Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Mercury car frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tallymercury, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rangeman

rangeman
    from medford,or

I measured my old Merc front end today and it is about 59 1/2 inches from the hub to hub (i.e. the surface where you would bolt on the wheel )

Hope this helps

2. Dustmite Dragster

Dustmite Dragster

Jim Weimer Sells A Whole Mustang II Stub For The Merc. Now. Ive Sold 2 of them. They are simple, effective and easy to install. I work at Minnesota Hot Rod Hardware if your Interested

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks!

4. tallymercury

tallymercury

I have the specs for the 49-51 mercury if anyone is interested. My uncle owns a body shop and has a lot of frame specs from aboout 76-84, 91-00 my thought was to find a frame that had the same or close enough wheelbase wide enough and close on the tread width. the reason was to find one in the junkyard in tallahassee, Fl.. cheap and close. The 94 towncar was the closes wheelbase at 117 13/16 width forgot but have the specs at the shop. I'll probably just modify the frame I have Though the leaf springs are rusted out and I need to put the merc on a lift to see the rest of the frame. Thanks

5. ...And if you look, you can find stock frames too. I'll tell you that with my car, some of the stuff we fixed came from the frame swap. Some stuff was not supported properly.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

this is the stock frame with Fatman bolt ons and bags all under this merc.

Attached Files:

7. tallymercury

tallymercury

perfect did you notch out the rear for the axle?

8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Mine is on a 79 malibu

9. joel torres

joel torres

hey tally your getting some really great info here. and glad to hear the one sided views hasn't deterred you , i speak with experince i did about a year of research on my own before i started. anythng can be done right the first time if you plan ahead we have a group for people who swap frames so there are allot of guys who can help ya probably http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=427
    i used a 86 chevy monte carlo for $600 and streched it i was going to use my 85 caprice but its to mint to cut up good luck with your project

10. Theres alot of way to make the stock merc frame drive as nice of better than most late model frame swap that will be way easier to do. It all dependes on your budget and skill level that works best for you. I do not recomend you put any money into trying to rebuild the stock link king pin front suspension as it will never drive very nice no matter how much money you through at it. If you are skilled I would recomend a camaro / nova clip, rear or front steer works very well. Front steer is a little harder to do as the steering box gets in the way of the core suport but they handle very well if installed correctly. I am not a fan of the mustang II under a big merc but some people like them. If you are aginst doing a clip and can aford it there are some a-arm kits avail that use newer ball joint with improved suspension geometry. The rear suspension is good as is just replace any woren parts. like new springs and bushings. If you plan to lower it try not to use any lowering blocks just have the spring made to your desired ride height. Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.