Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1953 Battle Cry "DEATH TO ALL JALOPIES !!!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Feb 6, 2010.

1. I already sometimes wonder if people are crazy junking a 70s-80s vehicle. But around here they're just about non-existant due to road salt.

2. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

I'm betting thirty years from now internal combustion will be illegal.

furyus

3. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HARMSWAY...those dirty BASTARDS! and we'r still fighting them. that's how our movement. DON'T CRUSH-REBUILD THEM got started. no not 1953. about 30 or 40 yrs. ago. and believe me we have GOOD people fighting those BLEEP in congress today...POP.

4. For sure!

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

And you guys though political fear mongering was a new concept!!!! During and after the Korean conflict cars were univerasally of poor quality and construction and there was a nation wide sales slump. So the associations drummed up these parades, demonstrations to play on fears and sympathies to get their way.

Why is it that nearly every culture and civilization seem to have a dragon myth. Something for the rulers leaders and government to protect you from too justify high taxes, witch hunts and inquisitions. As in if you don't have anything to fear, why do you need us to protect you???? Unleash the Drakon indeed.

Chicago Motor dealers association and Detroit Dealsers association, could they be lobbying groups??? Dredging up the dragon in what ever guise is necessary to get their interest protected.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Let's bump this one one more time,...... Just to make all our NEW HAMB pals a little sick,... Enjoy ! :D (Yes, I know it's a very old thread)

7. deto

deto

Seeing this terrifies me man. No joke.

8. i like the 2 guys on a roof rack on the car following thats not dangerous at all not like these damn hot rods

[​IMG]

9. That's true.... They had a scrappage scheme over here where you got £1500 to put to a new car for scrapping anything with wheels... Price of a new car went up by £1500 on average and didn't go down when the scrappage scheme ended.

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

Looks like we're all in trouble with a bunch of guys in white shirts, bad ties & woolen trousers.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't doubt that in the least. Some of those cars were only about 12 or 13 years old at the time but even some of the more complete cars were probably only worth 25 to 75 bucks at the time the photos were taken. The dealers association in those cities probably use their own tow trucks and hired local wreckers to post for the photos and the trip to the scrap yard.

The burning of the "jalopies" in the pile was to burn the interiors out of them because the scrap metal outfits wouldn't take them with the interiors in them then and to be able to go in and pull the copper wiring out an save it to sell separately. The charactors who ran the dump up past my house when I was a kid burned bodies out almost daily in the 60's to get the copper wire out of them.

12. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

Amazing how a thread over 2 years old has brought back some bad memories. I recently quit working at a wrecking yard because the owner wanted any cars built prior to 2003 crushed. There was a '53 Chev 3100, '64 International tow truck, '66 Plymouth Fury, '64 GMC, '73 Impala, and a couple of late '60s Dodges. that are now setting awaiting their fate.

13. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

We just did the same program cash for clunkers

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

What a bunch of bu$&@hit. Those cars look in fine condition as long as maintenance was done on them. Think of how many mechanics with families that took food off their tables. That's how they would make a living, fixing those cars.

15. draggler

draggler

F---kin sales gimmicks.
    Greed knows no time or importance, its always hungry thru all times!

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

17. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Fixed your typo:D

18. oddcraig

oddcraig

The evil that men do!!!

My head hurts just thinking about this!

19. That's just messed up, sick, twisted and f'd up, I love my ole jalopy, it's coming back part FORD and part me, design and labor

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That was 60 years ago. Don't try using today's logic when matched with the logic from 1953. It doesn't match and never will.
    I always here people say..."You only paid $38,000 for your first house..golly-gee-whiz"
    Ya, bonehead, but I was making $192 a week after taxes, so that was alot of dough for the mortgage and property taxes..
    It's all relative to the logic of the moment.
    My dad bought a Model T coupe for $7 and when Pearl Harbor hit, for laughs, he and his buddies ran it down a cliff in a rock quarry in Irwindale. He knew he had to report to the Army office and go to war.
    Dad would take me to Western Speedway in about 1960 in Gardena almost every sunday to watch them crash 1932 Deuces and Model A coupes and sedans along with "33 & '34's. At the end of the afternoon they'd pile them onto a long flatbed trailer and haul them to the dump.
    Oh, man, we'd laugh until our sides would hurt.

Different times, guys.
    You can't look at the scenarios through today's eyes and logic. It won't work.
    We've all thrown out cool stuff. The problem is, it wasn't considered "cool" at the moment you checked it in the trash.
    You've probably thrown out something in the past month that 40 years from now will make you cringe.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  21. 343w

343w

What's the big deal? The Feds just did it again with the "Cash for clunker program!" Who do you think lobbied for that scam? The dealers will sell their souls for the God almighty dollar......

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Really don't want to see this thread turn political and get locked down,.... Just a look over our shoulder of some of the stupid gimmicks that were pulled to manipulate public opinion and stir up there fears in order to sell new cars....

23. Selective Memories

Selective Memories

This appears to have been a national sales campaign by Chevrolet, sort of masked as a safety campaign.
    The year however is more likely 1948, as that was the release of the film "The Babe Ruth Story" on the State-Lake Theatre marquee in Chicago.
    Some of the photos are on Woodward Ave. near Detroit.
    Which ironically still hosts the huge vintage Woodward Dream Cruise car show every year.

24. BillWallace

BillWallace

I remember that after WW2 a car built before the war was considered old. In those days 100,00 thousand miles on a car was usually past its life span & yes they called almost all prewar cars jalopies. By the mid 50s even cars built in the years after the war were worn out. This is really what made hot rodding happen. You could go to the junk yard & buy a late engine & an old car & put them together & instant hot-rod. My first race car in 1956 was a 35$ 29whippet with a50$ 49olds engine that ran as a comp coupe & sedan. I was 16 years old. we won top eliminator several times with this car. Times have changed...

25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I don't get it. These were a few old junk cars then, well past their best. America junked 10s of 1000s a day. We still do today. And badly maintained cars back then really were death traps. The brakes didn't work, shackle hangers broke or rusted out., steering seized. It's the way the American public wants it. Always was like that, still is today.
    Ed

26. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Looks like an old fashion Lynchin! Just with cars!

27. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Look at that kid with that big shit eating grin raising hell on the street! lololol Look at the rear tires! He must have been launching that thing so hard all over town!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  28. This shows you how stupid people were back then to believe that sort of planned obsolescence bull shit.

Sam

29. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

So true!

30. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

All i can say is (man i am so much safer now!
    WOW