Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1949 - 1951 Mercury Parts/ Reproduction Parts List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Feb 4, 2009.

1. I have a set of front bumper irons, need to be tack welded again, and a hood cable setup if anyone is in need.

2. Only posting here for the Merc Guy's.... I have a bunch of stuff left over from my 50 build. New to good used. Shoot me a pm with any needs, and i'll let you know if I can help you out.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I cut up a '51 four door sedan and have some pieces left over if anyone needs, no stainless, no front bumper pan, no rear bumper but some rough rear quarters, some doors, a rough front clip (sheetmetal) ect. I'm currently looking for a '49 glove box door if anyone has one, doesn't need the stainless at the top although I'll take it if you got it.

4. jkluge

jkluge

5. Nice radiator. I may have to look at setup. What did you have to do to make the brackets work? What are you using for a fuel pump on that SBC?

And i just noticed it looks like you're using the butch's engine mounts. Can I get some more detailed pics of those too?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. jkluge

jkluge

The radiator comes with those side tabs already, I just trimmed about 1/4" off each one of those and it then dropped right in for me to drill my holes for mounting.
    I have a Holley electric in line fuel pump in the rear next to the tank.
    I'll take some more pictures of the engine mounts.

7. I don't suppose anyone knows of a source for new or used sill plates for a four door. Baby Lincoln or Merc???

8. Slopok

Slopok

You could try Lincoln Mercury Old Parts Store located in Clearwater Florida, they have helped me in the past.

9. Bounder

Bounder

Glad to see this thread still alive and well. Had forgotten all about this since I got the old blue merc running. Time to start interior and body work, I need a right front fender or patch panel. And I am gonna use a 65 Thunderbird interior if I can find one. Just got to start calling these folks.

10. frederickhu

frederickhu

11. I just paid $55.77 per drum, available overnight at my local NAPA store. The drum did NOT need hole enlargement or other modification to fit my 1950 Merc.

Drums are clearly marked CHINA and are very slightly different shape at the edge, plenty of meat, and they are quite nicely machined, I'm pleased. Next step is replacing leaky wheel cylinder and adding self adjusting kit intended for 1967 F100 pu. NAPA, bof'um.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Did anyone notice someone on eBay is selling full lower quarter panels for the 49-50 coupe in steel for $350 for the pair, shipped? Has anyone bought any of these? I'm surprised they can even ship them for that price, they're huge. Can't imagine they're great quality but geez, that seems dirt cheap.

13. I'de have to look in the archives to see who I got mine from, but it was like $1400 for the pair with shipping,and I thought I was doing good:rolleyes:. Things to consider though- They come without trim holes,so if your a trim guy, be prepared. Also- The crown above the top of the wheel well doesn't have the slightest arch to match the upper 1/4.
    I'm all welded in, but just info for those thinking it's bolt on and go, it isn't.

14. I got these for my Merc, they are patch panels. Not meant to be bolt on. They worked out pretty good for a patch panel but a lot of work went into both quarters to get them nice, not sure if it was worth it or just buy new ones and make them fit. IMG_1483589524.492996.jpg IMG_1483589563.223608.jpg IMG_1483589668.859523.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

51 mercules likes this.
  15. deanmerc

deanmerc

I'm restoring a stock 1951 Mercury Coupe.

I just purchased the drums that Doctor Detroit listed: NAPA 440-1070 FRONT, and 440-1073 REAR

FRONT dimensions:
    # of Bolt Holes 5
    Bolt Circle Diameter 139.7 mm
    Brake Drum Surface Depth 61.5 mm
    Center Bore Diameter 80.25 mm
    Height 77.7 mm
    Height (Inches) 3.06''
    Height (mm) 77.7 mm
    I.D. (Inches) 11.00''
    I.D. (mm) 279.4 mm
    Inside Diameter 279.4 mm
    Maximum Discard Diameter 280.92 mm
    Mounting Type Composite
    O.D. 315.5 mm
    O.D. (Inches) 12.42''
    O.D. (mm) 315.5 mm
    UNSPSC 25171714
    Width (Inches) 2.42''
    Width (mm) 61.5 mm

REAR dimensions:
    # of Bolt Holes 5
    Bolt Circle Diameter 139.7 mm
    Brake Drum Surface Depth 54.7mm
    Center Bore Diameter 73 mm
    Height 70.0 mm
    Height (Inches) 2.76''
    Height (mm) 70 mm
    I.D. (Inches) 11.00''
    I.D. (mm) 279.5 mm
    Inside Diameter 279.5 mm
    Maximum Discard Diameter 281.7 mm
    Mounting Type Composite
    O.D. 317.4 mm
    O.D. (Inches) 12.50''
    O.D. (mm) 317.4 mm
    UNSPSC 25171714
    Width (Inches) 2.15''
    Width (mm) 54.7 mm

16. deanmerc

deanmerc

The NAPA site lists these applications for 440-1073:
    BUYER'S GUIDE -This part fits the vehicles listed below.
    Make Model Year Range
    Ford Bronco 1966 - 1975
    Ford F1 1/2 Ton - Pickup 1948 - 1952
    Ford F100 1/2 Ton - Pickup 1953 - 1967
    Ford P100 1961 - 1967

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    51 mercules likes this.
  17. Did anyone buy Mercurylands parts
    I'm Looking for a few things

18. Does anyone know where to get window channels for a 49 Merc?

19. Glad to see folks still using this thread.

mr57 and 1949 mercury like this.
  20. Bump Stops and Coil Isolators - Direct replacements parts for the Mercury are unavailable.

Upper bump stop is a pull-through design and the Merc fitment hole is larger than Ford. Energy Suspension makes a bump stop p/n 9.9102G (G=black=rubber) which has a stud but otherwise the rubber cone is close in functional dimensions. To install, use two fender washers on the stud, one just under 1" dia and another about 1 1/2" dia. Drill the center hole if needed to accommodate the stud. When it is still a tad bit loose i.e. before reaching full tightness, wiggle the assembly to insure the 1" washer performs it's function of properly centering the assembly within the 1" hole. Note - I installed this upper bump stop before replacing the coil (Aerostar) as the area is tight and there is no access once the coil is in place.

Lower bump stop is Energy Suspension part number 9.9101R (R=red=polyurethane) Removing the old bump stop from the A-arm is a major chore. I found it best to drill a hole(s) in the rubber from the top until a hole can be established to lock old bump stop molded-in-washer with the A-arm which will allow either the nut to break loose or the stud to break.

Most recommend polyurethane material over rubber for strength and longevity. However, I found not source in urethane for the upper bump stop. Bottom is available in both materials. Amazon sources the lower bump stop but not the upper, so I used O'Reilly which had both parts overnight They come in boxes of 2. So $30 total for another 75 years. I'm sure the ones I removed were original.

Coil Isolator - top - Ford uses a coil isolator only (some call it an insulator) only on the top of the coil. It fits fine on the Aerostar and original coil in the Merc, and is available from Dennis Carpenter about $5 each. The Ford part number is 8A5415.

Coil Isolator - bottom Ford didn't use one but Mercury did and no direct aftermarket part exists. Easy way is to use a foot of 5/8" heater hose, forced onto one turn of the coil.

Aerostar coil springs reputedly give the Mercury front suspension a 2 1/2" drop, which is bit more than I want. So I found a Master Pro Strut Mount (MSM) part number FM1824 again overnight from the O'Reilly store about $11 each. It is a very close fit to the coil bottom shape and diameters and a good 1/2" thick thus reducing my drop to 2". This top of the isolator fits the bottom of the coil well, and the while the isolator is flat on its bottom and the pocket it rests on is shaped to the coil bottom, on coil installation it didn't complain about the shapely coil pocket in the lower A-arm.

21. Anyone know where to get the clips for the chrome right under the side window for a 49 Merc ?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. FINMAN310

FINMAN310

HI I AM LOOKING FOR 51 MRC TAIL LIGHTS COMPLETE OR JUST BEZELS
    FINMAN 201 468 2843

23. hondoslade

hondoslade

I’m in need of a shift collar and a rubber shift lever bushing for my ‘49 Merc. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

24. chevy2tom

chevy2tom

I'm looking for front & rear bumpers for a 51 merc in good shape

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

26. japchris

japchris
    from England

Merc steering box worm info -
    The box in my 50 was a bit ‘notchy’, so picked up a ‘used’ spare off a 51 that I was going to swap in.
    However on opening that one up, I found that this donor box also had a galled worm gear.
    As there does not appear to be a new replacement worm for a Merc on the market, (at least I couldn’t find one!), I bought a NEW 1937-48 Ford / 48-52 Pickup steering shaft worm gear 78-3524 from eBay, as I’d heard these also fit.
    It originated from this firm – https://www.chsauto.com/eng/productos.php#prettyPhoto
    P1220185.JPG
    That meant getting the old worm off and the new one on, which I entrusted to a company over here in UK https://www.holman-engineering.co.uk/automotive-steering.php , as my tools only consist of a vice and a large hammer, and any attempts I made to swap them over would surely have ended in tears. (Think I’m right in saying that the Ford pickup shaft has a spline for the steering wheel, whereas the Merc has a key, so I couldn’t just get a new shaft with the worm already fitted, unless I wanted to change the steering wheel or do some cutting and welding.)

So… For anyone-else with a similar issue, I have got the rebuilt box back from the engineers and can confirm that the Ford pickup worm 78-3524 does indeed work in the Merc box and does fit on the Merc shaft. So all good!

Just as a side note – the Merc steering shaft also had a damaged thread at the top where someone had previously used a hammer to get the steering wheel off. (They must have the same tool kit I have!)
    I made good the thread which required a die, HANSON 6854 Die 5/8"-18 Nc Hex Hcs, that I had to buy from USA, (https://www.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=3606550), as I couldn’t find a supplier in UK.

Squablow, D type and williebill like this.
  27. Any chance someone has a passenger side vent window pivot? I need the upper pivot, female side. The one that rivets onto the stainless frame. Thanks!