Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

1952 Hudson Commodore 8 coupe

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by steve clarke, Oct 25, 2016.

1. steve clarke

steve clarke

City: Poquoson

State: Virginia
    Price: SOLD
    Some updates in the last week:
    All the interior trim has been removed and painted the proper base color (except the dash - I have a spare which is going through the same process), and the first layer of wood grain has been applied. First time doing this and some pieces look better than others, i.e. some pieces took the ink a lot better than others. The dash is coming along nicely. Some of the window mouldings just didn't print as dark of a pattern. Next step is to add toner and blend it. But that has to wait a day. I've located a pair of NOS wiper transmissions to go with the car for replacement of the existing ones. I've also gotten a replated pair of rear bumper guards. These are the worst pieces of chrome on the car. I will update with new pictures of the trim pieces when I get through the next step.

I've had this car since 2007 having bought it from a gentleman nearby who had owned it since the 70s. He had bought it out of Maryland.
    If you label this one by distance, then it's a good 5 footer (some elements even hold better). I love this cars shape and think it looks good from all angles. I've never driven it hard, the highest I've run the speedometer is 65 (probably about 70 gauging the flow of others). Typically, I run 50-55 on the dial. And I really haven't put a lot of miles on it since I've had it either. Odometer reads 99927 now, it was 98942 in 2007. Shortly after getting it, I had a valve get stuck which prompted the replacement of all the valves. It does leak a little (front seal, I think, master cylinder, etc). In September, I went about 100 miles roundtrip and there was some oil drips on the sway bar. I wiped it clean and briefly looked for the source, but nothing returned. It has the new ADDCO sway bar(remanufactured sway bar, bigger than original) and I replaced the rear motor mounts at the same time. Let's talk about gas. I've filled it up twice this year with hi octane. Both times within 5 minutes, she's started to run a little rough, with hesitation in the acceleration. I do add some Lucas fuel additive with it each time. I had a suggestion about the accelerator pump in the carb and replaced it this month. I took it on a five mile loop and it ran good. No hesitations. I won't step out on a limb and confirm that it's fixed though until it goes by the gas station again.
    She runs on bias ply tires which have plenty of tread life left. I haven't driven it enough to feel the need to replace them as they look and ride good to me. She takes a little bit to start if it's sat for more than a few days (and this has gotten a bit better since replacing the accelerator pump as well). By that I mean the gas dries up and it takes some revolutions to get the gas back. She runs and sounds good. No odd noises from the engine and it actually sounds more 'throaty' than the 52 Hornet next door.
    It's got a new interior. Fabric came from SMS (and some spare just in case for a future emergency). New headliner, new windlace, new carpet. I'm currently working on the garnish mouldings. Originally these all had a blue base and a woodgrain pattern. The dash and trim on the side panels were repainted a Broadway blue type color while the window mouldings were painted a seal gray. All of it should have a wood grain pattern. I've bought the wood grain kit from Grain-It as well as paint for the base color. I'm currently working on putting the correct base color down, but would be happy to loan out the kit if you'd like to finish. I have a spare dash already in primer to assist the process.
    The paint is broadway blue over southern blue as it was originally. It has the 254 straight 8 (the original type engine to the car; I have the original engine as well to go with the car, but it's not the one in it) with a single range hydromatic. Most of the chrome has been replated several years back and well taken care of. There are a couple of pieces that aren't that great including the wiper transmissions followed by some bumper pieces. This is the last year of the 8 cylinder engine for Hudson.
    Take a look through the pictures and take time to see if I have any commentary. They will tell tales like that of the button on the drivers seat that is still attached, but loose.

The pictures are here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/86841042@N07/albums/72157673412590582

My price is negotiable. Partially based on how far I get on the woodgraining. call or text, leave a voice mail. 757-593-four five nine eight.
    driver-side-front_29774755540_o.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Are You Okay ? and timmy2times like this.
  2. steve clarke

steve clarke

Some updates posted above. Progress on the woodgraining and acquisition of some chrome.

3. steve clarke

steve clarke

Updated photo album. The woodgraining is mostly finished and pieces re-installed. Dash comes with the car, I have not installed it. I also need to do the speaker cover on the front panel as well. Missed that when doing the other pieces. As noted, now you'll want to replace the dash cover when installing the dash. It looked pretty good before. Now with the other pieces done, it looks out of place!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86841042@N07/albums/72157673412590582

I'm going to try and put the car on ebay tonight.

4. steve clarke

steve clarke

Car is sold and will soon be residing in Sweden.