Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Chevy door weatherstrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Hey Fellas, Elsewhere on the board, I started a thread about the whole "Bernice" '54 Chevy project. Wanted to focus in on just door weatherstrips.
    Did an extensive web search, prior to ordering the rubber kit for this 4dr. Most company's seem to offer the same bulk rubber/one size-fits-all deal. Problem I am running into, is the original GM w/s had a thin wire backing that clipped into a series of holes around the door frame. The kit I finally decided on and received is held in place solely by w/s adhesive. Went back and looked at all the manufacturers again and appears they are all the same design..
    Now keep in mind, this is the 2nd one of these I am doing for same customer. 1st one was serviced at my friend's body shop and rubber already seems to be coming unglued from door frame.:(

Is there an OEM style available?? If not, any tips on getting this kit to stick properly. I have done the obvious, such as Scotch Bright-ing door frame and wiping down with paint thinner.

2. Well, with a little patience and perseverance, having fairly decent results. Too bad it's so flippin' HOT. Belair 1954 001.JPG Belair 1954 002.JPG Belair 1954 003.JPG

3. In a PM, it was suggested to maybe look into the w/s for a '55 Chevy. These have the little plastic tits, but unsure of the spacing...and time frame of sending this back and waiting for new/unproven kit....Forget-about-it!!
    From the way this is headed, I believe we can put the lid on this topic.
    JT

4. 3m weatherstrip adhesive is the glue to use.
    -Pat

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Thanks for the pics it helps me out!!!

6. YEP, 3M black w/s adhesive. With the rubber looped in half, started at the top of the frame, spreading glue in circular motion on door frame. Laid rubber on frame(do not stretch!) and smooth out...wait a minute. Spread liberal amount of glue on rubber and work my way down back side...used masking tape to keep in place and smooth out with fingers. Underneath door are two holes close to one another. Used that as the mating spot. Front/hinge side a little more tricky and went back and forth with glue on rubber and door frame. Again, taking my time!! (50% decaf helps:confused:). Once underneath used a sharp pair of dike to snip the rubber to a hair longer than correct length, then squeeze it into place with a bit of glue on mating surfaces. Finally, left ALL 4 doors open for glue to dry, in the warm sun, for about an hour. Had to go to store, so carefully closed all the doors. Will adjust striker plates later.
    It actually rained while I was away from the house and upon returning did an inspection and floor was nice and dry. Hurray!!!:)
    This thread may not be about swapping in a Rocket Olds engine or chopping a top on a Deuce 5 window, but these details are super important to keep your insides cozy and dry. Interiors are WAY too expensive to ruin, from a carwash or a bad rainstorm, which in Floriduh, is a common occurrence this time of year.
    JT

7. Double edge sword time of the year, to replace weather-strips. Rains every afternoon, when I get home from work, but need to make this car water tight, so I can install the carpet.
    Trunk rubbers, were a bit tricky. Was all by myself and reluctant, to try and remove trunk lid by myself. In the end, not too bad and almost no other way to do the job correctly. Cleaning old stuff was a bitch, but with small wire brush, Scotchbrite pad and some mineral spirits, wasn't too God awful. Eraser wheel may have been better, but NAPA wanted $50 clams, for one..so screw that! Coated the body side channels, with some POR15, to stop any further rust. Was told, that as long as not exposed to UV rays will be fine.
    Used small clamps and an old stir stick on body section, to hold in place. Trunk lid section wound up using wide masking tape. Left it on overnight, with trunk re-installed and adjusted correctly. Worked like a charm. Dry as a bone today, after the rain storm.
    Mission Accomplished!
    JT
    Belair 1954 001.JPG Belair 1954 005.JPG Belair 1954 009.JPG Belair 1954 011.JPG

8. Somewaht bad news, but not a complete surprise...dropped off Belair, at White's Auto Glass, last week. Wanted to get both front and back glass seals replaced. When he finally got all the trim off, there was rust holes in the body. Not huge, so may be able to put a small amount of seem sealer, in till owner decides what he wants to do about body and paint. I am just anxious to finish my part and get paid the balance.
    JT