Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Pontiac gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Aug 10, 2010.

1. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

You can make we all have faith!!!!!!!

2. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Go for it man! :cool:

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Here's a few pics taken at the Meltdown. I have some fuel surging issues i'll fix that held me back. But no other problems except for me getting used to driving the car. But it ran safely down the track with no breakage. I had a blast, what a way to break my car in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    benchseat4speed likes this.
  4. hellerods

hellerods

Thanks for the pictures, it made my day!!!!

5. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Thanks for thrashing and getting it on the track...we loved a pair of Pontiac Gassers on the track....TO COOL!!!!! Thank you both!

6. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

good looking car. ran good in byron

7. 5w32

5w32

awesome ...keep up the good work!

8. SOLO

SOLO

Great job! Now you can relax a little from the thrashing. Feels good, doesn't it?

9. Lild

Lild

Seeing your cars at the meltdown and then seeing the build thread. Too cool. Something different among the sea of Chevys

10. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Very cool Pontiac!

11. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Wow Bill,
    That car has come along way from when it was in your Washington garage. What were you and the old Injuns times?

12. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

I had a 55 4 door wagon that was a Lions runner. 389 with 421 heads twin AFBs & a B&M hydro. I had to shut it down every time I went thru the drive thru. Early VW low back bucket seats look great in it.

13. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Beautiful Car! I wish you were closer, I have a camshaft I would donate to the cause.

14. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go Chiefton.................next year.....meltdown 2012

15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks guys, I do plan on going next year after several upgrades...

Fuel system, exhaust than worry about the rear after I have traction issues after the other stuff gets fixed

16. That Poncho is soo F$£€ cool, man I want to build a Gasser myself! I keep promissing myself, someday!

klaus

17. hellerods

hellerods

Thanks for showing that Poncho's can run with the big dawgs. Good luck. and keep up the good work.

18. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Too cool dude. Congrats! what did it run?

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks for all the comments. My et's really aren't worth mentioning considering my carb was running out of gas halfway thru 2nd gear . I'm running a 800 cfm qjet, I know not really period correct but it's what I have and the car runs pretty good with it-outside of trying to keep fuel in it. I need to replumb my fuel system, either sump my tank and go 8an (1/2") or at least go with a 3/8" sender over my current 5/16" and put in a better electric pump.

benchseat4speed likes this.
  20. HFKND1

HFKND1
    from Peoria, IL

Seen ya at the Meltdown and then in Pekin this weekend and had not seen this thread and did not realize you are a local.
    Hope you can make it out to the Run What Ya Brung Drag Fest at Cordova next Saturday and of course to the Bombs Away Bash on Aug 27th.

Car looks and sounds great nice work!!!

21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got some video of a couple of my runs at the Meltdown Drags. Big thanks to Hamber 50John for sending me a copy. All my runs were against Hamber "Old Injun" , a real 60's racer 56 Pontiac "Old Injun".

This first pass was alot of first for me. First time i've drag raced, first time to drive this car. I was nervous and excited at the same time. I'll admit and it shows in the video where I was supposed to line up and kept staging with my back tires, than once I got down the track trying to get used to the b&m shifter. So take it easy on me for looking stupid, I was just happy to get my car down the track after 7 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkv7An9OrI&feature=player_detailpage

The 2nd video I think was my 2rd pass and by this time my carb/fuel was hot and felt like it was vapor locking down the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f4to2fo1Z-Y

I've since got a sumped fuel cell and will run 1/2 lines and also will have a return system to keep fresh fuel to the carb.

Also on my rear springs, especially the lr which I thought were ok, decided to lay down on me from the extra pressure from the front end. I put in another shackle to lift it a bit and a week later it was worse than without the extra length shackle. So i'm going to take them apart, rearch the springs and I have some extra springs i'm going to add in. Also I think I will flip the springs forward so I have more material on the front end of the spring than clamp them all down together to prevent any axle wrap up . I may even add in a few small coil springs I have that are brand new for helper springs?

22. Way to go, congrats on getting it out on the track, lot of work to get where you are.

23. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I love the 55. I use to run a 70 gp 455 4 speed that car was fun !! I have a 41 pontiac coupe. I wonder what kind gasser that would make

24. billys54

billys54

25. chieff51

chieff51

do you know where I could find a hurst front mount motor mount? i need of one.

26. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got the rear spring deal done for now. I took the springs apart and the extra rear pair of springs I had all apart and doubled up the 3 middle springs. I used a grade 8 - fine thread 5/16 x 3" bolt , 1" longer than stock and rounded the head off for the centering pin, the stock one was way too short with the added springs and also the u bolts for the leafs springs were replaced with longer ones. The rear sits about 2 higher without the sagging. I already spent the money and time putting in new bushings on the main leaf so this should work, it's stiffer but I expected that.

I also unshaved my door handles, I had an extra door and made a template . Someone welded pieces to the backside of the door, instead of trying to remove that, I got the holes for the handle done and really didn't need to remove the inside stuff because of how the handle mounts to the door.

chieff51 check the Hamb classifieds, I saw a few for sale there. Just search pontiac under the parts for sale section.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Are you going to radius the rear fenderwells?

28. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Not yet, I'll wait till traction becomes an issue. I'm not sure how sticky the hurst piecrust slicks are but I did find another tire that may work from Hoosier too. Or go with the American Racers that are a dirt track tire, the old McCreary brand tires. These were only about 100 apiece and would work fine at my power level. The lower the series (bb) are the softer tires

http://www.americanraceronline.com/racing-tires/passenger.html

29. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Getting a little more done, although not real sure how HAMB friendly a fuel cell is. However without having to worry about a rusty fuel tank and being able to supply the engine with the amount of fuel it needs it will be worth it. Plus the fresh paint for the trunk and got the firebreak installed .

[​IMG]

30. superchargedill

superchargedill

Looking GREAT Bill. You have guts hustling to get the car going and take it straight to the drags. YeeHawwwwww man!!!! especially never having drag raced and a new car to boot. You have cajones grande. Hows the fuel/ carb issue now ?