Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1955 Chevy Gassers Owners Wanted? Post them Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Sorry man I forgot, the '56 also has billet rear wheel spacers, but don't tell the tech guys at the drag strip, there kind of illegal.

2. damn dude i've seen your car in person..... can't believe your giving this guy this much shit.

3. Oh ya, one last thing, on most of these threads a guy post pics, and every one tells them what a great job and the parts they like, and usually keep the negative comments to their self, unless asked. If you check, you'll see many threads that ask for help or an opinion, I just felt like you were giving your opinion when it wasn't asked for. Maybe we should start a post on your car that asks what should I change.

4. Thanks RickyRacer.., my centimeters exactly!

5. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Guys!
    Let's stick to the thread title here! Just checked the thread after being away for a week up north and see this crap going on? If you got something bad to say about a guys car then keep it to yourself unless they are asking for your opinion!

Lets just chalk people's choices to affordability and taste with why a guy puts certain parts on his ride. Besides, if we all liked the same thing we all would be looking at the same car on this thread. I love looking at the pics on this thread and watching it grow with everyones creations. So lets keep it clean. It would be really crappy if this garbage continued and wrecked a decent thread with lots of eye candy!

Here are a couple more pics of my 55 with the rear wheels and tires now installed. I have to get out in the garage and get back to work!
    Jay

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First time on the road yesterday.
    [​IMG]

7. Just giving an opinion about what I thought he should change. Not trying to bag on the guy. Everybody calm down. Ya wanna run Billet? Go right ahead.

8. Funny, I can't even remeber your car. It stands out SOOOO much, for a Ford.

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Baron! Love the look! Man that project really has come along! Wow!

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! Yours is looking great too. I've really been thrashing on it the last few weeks. Almost finished. :)

11. "Lucille" original 60's drag Bel Air sport coupe, B/GS, powered by a 327 stroked and bored to 358ci with a SN60 Paxton blower. Car raced in the Colorado area.
    "Locomotion" original 60's 210 sedan, D/A, raced until 1984 in Virginia, ran various small and big blocks, currently powered by a 454ci.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  12. custom

custom
    from Ohio

Perfect stance..........nice car!

13. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Thanks Custom! Hopefully I can get some more pics up soon. I have been running it around town with the windows in it for now. Three years of hard work and all I want to do is drive it instead of putting in the rear windows! I will wait now until the late fall to put the windows back in. Just because I am busy up north. Just got the door handles on it a couple days ago.
    J

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Deuces likes this.

14. that sure is a big improvement.

15. Butch M

Butch M

hey 55gasserkid your 55 is lookin great......

16. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I like those skinny five-spokes. Are those 5-inch TTOs??? What size are those front tires?

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Thanks Butch!
    Hey Cut55!
    Long time no talk. I talked to you on the phone about a year ago just before I made my final radius cuts on the 55! Thanks again for all your help again. They turned out great!

I ended up going with a 15 x 5 TTO rim. They are not vintage originals I found at a swap meet because it is really hard to find that stuff up here in Canada. These wheels can still be ordered right from American. The front tires are 205 75 15s. A pretty common size tire. When I was checking tire sizes I found that they would fit spec wise on a 5 inch rim, and they were 27 inches tall so I could get the look I was after. Hopefully that helps.

I am planning on starting a new thread and documenting my build on the HAMB in the fall. I have tons of pics from the start of my build to where it is now.
    Jay

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Your car looked just like my first 55 Chevy back in 1968. This is what it looked like by August ,1969.

[​IMG]

19. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Baron they could have been one in the same! lololol The car originally came from Chattanooga, Tennessee. I have found and contacted a lot of the original owners to get the history on the car. When I got it there was a lot of tell tale signs that this car saw a lot of drag racing at one point in its life and then was put back on the road. Thanks for the pic! I have to still mount my front licence plate. (I have been running it in the front window) I like where your plate is located in that old pic! Good idea for us Canadians that have to run front plates.
    Jay

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Baron,
    What ever happended to you 55 from 69? What did it have in it for a motor and tranny?

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jay. The front plate was bolted on with a couple of muffler clamps...lol.
    I had bought a 61 wagon that had a 301 4bbl, with a power-slide in it. I ran that for a while until I put a 3 spd in it ( with a Foxcraft shifter,one step below a Hurst Mystery Shifter.). Could not afford to buy 4 spd( could barely afford putting gas ins the car at 32 cents per gallon...).I was just starting my senior year (high school)so I sold it to buy a 65 Chevy Nova, which I put a straight axle under, with a 327and 4spd(there is another whole story that goes with this car....).
    The kid I sold the 55 Chevy to rolled it over a couple months after I sold it to him. This is the last picture I have of it before selling it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  22. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Kid, I had forgotten about that phopne call--the radius job looks great and I'm glad I could help. Those 15x5 TTOs look great with the 27-inch tall skinny front tires. I have a pair of new 15x5 TTOs that were modified to look like originals with the lip ground in between the polished part and the as-cast part of the wheels as well as the hub area machined down so that old caps will fit. I might have to put them on my '55 now that I see how good they look on your car. As for the front license plate, a lot of guys also mounted the plate on the passenger side of the grille using the stock front bumper bracket (that itself bolts onto the bumper) on the back of the grille with longer bolts/nuts. I'm having the original 1963 black CA plates for my '55 restored and I'll mount my front plate the way I described. If you look in the front of the latest Hot Rod Deluxe there is a great 2-page photo of the staging lanes at Lions in 1965 and there's a '55 with its plate mounted in the grille.

23. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Baron, how in the heck did you get the front so high with stock A-arms??? :D

24. 270283

25. shoebox barnes

shoebox barnes
    from Minnesota

I have seen people use old Volvo fenders to get the right radius for the rear wheel house.

26. I'm always told that I've got a sleeper, but I'm thinking more gasser-ish.

55gasserkid - The car is looking real good. Run whatever pulley, water pump and valve covers you want. We'd all be running Offy breathers, Spalding flame throwers or maybe a Man-A-Fre intake if we could afford it. I'm rocking no name chinese valve covers and air cleaners, specter pulleys, RPC dip stick and lots of craigslist parts too. Do whatever you gotta do to enjoy your car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. lookin'

lookin'
    BANNED
    from California

awesome. are you keeping it velvet or changing the color?

28. lookin'

lookin'
    BANNED
    from California

for 55gasserkid. still finding my way on this site

29. Hey Hazmatguy, that is one nice '55. I don't know if I would have the guts to cut one up that was that nice. Are you going to Radius it? I wouldn't.

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the tallest set of TRW springs I could find that were the right diameter, and a set of Ansen C-style ball joint spacers. I'd go through a set of tires in a matter of weeks. I'd just get more tires out of the junk tire pile at the Jenny Station where I pumped gas a couple nights a week and Sunday afternoon's. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013