Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Chevy 4 door low budget build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by paintspill, Aug 15, 2015.

1. lawman

lawman

The 53 Chevy 4 door was my first car. Had 55 Buick hub caps, 59 Cadillac tail lights and "Dummy spot lights. Get some white walls on your car and "Slam the front !!! That was "in" back in my day and I'm 71 years old..

MyCrustyVW and flux capacitor like this.
  2. paintspill

paintspill

The lowering and the white walls are in the future for sure. Once the funds are available.

Mitchell de Moor and lawman like this.
  3. 'Mo

'Mo

Mitchell de Moor and lawman like this.
  4. paintspill

paintspill

Thanks. I have the blocks already. Just want to get more bodywork done first.

5. Good job to fix the rust and have some learning experience for your kids. Simple lowering blocks in back and cut springs in front will fix the ride height to be more mild custom. Have fun with it, seems your kids are catching the old car bug!

lawman likes this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

A set of skirts either with or without this stainless wouldnt be bad either, once you get a little further along.
    [​IMG]

50 customcoupe and lawman like this.
  7. paintspill

paintspill

This is a little out of order but this is the repair I did on the light bezel. Was told it couldn't be welded and thanks to someone in a Facebook group that guided me through the process it turned out pretty good.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440515704.015511.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440515819.265456.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440515883.955414.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440516015.861063.jpg

8. czuch az

czuch az

Yup, Ya cant weld that stuff. Looks like a good job though.
    Its great to see the kids sanding and wanting to be involved.
    You KNOW those are the keys they'll want when they get their licence,,,,doncha.

Merge likes this.
  9. paintspill

paintspill

Yeah my eldest has already put dibs on high school graduation.

kiwijeff and czuch az like this.
  10. Great job getting the kids involved. We have a 4 door 53 bel air and my son loves that old car!
    I'm looking forward to seeing more.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I really enjoyed reading this. Keep up the good work!

12. So cool to get you're kids involved! Good luck on the rest of the build:cool:

13. They say life begins at 40.
    Looks like your old car life is starting very well.

14. Very Cool having your Kids involved keep up the good work and always remember to have FUN!! Jim

15. 'Mo

'Mo

It's great to see the use of safety protection. Eyes (and lungs) are great things to save for later.

16. Any more info on how you did the light bezel! Great job so far!

Fender1325 likes this.
  17. U-235

U-235

. "Have to say I'm starting to get the hang of this. But am still super jealous of the work you guys do."

Looks like to me you don't have to be jealous of any body....nice work.. Please save money to chrome those bumpers.

18. paintspill

paintspill

(please note i'm no pro) the light bezels were done with aluminum brazing rods. there are ones advertized online but were quite pricey. these (the ones in the picture) were from a local hardware store. standard propane torch. i use the yellow cans. don't think it makes a difference though. make sure to to keep the metal clean with a wire brush or wire wheel on a grinder.once any parts are blackend the rod wont stick so its a lot of 'weld' clean 'weld' clean. the metal has a low melting point so its a delicate dance of heat, braze, clean, repeat. you can go on you tube and search "pot metal" (i had no idea thats what its called) i really hope this helps. someone was kind enough to walk me through it and i really want to pay it forward.

19. paintspill

paintspill

im north of the border. we have a chain up here called princess auto. i got it from there. it was the cheapest i could find. it seems to be doing the job. havent had the chance to try it on thicker metal yet but looking forward to playing around. especially if i start welding on the frame.

20. Fender1325

Fender1325

If it doesn't run on atleast 220 then I wouldnt even gamble with any frame welding. (Not sure what power you have north of the border). I have a hobart handler 140 that runs off a standard 120 outlet and Id say its pushing it to get thorough penetration on 1/8" steel.

Very cool about that pot metal headlight ring fix, I have a few areas like that on my 50 cad that need some loving and I'll definitely give it a shot!

21. Squablow

Squablow

I'm impressed with the pot metal welding. You're doing this car right, small projects, one bit at a time is the best way to do low budget, too many cars get torn down to nothing as the first step and never go any further.

I'd be real tempted to put paint stripper on those bumpers and see if there's any plating left underneath. Even crap chrome would be better than none at all. I'd try the grille bar too. And the moulded grille surround is a good idea.

22. Cool man thanks for all the good info! I'm always curious of different ways to do things!

23. kustomitch

kustomitch
    from Monson MA

nice start. keep at it

24. richard price

richard price

Lookin' good!, comin' along nicely; gotta gt some skirts on that old girl:)

25. paintspill

paintspill

This isn't an exciting update but I shot some primer on the back end. Bodywork is about 90% done (for a "rat rod" look ) nowhere near a show car but I'm having a blast. Engine is running good. Still haven't taken it for a drive. Waiting for a night that my dad can follow me with my truck and some tow ropes. Just wanted to share cause this group is just so awesome. More updates soon I hope. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442540070.408576.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442540091.543996.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442540108.187556.jpg

26. Psssst don't use the R word. :)

BradinNC, Peanut 1959, LONG and 4 others like this.
  27. 39 Deluxe

39 Deluxe

Nice work. I am sure envious of your sheet metal welding and patching skills. I can weld heavy metal but have not tried old rusty car body welding yet. With all the rust holes in my 52 Merc I really need to learn how.

28. 'Mo

'Mo

Might be time to double your pleasure!
    BLUEMEANIE did this one.

[​IMG]

54fierro, lawman and flux capacitor like this.
  29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

So your gonna leave those headlight covers after fixing that bezel?
    ....and I couldnt hold myself back from simply getting most of that rust off the grille with a SOS pad.

Sorry, seeing simple little fixes that could be done, eats at me:(..........:D

Squablow likes this.