Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 Chrysler Clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wickedwagons, May 27, 2015.

1. Wickedwagons

Wickedwagons

We have a 53 Chrysler New Yorker that is making one hell of a noise. I believe it's the clutch. Has anyone replaced the clutch in a fluid drive trans?

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Replacing the clutch is pretty straight forward going into the fluid coupling in is more involved with out special tools.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is pretty much like replacing any manual trans clutch. The clutch itself is rather small and not meant to be used much. If someone tries to ride the clutch, slip the clutch, rev up, and shift like a manual trans they can wear it out prematurely.

The clutch is mounted on the back of the Fluid Drive unit. Take off the trans and bellhousing and replace the clutch in the usual way. You don't disturb the Fluid Drive. The bellhousing is extra deep to accommodate the Fluid Drive, that is about the only difference to a manual trans clutch and of course, you must disconnect the wiring to the trans controls and connect them back up when you are done. Also the handbrake cable.

4. Wickedwagons

Wickedwagons

Thanks for the help. But how do I tell what kind of transmission I have? I would assume I have a fluid drive but the book is telling me I should have a fluid -torque dr. Mine dies not have the reservoir.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

There should be a screen on the right side that can be removed for filling the fluid drive unit.

6. Wickedwagons

Wickedwagons

I know there is a screen on the right side but looked to be not removable. There is a a panel on my floor board and a panel on my 331 hemi block that I can remove and there is the torque is. Also this transmission has two large solenoids on the right side.

7. czuch az

czuch az

As I recall its just a clutch job. As usual you have to disconnect and reconnect stuff.
    I had mine in a '46 weapons carrier. Looked like a suburban.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Do you have a clutch pedal? Then you have Fluid Drive or its brother, Fluid Torque Drive. The only difference is, one has a torque converter instead of Fluid Drive.

This does not affect the transmission or clutch, they are separate units. The main difference is the oil supply, self contained for the Fluid Drive but separate for the Fluid Torque Drive. It either gets oil from the engine oil supply or has its own oil pan like an automatic.

Look under the car, you should see a regular looking manual transmission and in front of it, a real long bellhousing.

The trans will have shift levers on the left side, wiring for the automatic shifter on the right side, and a brake drum for the hand brake on the back.

The bellhousing is double length to contain the Fluid Drive unit + clutch.

To reiterate you DO NOT disturb the Fluid Drive (or torque converter) when changing the clutch. Just take off the trans and bellhousing and change the clutch in the usual way.

If you have no clutch pedal, and you get under the car and see what looks like an automatic trans, you have one of the first Powerflites. You should not have one before 54 but a few were installed late in the year on Imperials and possibly a few New Yorkers.

whtbaron likes this.
  9. Wickedwagons

Wickedwagons

Thanks for all the help.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have Fluid Torque Drive it will say so on the shift quadrant.

Wickedwagons likes this.