like the rest of that bunch I've seen on the videos, I think some gussets would be a good idea.

Bean Dip likes this.
  23. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Meant to say boxing of them would be in order

24. Yea do gussets, you will be glad you did latter when you are beating the car, and hauling ass! Looks really nice! Mikey.

Bean Dip likes this.
  25. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412547320.672496.jpg

26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thinking about drilling and welding a piece of pipe into the bottom fixed spring mount since its kinda long. I just loathe drilling fucking holes! I have a badass drill and when it catches it your ass! I knew it was coming today and sure enough it spun around and smacked me full in the face. Haha.. Put my hand into the wire brush on the grinder several times and have any of you ever burnt yourself with a welder to the point where you smelt burning flesh??! I did that about 3 times.. But the axle is in place so I'm thrilled!

27. I hear ya man, spent sat morning bleeding in my shop, but still had fun and got some things on the coupe addressed !! Still better than bleeding at work.

Bean Dip likes this.
  28. Looks good, what did the crank centerline end up being ?

29. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Man that's for sure!!!
    Today was the first time in a while that I felt like I was back on track. I just slowed way down and everything seemed to fall into place.

30. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I'm not sure lemme go see.