Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1952 Oldsmobile 98 2 Door car is being crushed and I need to know what parts to remove first

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by challengersteve, Jul 29, 2015.

1. challengersteve

challengersteve

Hello Everyone, I have not posted here for a while as I am mostly into the musclecar area cars but I have a chance to pull anything I want from a 1952 Oldsmobile 98 2 door that is headed to the crusher in 2 days. This car is 100% complete but has been sitting since the late 60's outside and is very rough. All the stainless body trim looks great so I assume I should remove those pieces. Is there anything else that is worth removing as I hate to let these good parts go away forever. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Steve

2. Squablow

Squablow

Take all of the stainless side trim and the die-cast "moustache" bar above the grille if it's not broken, those are hard to come by even as a good core for rechroming. The steering wheel if it's intact, the valve covers and the intake if it's a 4 barrel (did they have that in '52 yet? Buick did, I know). Tail lights, and any other easily removable exterior trim. A picture of the car would really help. Gauge cluster, unless you can get the whole dash out.

Don't bother with rotted sheetmetal, frozen up engine parts or foggy glass, get stuff you'll be able to sell fairly easily. Split bench seats from the 50's are getting hard to find too, although an Olds 98 seat would be pretty big to fit into much else.

3. verde742

verde742

Rear end complete with bars that bolt to rear end & coils set on.. Really neat for fat fendered cars, pumpkins in the middle, good wheel bolt pattern, 5x5. I really like that suspension setup with smaller diameter coils.

but hard to find now days.

4. If it has a inst. cluster like this one I would be interested in looking at it for parts
    101_3643.jpg

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

take EVERYTHING that you can get off. if it's no good, you can throw it away later.

6. challengersteve

challengersteve

Thank you to everyone who replied. I was able to get the side trim, valve covers, 4 barrel carb and intake, rocker arms and shafts, distributor and when I got the trunk open the ORIGINAL (looks to have never been on the ground) spare tire and bumper jack. About 5 minutes after I got the parts from the trunk it got picked up with a claw and crushed. I actually was able to strip parts from about 50 late 40's to early 60's cars that were being crushed in the last 2 days. A scrapper bought close to 100 old cars and was nice enough to let me pull whatever I wanted before they got crushed. It was really sad seeing basically complete cars (but pretty rusted from sitting outside for 40- 60 years) being picked up with the claw and destroyed. I did save everything I could though and will be getting parts cleaned up and listed in our ebay store and here.
    Thanks, Steve Schweitzer
    Steve's Musclecars & Parts
    www.stevesparts.com

Squablow likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Glad you were able to save what you saved and it's nice the scrapper let you pull parts, even if you had only limited time to do it. The stuff you did get sounds like good stuff, should have no problem selling those peices.

8. sabrinac528

sabrinac528

Do you have any parts from the Oldsmobile that you crushed a couple years ago