Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Buick "Pearl" a factory custom. My first chop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

Very cool! Wished I had the nerve to do that, but I don't.

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  2. Haha thanks for all the input guys! I never said I was a damn carpenter!! I build pools jeeps and hotrods not houses!!! Haha as for the windshield im on the hunt for another stock one to cut down my original one was shot.

I wanted the roof to match the same angle as the molding down the side so I just lowered it until I thought it look just right (of course I measured)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426812782.141922.jpg

I cut these rear corners out so I could easily pie cut them back in on the rear corners.

I'm leaving for Vegas tonight so won't be able to work on her until I get back. The plan when I get back is to square the top up nice and plumb and I plan to sleeve all of the pillars and plug weld them for added strength (I'll post pics when I do it) then after I get the a and c pillars tacked in good I'll start working out my b pillars.

For everyone who asked she was a bone stock beauty original 263 straight 8 with a 3spd synchro, the only thing I've done to it is straight pipe it and a 12 volt conversion. The Trans has started to leak bad and the clutch is starting to slip so I think I'm going to do an open axle swap (have a 12bolt) and th350 w/adapter after the chop is done.

As for suspension it's static dropped with coils from an 70's cadillac with one coil cut out. I built custom shock towers in the front and runs some real small shocks off of a 70's vette. (I'll post a pic of those when I get a chance)

The car was original forest green when I got it after I frenched, shaved, nosed, and decked it I painted it rustoleum hunter green with thee old blow dryer and rattle can trick. The top and under the molding are sprayed a flat enamel white then I laid down 2 coats of clear with a ton of pearl in it.

My other plans are to do something with the rear quarters possibly later model Buick but im unsure at the moment. For paint im thinking I'm gonna keep the white where it is but Respray it with a nice pearl white with green and purple amethyst pearl and some flake on the roof. Body color in thinking is going to be a light mint green.

Sorry for the long post but there is some history on thee ole girl and should answer most of the question everyone asked! Thanks for all the input! P.s. Her name is pearl!

-Nick

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. Also here is a pic of the front shock towers I built. I kept them outside the inner fender so when u open the hood you can't see them. Yes yes I know I need to do some cleaning maintainence and paint give a man a break! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426814449.069529.jpg

I have been toying with the idea of adding this hood ornament from a 53 desoto into the roof over the rear window but I'm not sure yet. Just an idea what do you guys think? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426814535.178771.jpg

kiwijeff, spinner and Imperial66 like this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I'd like to see the hood scoop mocked up in place. I have a '62 T-bird scoop cut out of a hood and had the same thought to go on my '53 Ford, to give it a '58 Impala type look. Just not sure if it'd look right in real life.

Neat car, looking forward to seeing more.

5. Haha love ur car man! Looks like u went through h*ll and back a few times workin on that baby!! Haha

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Early Buicks are special to me. My earliest auto memory is driving out of the Buick dealership with my Dad in a new 1953, I was 2 1/2 years old at the time, all I have left is the bill of sale and some photos. This car will look great I'm sure. Bob

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think you should repair that lower A-frame before it breaks the rest of the way

8. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

To me, a scoop might work if it's done with more subtlety; using just the bottom of the trim piece - say like this:
    [​IMG]
    The stock DeSoto scoop looks good, but wouldn't that big piece of chrome draw a lot of attention to itself right where you don't want to distract from the graceful lines you've given to the roof? Just a thought.

9. What do u mean? Nothing is broken?

10. Thanks for the input I think u may be onto something. I'll cut it out and set it up there and go from there but I think it may draw to much attention like ya said.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

It sounds like a good plan, Rocksetter89. It will look great when you're done.
    Glad to hear you're keeping the straight 8!

As far as the scoop is concerned, I don't feel the curved face is well suited to job. JMO. Good thought, though.
    Before you go cutting, why not take some pictures at the proper angle, and see if one of the good people on the Photoshop thread will fix you up?

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I agree about the PhotoShop comment. It'd be a shame to cut up the hood (or even just the scoop trim) and then decide you don't like it.

Take some of pictures of the roof from behind and from the side (being careful to mark the ground where you stood for each shot) then rest the DeSoto hood on the roof (facing backwards, of course) and repeat the photos. This should help to get the scoop at the proper scale when they do their magic.

If you can do all of this outside, with good natural lighting, all the better!

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I think manyolcars sees what I saw the line from the top shoc looks as if it carries down thru the lower part as if it is cracked. He just saw it first. Good job on the chop. And the floor looks to have 6 ft over hang and really all it needs is a facsia of 2x12 .

14. No cracks just spiderwebs and dirt! Haha i will get some better pictures of the rear of the car and the hood and see if I can have someone do some
    Photochoppin for me! Thanks dudes! Appreciate all the input.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  15. Well got in some more work tonight. (Thankfully I didn't need much recovery time from my weekend extravaganza in Vegas) wish I could make it for viva but I can't. Not a whole lot but it's progress! I wanted to add some inner structure support so I made some small tabs out of 18 gauge then driled top and bottom of where i cut on each pillar then I will spot weld and sand.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250669.624179.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250691.501111.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250707.826076.jpg
    I also did the door frames.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250725.684447.jpg

I then put the roof back on and lined up the windshield had to make some relief cuts up top to cheat about a 1/32" each side ( I did this up top instead of the bottom to make it easier on my door gaps since they were already pretty cherry at the bottom)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250838.776323.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250854.750521.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250868.189813.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427250886.301610.jpg

Tomorrow i plan to get my a pillars tacked better and then make the relief cuts to get the c pillars in line then proceed to the b pillars. I took a picture of where I'm thinking to cut to move the inner structure of the c pillar over (it needs to be pushed out since I moved the roof forward instead of stretch the roof) what do you guys think of the cut plan? Should I cut further up on the roof? Multiple cuts? Or start off with what I have marked and go from there?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427251041.010399.jpg

Man she sure is taking shape and I'm SO glad I didn't cut any more out of the pillars I think the roof sits perfect!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427251104.576117.jpg

Thanks for the help and insight -Nick

117harv, badgascoupe and jocktherock like this.
  16. Also I think I may start looking for a 54 buick grille and 56 rear quarters, lights and bumper.

17. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Was looking at that myself, The car looks good!

18. I'd say you 'nailed' the profile-looking great already

19. Thank you!

20. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

That looks great! Nice restraint on not chopping it too much. I wouldn't add the scoop, clean and simple trumps excessive modifications IMHO. Keep,up the good work!

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a big improvement but doesn't give it that 3 fat gals sat on it look that too many have these days.

22. brady1929

brady1929

I like it too. Ditch the hood scoop because like others have said, it messes up the lines of the car. JMO.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like the light chop. Keep'em guessing what you did.

24. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Chop is looking good.

As far as the hood scoop goes "to each his own".
    Personally i would find another to match and use them in the rear quarters.
    With full cruiser skirts.
    Or F cuts in the hood sides.

25. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

26. I really like a subtle chop, it keeps people wondering

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like you have modified the windshield opening, not just the height. might want to try cutting the old glass now as a test and see if it is going to fit before doing finish welding. metal can be modified, glass not so much.

28. My original windshield was completely toast I've taken many measurements and the top of the opening has only change a tiny bit enought for me to make up with my molding and rubbers. Good lookin out tho!

29. I got some good work in last night I've got the a and b pillars on the passenger near completion I sleeved and plug welded all portions for strength like I shower in my pictures before. I also got the rear Chevy window plumb and tacked in place. It's gonna take a little more work then I thought to get the belt line moldings to match, but nothing worth doing is easy right?

Next up im going to build the bracing for the inner structure of the c pillar then once this side is complete I will move to the driver side then start again on the rear window and English wheel some panels.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428851496.040608.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428851540.046759.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428851667.626826.jpg

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! Thanks for the update. Bob