Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 dodge short bus wayne conv

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Feb 14, 2012.

1. So I am buying this shorty bus,it looks to be 57-60 dodge with a v8 poly engine,its very complete except the windshield (kids) and some missing windows,,,I am getting it cheap.
    The downside is that its got no title but its been sitting of this guys yard for more than 10 years.
    Are there any short bus experts on the hamb???
    I could not locate a vin,
    the guy says it needed a fuel pump and thats why he couldnt move it.
    the body is not rusty but its got Mississippi plates.
    Iwill try to take a pic of it soon.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Save the plates, they can help you find the owner.

3. Well I took some pics.
    anybody can help ID the year?

Attached Files:

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's a '58 to '60 ish model, not '48/'52, so the V8 is likely original.

Ray

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

8. sololobo

sololobo

Cool old bus! ~sololobo~

9. norville

norville

The parts stores sell a product called ozium (sp?) It's an ozone based spray , kinda expensive for a tiny bottle but works great. Unless you know someone with a shop style ozone generator...

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i was told that lemon juice mixed with water will get rid of smoke stains & smell,pot??

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

with luck on your side that windshield might have also been used in another commercial vehicle. An auto glass guy might be able to help you from the numbers on them.

12. Dodge made that body through '66 on the Suburbans and the 58-60 cabs were used on their big trucks (think semi tractor) even longer. Glass looks bus only, though.

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I had a modern/older (84) short bus based on the chevy van for awhile and here in California it was handled as a car/suburban with no wieght fees, and the vin was the serial number stamed by Wayne, not the chassis number.
    Hope this helps

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I bet the same windshield was used on all Wayne bus bodies for years, regardless of size of bus or chassis make.

Try your local auto glass company first. If they can't get one, you may have to try the Wayne company. Or search for another one in a junkyard. They often have old busses full of parts that they keep for years.

15. it's RARE....as in MOPAR rare....

16. That's a good point, the glass is probably Wayne, a lot of those busses from the cowl back the body was by the coachbuilder.

17. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

18. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

man give them kids my #, thats gotta be some killer weed to still smell with broken glass and the wind going thru it! just kidding. ive always wanted a fixed up small bus to go to car shows in. but when i would find one it was always more than i could invest in it. ( needed to keep money for cars) lol good luck on it.

20. Gromit

Gromit

At Home Depot here they sell an orange cleaner called Zep.. gallon jug is pretty cheap and it is an amazing cleaner. the local detail guy has used in cars and it takes a lot of .. aroma out. spritz it down and pressure wash tha mutha... good luck, it looks cool... once you paint over the graphics... cough....

21. Chris Blatti here on the HAMB is having a "fire sale" on glass.He can probably fix you up.

22. How could you think that 4 headlights would be late 40's.

23. tjmercury

tjmercury

That's a really cool bus! Just think of the possibilities

24. 73RR

73RR

Remember that the 'A' series engines like your 318 had some major design changes for the 1962 model year so until you have a handle on what is what be sure to identify the parts you need by the model year.

Yes, a later 5-speed would be a great up grade and you may not then need to change the rear axle. Do not, do not, do not swap the bell housing to anything 1962 and newer, make the trans fit the bell that you have.

I do believe that a 400-440 will be make the rig more pleasant to drive. Some 70's pickups still can be found with 400-440 and manual trans...

I really doubt that a front clip will be a good idea for the curb weight you have...prove me wrong with a trip to the scales. Please.

25. evs1

evs1

Wayne should have some info in their archives including a source for glass. Might try them.

26. evs1

evs1

27. the sure fire way to get rid of the smell inside is to completely paint it....guaranteed to lose the funky smell.

28. George

George

At least on modern buses the frame maker supplys the windshields & frames.

Good chance it's a 4 speed, but with 1st & 2nd so close that 1st wasn't used. Probably monster steep gears.

Even modern buses are solid axle & drum brakes, motorhome axle might just work.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Engine is a 318 2barrel which was 230 HP in cars, may be slightly less in a truck version. Probably has a 4 speed trans, is the shift lever on the floor? They made a Loadflite automatic with the shift lever on the dash too.

If the shift lever has a second knob you pull up it has a 2 speed rear axle, which was common on buses at that time. Putter around town picking up the kids then shift to overdrive on the hiway.

Later model 1 ton and larger trucks have beam axles and disc brakes, so do some buses. If you can find one in a junk yard swap out the whole axle.

Old school buses sell pretty cheap. If you found a late model you might be able to swap your body onto the newer chassis. The local school bus service is the place to ask. During the summer is when they usually get rid of old buses and replace them in the fall.

30. 73RR

73RR

If the smallish 20ft MH is a 1-ton cab/chassis pkg it will be closer to the physical size of the bus and a better donor for suspension and rear axle if you can make the swap.
    Does the bus have the very-large 5 bolt wheels? They were also used on some other brands in the 40's and 50's so you should be able to find some if you keep the oem pieces. You might check here for wheels.

As to a disc brake swap, ask olddaddy if he has any info.