Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Chevy VIN - Can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by specsintexas, Oct 26, 2011.

1. You should go thru the Texas methods of correcting the number to match you orig W/S post stainless tag if it is still welded there....

Let me share a funny side bar to this post and it's statements.
    Back as recent as 1969 a lot of states did follow protocol with any other states and did whatever they could or in some cases wanted to set the processes of registering a car with a number in question.....

My '56 Chevy 2 dr post I had in hi school was my daily driver at that time...It had been bought by me at a Chevrolet dealer with the original six cyinder stick.running poorly.
    I swapped in a 283 then a 327 later and was driving it on the 6 plates....common practice back then as law enforcement was not as prolific as nowadays.

Long story short- I was pulled over by an oficer who was into more detail than most at the time.
    He checked my car over on the street and saw the descrepency of 6 cyl on title and V8 in the engine bay....

I was required to pay a ticket for loud pipes and also reuired to bring the car to our local highway patrol station for numbers check.
    The tag on the W/S post was [and still is] intact and matched the title numbers.
    The 6 vs 8 cyl liscence plate costs and taxes however did not match up.

They checked over the car and all numbered items and here is what they did.
    My 56 was re titled and had to be re inspected and new plates issued using the 1963 327 engine numbers on my block in the car!

So from that date on the "new" title did not match the number on w/s post tag!
    Fast forward 33 years and after rediscovering my old 56 I now have it again.....

However no title was now with this car.
    After an exhaustive search I cannot find any info thru the state to verify that it is my car,or I ever owned it.

I know that it was never registered after I sold it from info I got tracking it down,however the records are not kept over 5 years in Missouri on inactive title cars [and even my "crime"record] has expired....so the moral of the story is- almost anything can happen with your old cars and their paperwork...

2. Abomb

Abomb

Here are the problems all layed out for you. If Tx doesn't require you to have an inspection, that Rogue guy is correct, you can buy it and tag it without a problem. If I wanted to buy it however, KS requires me to have it inspected. It would not pass that inspection, and I would not get a shiny new KS title. His fourth point is very important too. Say you have an accident in the car...they won't pay to fix your car if they can't verify that it IS the car you pay to insure. Worse, you'll be on the hook for any personal injuries associated with the accident as well, so on top of losing your car, you'll have lost everything else you own....make the owner straighten out the paper work first, it is in your best interest.