Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Chevy (South East Gasser) "The Vagabond"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bean Dip, Nov 27, 2013.

1. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

It's been a long build. Wish I had taken more pics. I originally built this car 17 yrs. ago, totaled it in an accident on the way to the muffler shop 3 months after I built it. Then it sat buried in my garage for almost 10 yrs. Finally drug it out and rebuilt it. Sometimes I think I go out and look at it just because I can't believe I managed to pull it off.

powrshftr likes this.
  2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Man I have looked under both of your profiles and I can't seem to find the build thread?!

3. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Never did one on it. Back when I originally built it I didn't know about the HAMB. Joined back in 2011. I'm the world's worst about getting pics of stuff. Took a bunch of the 22 cans of red and black satin rattle can paint job and then a bunch on the new black paint, then lost most all of them when my phone crapped out. Getting that body straight enough for the black to look decent was not any fun. What I figured would be at the worst a month of body work turned into six! Never took a single pic of altering the wheelbase, I get going and don't think about it. Definitely needed one of me inside the car standing on the ground with the torch in my hand wondering "What the hell have I done now?" But I think I can say I have the only altered wheelbase 55' studebaker 2-door champion sedan on planet earth. Don't know if that is something to brag on or if I am just that ignorant. I wanted something different. Stude car with a buick motor. That ought a do it. It's fun to drive, but I need to get busy on the new motor, this motor in it now has been in it since I built this car. Lost count of how many passes on it. I think it's tongue is starting to hang out!

Bean Dip likes this.
  4. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Damn, I need to shut up Bean, this thread is supposed to be about your car.

5. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Not at all man! I just look at it like hanging out in my shop with my friends talking cars. I enjoy hearing about everybody's trials and tribulations. I just now realized that I have raced at some of the same events as you back when I had my T. Car just looks so different now with the black paint. Looks damn good!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Yeah, met you at the spring nostalgia race at Little River a couple years ago. Gonna go to Day of the Drags? I'm gonna try and hit DOTD and the final Southwest Heritage race at Ennis. Hope the old motor has got 20 or so runs left in it.

7. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

That would be fun! I know it's in October sometime usually but that's all I know. If I have that weekend off then definitely. I don't forget faces so I will remember you when I see you again. Terrible with names but I can recognize people I haven't seen in over 30 years.

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Bean Dip likes this.
  9. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yes please do! I'll check it out as soon as I get to the house.

10. Hey, you can't give up now I just bought a big block for my Henry J to try and keep up.

powrshftr and Bean Dip like this.
  11. afaulk

afaulk

How's it going Bean Dip?

12. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Cool!!! Don't worry buddy I ain't going anywhere... I'm a lifer. Hard to explain to non-hot rod people how much it means to me. Sure dont like being called a hobbyist/enthusiast though. I try not to be a dick about it but that feels condescending.

P.s. tell us 'bout that big block..

13. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Great man! Just trying to steal some time to work on it. Plan on getting out there tonight. Just now got off work. Everything's ok in my camp. I'll should have some pics/vids in a few days or so.

14. It's just a little one with aluminum heads but had 540 tq at 3000, 598 at 4700 and 505 at 6. I picked it up on Monday night then had emergency surgery on Tuesday. I get to do nothing for two weeks now....boring !

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

Shit!Hope you're ok Phil,and I hope the surgery wasn't on your shifting arm or your clutch foot!:)

Scott

16. Well Scott something that wasn't expected for sure. I had a seizure, well a couple, turns out I have a perfectly good heart except for some electrical impulse issue. Which makes the heart stop beating so I had to get an emergency pace maker of all things.

17. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Dang,..that's awful man. :( I wouldn't begin to know how to respond to something like that if I was in your spot. Sheeeeeew! Hate to hear about that happening to anyone. Life can be a real shitter sometimes. I'm happy that is appears you came out of it ok?!

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Holy shit Phil!
    I'm sorry to hear that,but relieved to hear that they are on top of things,and taking measures to keep you up and running on all cylinders!:)

Also,you're in an elite group of celebrities now,you know that,right....?
    Here's another guy that's equipped with a similar setup that jump-starts him every time his oil pump goes wonky:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411966242.637867.jpg

Glad to hear you're ok,but never believed anything could keep you down for long!:)

Bean:
    Why don't you ask Phil to show you the magic truck where he saws a sbc in half...?
    It's a pretty impressive trick,and even got him some ink in CC mag!:)

Scott

19. cking894

cking894

I just stumbled on this post of your '56 Chevy Gasser build Bean. It took me a couple hours to read through all of it. It looks like all of you are doing a great job on your cars. I am in the process of turning my '56 Chevy into a Gasser also. The avatar if my '56 Chevy that I've owned for about 34 years. It currently is sitting on a '82 Chevy Impala chassis. I did that twenty some odd years ago and it's been a fun driver, but after watching the Gassers on Youtube videos and having a couple buddies build '55 Chevy Gassers I was hooked. I purchased a '55 Chevy frame about six months ago and we started working on it.

Here is a picture of my frame. This picture is from a couple months ago. We have moved the rear springs under the frame and have narrowed up a Ford 9" rear end.

[​IMG]

I will be keeping an eye on your progress for some inspiration.

Keith

Bean Dip likes this.
  20. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

COOL! Can't go wrong with a gasser! Keith do plan on doing a build thread?

21. cking894

cking894

I don't think I'm going to post one on here. The stuff I build isn't necessarily traditional so it's usually not well received by everyone here. I have started on on the Gasser Forum http

I do watch here a lot because there are a lot of guys that know a lot and share it. There are also a lot of great cars on here.

http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/showthread.php?1360-Tri-Five-Chevy-Gassers

Keith

22. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I totally understand. I'll go check out your car first chance I get. Happy to have you along for the build!

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Just checked out the "builds" Keith and their all real cool! The work you guys did on the rear end was more than I ever thought to do. Yep, I farmed that project out,....hmm...come to think of it..I need to see if its ready for pick up?!

24. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Bean no unerstan' haf enjun....haf enjun sownd lik haf fun...Bean lik all of enjun 2 mek lil childrn cry an ol peeple wet pantz
    caveman_2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    enloe likes this.
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

BAAAAAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

He blowed up a sbc motor so good one time it near sawed itself in half,and landed a pic of it in CC Magazine:)

....Ya giant,politically incorrect dick.

Lmao! :D

You made me laugh so hard I peed a little.

Anybody got some ice for this burn?Anybody?No....?Youre all stayin clear of this shit,huh...?
    Lol

The Artist formerly known as Powrshftr

Bean Dip likes this.
  26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

OHHHHHH!!.....well that makes a lot more sense to me. Hehehe..me not PC??!!...that's the best compliment I think I have ever received on here! PC=tow the line=don't offend=keep yer yap shut=(insert political rant)

I honestly believe PC to be the most offensive and dangerous mind set ever to invade our country! FUCK PC!!!!!!

powrshftr and enloe like this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

bean I finally got the pics loaded from the gear jam drags.
    there are some pics of the Old Dirty Bastard 56 Gasser

Bean Dip likes this.
  28. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

OH YEAH!!! Soon as I get away from work I will go drool on your thread!!! Pant-pant-pant

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

And yes,that was totally a compliment :D

PC should be a term for those needing a "Punch" in their "C*nt" :D

Scott

Bean Dip likes this.
  30. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

My wife says I only hear what I want too..maybe it's true!!? Haha! Shit dude whatever it takes to get through the day I say. LOL!