Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1955 Packard awaiting rescue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by propwash, Dec 20, 2010.

1. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Found this is my travels today. Body appears reasonably solid, interior not so much. Sign in window says: $1500 OBO 702 689 2608 (Las Vegas). Just noticed I cut off the RR - the taillight is there and intact.

dj

Attached Files:

2. 62rebel

62rebel

i hope it gets rescued for a driver and not for those taillights. too many cars get "donored" into the scrapyard that way.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Those aren't the desirable tail lights anyway.

Unless it runs and has a title, that's probably a little overpriced for a 4 door sedan. Neat cars but not a ton of following for them. If it's a non runner I'd say they should be happy to get $800 for it. The "best offer" tag is encouraging, hopefully it'll find a safe home.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Looks like a Patrician or Clipper from here, but can't see the details. Yes, hopefully, it'll get saved!

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yeah, SquawBlow, the car looks pretty complete (but for details), but I hope the owner is amenable to a reasonable offer. Honestly, the later Packards just don't seem to have developed much of a market. So, again, I hope the guy will be reasonable.

But, is this just a Clipper, or is it a more senior car? Without seeing the badging, I can't say much of value here, really. Since it's a 4DS, I can't tell from these pix if it's a 400, Patrician, but I'm pretty sure that's no Caribbean.

Good shape! Help, Packard guys!

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

had the ship's wheel emblem in the grille, so it's a Clipper

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, PropWash. I'm glad you can see the details, given the distance from where the pix had to be taken. Thanks, man.

But, it's pretty complete. So what do you think? Is this a thousand-dollar car, being 4DS?

8. theredlineboss

theredlineboss
    from Taylor, MI

Reported the above post as spam.

-Rob

9. It might be because I'm from Australia, $1500 seems like a great buy.

10. WQ59B

WQ59B

No Clipper; this is a big boy: you can partially see on the deck it reads 'Packard Patrician'. 'True' senior Packard; gets you 5" more wheelbase and a 352 under hood instead of the Clipper's 320.

11. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

wow, i hope someone picks this thing up

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

WQ59B

thanks, happy to stand corrected. My only experience with Packards is their wonderful large cube V8s which I've had the pleasure to enjoy in other cars.

I'm ashamed to admit that while I took the rear photo, I didn't bother to read the trim on the trunk. But I'm positive there's a ship's wheel in the grille.

dj

13. WQ59B

WQ59B

Not to nitpick (the emblem on the car you saw could have been switched out) but the original emblems from a distance can certainly be confused:

'55 Clipper:
    [​IMG]

'55 Packard:
    [​IMG]

The big 'V' tells the tale.

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

WQ59B - you could be right - I 'saw' the wheel after I drove away and composed the original post - do the same thing when I look in the mirror - see dark-haired Elvis look-alike from "back when".

O/T - have an old friend (not seen in years) was WA7BKZ - dunno if he's still active or even atop the horizon.

dj

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Second time today, somebody has schooled me on this model. And, yep, definitely says "Patrician" on the trunk lid. The Clipper would have only said "Packard" at the lower right, BELOW the trunk lid. Plus, the hood would clearly say Clipper, I do believe.

So, looks to be a bargain, for the condition. But since they say BEST OFFER, show up with cash and a trailer -- you just might go home with a DESIRABLE last-series Packard!

16. 62rebel

62rebel

if it were only closer. there was one of these in the woods near my Dad's orchard in Virginia, along with a LOT of other old iron.... belonged to the ORIGINAL "Gunnars".

"Gunnar": i'm GUNNAR fix that car up someday.

17. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

The wheelbase will tell you if it's a patrician or not. Any of the other parts could have been changed. My 56 Clipper had a Packard grille in it.

18. WQ59B

WQ59B

World's Quickest '59 Buick

Clipper had very different side trim (design & length) than the senior cars (see above pics), and swapping that out on an unrestored cars seems pretty unlikely here, but anything is possible. Grilles I would believe bolt in/ interchange.

19. If the car had been in an accident, it might explain a grille swap. My guess is that it's a 'senior' Packard, judging by the trim.

It would make a nice project for someone...

20. customline54

customline54
    from S.B.C, Ca

good luck old packard, hope you find a good home. That will make a cool cruiser

21. super-six

super-six

Does not have Clipper taillights either.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right. Here's a Patrician. I don't have a handy pic
    to show the Clipper tail lights. This is a Patrician.

[​IMG]

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Not a highly desireable Packard but if it runs and the interior is complete, it's worth the asking price.
    The body looks really straight and most all the trim looks to be good. a decent two or three tone (Neopolitan;grey, pink, with a white roof) paint job and that car would come alive!!!.

A guy with a wife and kids who was on a budget and was looking to put together a 50's car to attend cruise night with the family could do a lot worse. It would be a good project to get his foot in the door. If he could do his own work and paint work, he might only have a total of 5 or 6 grand into it.

24. If i had the room for it i would be making a trip to Vegas right now with the trailer behind me to pick myself up a Christmas gift for myself. I guess i can dream.

25. super-six

super-six

Yes, I can picture it now with that 3-tone grey, pink, and white, with a set of factory wires and wide whites!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I wish you last three poster could lay hands on the 352-CID senior Packard.

YES! Fresh paint in "Neopolitan" scheme, and folks would be turning their heads at a cruise-in and saying, "Wow! What is THAT!"

You could do a lot worse for impact. Plus, when your found your coupe or roadster, you could flip the Packard to a Pack lover and reinvest! Win-win!

27. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Wow..........that guy that traded the 50 Olds for the New Yorker may want it...lol

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jeesh, Tex, if I'd ever won a lottery, THIS car would be in MY museum and perpetual drive-in for ALL HAMBers! LOL

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year! everybody!