Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949-1951 Mercury Experts - Cowl Plate Decodes and General Facts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950merc, Dec 3, 2009.

1. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

This may be a little long and a little confusing, but I have two cowl plates on my 50 merc (one above another on the passenger side cowl). The upper one is the vin and I believe the lower one is the patent plate. They have been painted over and the following raised letters and numbers are visible on the upper plate:

50SL*****M (I'll leave the number out, so I don't have paranoid people tell me I shouldn't give out my vin)

From everything I have found this means it is indeed a 1950 and it was built in St. Louis. If I subtract 10,001 from the number it tells me the order number for the St. Louis plant (as opposed to the actual "serial number" given as it was in production at the St. Louis). The "M" simply means Mercury.

The lower cowl plate has the following characters:

SLM74

03-58-23H48

I cannot find a decoder for this. I have found a decoder for Fords, but it doesn't work out the same. I have some guesses.

The SL may mean St. Louis.
    The M may mean Mercury.
    The 74 is most likely the model number.
    The 03 and 58 I can't even venture a guess.
    The 23H may mean the production date was August 23.
    The 4 may have something to do with the transmission type.
    The 8 may have something to do with the rear axle ratio.

I wasn't around in the 50's, but I have heard when the new cars came out it was a much bigger deal than today. I have also read that production years started mid August. If the August 23 date is correct, would it have meant August 23, 1949, and been relatively early in the 1950 run? My VIN makes me think it was around the 85,000th mercury ordered from the St. Louis plant. Would they have churned out that many in a month's time. I know orders and production numbers were not necessarily in the same order, because of parts availability. That leads me to my next question, how many 1950 Mercs were produced? I have read numbers like 283,658, 293,658, and, 344,000. I suspect the 283,658 is right and the 293,658 is a mistake, because the vin numbers started at 10,001. I have no idea where the 344,000 came from.

I have read that the one millionth Mercury was built in August of 1950. One site even said August 1, 1950. Would it have been one of the last 1950's or one of the first 1951's?

Does anybody have more info on the one millionth Mercury? I think it would be neat if it turned out a HAMBer had it.

Sorry this was so long, I would have posted on the Merc social page, but I figured more people would see it here. I'm hoping somebody like BADBOB or Bruce Lancaster might know these general facts along with technical facts.

Thanks for reading. Thanks in advance for replies.

2. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

Bttt for the morning readers.

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Best I can do; out of the 1949-1951 Lincoln/Mercury manual. Can't find any paint codes in there though. You should be able to right click on each scan and save to your hard drive; then print.

Jim

Pic 1
    [​IMG]

Pic 2
    [​IMG]

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Paint codes are in the Body Parts Catalog. 03 is Banning blue metalic (paint code) and 58 is blue gray block broad cloth (trim code). 23H48= 23 August & 48th car assembled that day.

5. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

How about the black, green, yellow, white paint codes? Do you have them Rotorwrench?

6. Production figures for '50 Mercury according to "The V8 Album" published by the Early V8 Ford Club:

Coupe 151489
    Monterey unknown
    Four door 132082
    Cvt 8341
    Woodie 1746

Production figures according to "Encyclopedia of American Cars" are the same with the exemption of Monterey, as it states that the produced number of Monterey's are included in the 151489 coupe's.

I dont have the color codes for '50, but for '51 here are the codes were
    the colors "blown49" is asking for:

Raven Black 01E or 01L
    Hillcrest Green 11E or 11L
    Coverntry Green Gray 12E or 12L
    Lakewood Green 13E or 13L
    Vassar Yellow 19E or 19L

L is for Lacquer, thats only for the Detroit built cars
    E is Enamel, thats all other plants

I have no code for white, was it available in 50 or 51?

7. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Cool. Looks like my 50 was built in Metuchen,NJ. Thanks!!

8. I noticed that I have the names of the '50 Merc colors as well in the "V8 Album" (however, not the '50 color codes...)
    Black was just "Black"
    Everglade Green
    Roanoke Green Metallic
    Maywood Green Metallic
    Mirada Yellow (cvt. color only)

9. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

These are the paint color codes from the 1950 Mercury Body Parts Catalogue from December 1950
    01= Black
    03= Banning Blue Metalic
    05= Royal Bronze Maroon
    07= Trojan Gray
    09= Dune Beige
    11= Everglade Green
    13= Maywood Green
    15= Laguna Blue
    17= Roanoke Green
    19= Mirada Yellow
    26 upper= Maywood Gren
    lower = Trojan Gray
    27 upper= Dune Beige
    lower= Penrod Tan
    31 upper= Penrod Tan
    lower= Dune Beige
    33 upper= Trojan Gray
    lower= Roanoke Green
    35 upper= Roanoke Green
    lower= Trojan Gray
    37 upper= Trojan Gray
    lower= Banning Blue
    39 upper= Banning Blue
    lower= Trojan Grey
    41 upper= Trojan Grey
    lower= Laguna Blue
    43 upper= Laguna Blue
    lower= Trojan Grey

10. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

Thanks blown49, rotorwrench, and RPW for the info. Now can anybody answer the million dollar question about the one millionth Mercury?

11. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK Mine is 9cm261646 17 paint and 59J trim then style is 9m74 and there is another number below that that is 137788 What does all this tell me?

I know it is a blue 4 door! LOL Jim

12. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

I'm obviously not the expert, but 17 seems to be Roanoke Green and 9m74, 74 was the sedan, but it almost sounds like yours was the 74th car built on December 9th. I think it would have been in 1948. The other stuff, no idea here.

13. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

cfnutcase
    I checked my 1949 body parts catalog and there is no break down at all for the Patent Plate or the Body Plate. I think it is relatively safe to assume that the 1950 codes would be the same or similar. 1951 codes are similar to 1950 but have different names for the colors on most items and the trim code numbers are all different even though they used similar materials. The xerpt from the 49 thru 51 maintenance manual shows what the 1949 plate location looked like and a basic number break down. It just doesn't show the codes. Paint code 17 was most likely Roanoke Green. There is no "59" or "59J" trim code listed for 1950 or 1951. It should read like the illustration posted previously from the 49-51 Maintenance Manual. Take another good look at the body plate compared to the illustration to see if something is missing.

That car looks more banning blue than green unless time and weather are fooling our eyes. It also could have been resprayed but somewhere on the car in the door jams or trunk it should be original. Most body shops didn't paint the whole car just what you can see.

PS: A close look at the maintenance manual above states that a change was made in 1950 in the body code and trim code. They were stamped on the patent plate in 1949 but I can't find a code break down anywhere in the body parts catalog.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  14. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

If RPW's numbers are right and similar numbers were sold in 1949 and 1951 the millionth (sp?) wouldn't have been produced. (293,658*3=880,974) To be honest the count to one million should start with the '39 models.

The "Cars of the facinating 40's" lists 301,319 sold in 1949.

The "Cars of the facinating 50' lists no sale numbers at all for the Mercs in '50 and '51.

Jim

15. The years you asked for (production figures from "The V8 Album". A great book by the way!)

Coupe 7970
    Tudor 6560
    Fordor 17193
    Cvt 7970

Coupe 15107
    Tudor 15506
    Fordor 37178
    Cvt 9212
    Cvt Sedan 978

Coupe 1560
    Coupe w/aux seats 1251
    Coupe Sedan 12297
    Tudor 11276
    Fordor 25922
    Cvt 6112
    Woodie 1010

Coupe 718
    Sean coupe 4942
    Tudor 5120
    Fordor 10476
    Cvt 956
    Woodie 897

Sedan Coupe 24163
    Tudor 13108
    Fordor 40280
    Cvt 6044
    Sportsman cvt 205
    Woodie 2797

Sedan Cpe 29284
    Fordor 43281
    Cvt 10221
    Woodie 3558

Sedan cpe 16476
    Fordor 24283
    Cvt 7586
    Woodie 1886

Cpe 120616
    Sport Sedan 155882
    Cvt 16765
    Woodie 8044

Cpe 142168
    Monterey Unknown
    SportSedan 157648
    Cvt 6759
    Woodie 3812

16. Monarch51

Monarch51

17. globalgrooves

globalgrooves

does anyone know how many 51 monarch sedans were built?

18. Strong-arm

Strong-arm

Do all Mercs have an "M" at the end if the VIN#?

19. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

I also wonder how 49 monarch's were made? I have owned mine for almost 30 years and have never seen another one, except in pic's. Maybe it's because I live in SO. CAL.

20. dave boley

dave boley

Hi Folks,
    I found this thread while attempting to decode a set of plates on a very bad old Merc I am thinking about buying. I'm told it's a '49 but There is a lot missing and I'm not totally sure. Below are two representations of the plates on the firewall. So far as I can tell the top is the Patent Plate and the bottom is the Body Plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would like to know if anyone here can tell me if it is a '49 for sure and if so what other information can be decoded from this information I have provided. I specifically need to know what part is the actual VIN number that would be put on a title. If I gan determine that, I can get a title. The paint on the plates is completely gone, just the stamped in numbers remain. I also am somewhat curious about the asterisks or stars on the top plate. I seem to recall that Ford used those to indicat somethig special on my the old F-100s back in '53. I can't recall exactyly what they represented.

I realize this is an old thread but hopefully my post will wake it up and one of you experts out there can respond and help me with this. Any and all help or suggestions as to how to figure this out would be appreciated.

Later Folks...

Dave

21. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

9CM would indicate 1949 Mercury. 9CM74 indicates 4-door Sport Sedan. DBN is most likely Dearborn Mich. The VIN would be the 9CM**39953 (first number on top diagram). The 03 on patent plate is likely Banning Blue Metalic. The 60 on the patent plate is tlikely trim code for Blue Gray Stripe Nylon and Mohair or posibly some Blue Gray combination of broadcloth and stripe material.

The 1949s are harder to deciphire than the 50 & 51 due to little or no information in the Body Parts Catalog or at least in my copy. A lot of the codes for 1950 are similar if not the same so this is my best educated guess.

Kerby

22. WDO40

WDO40

thanks the codes will help me also

23. dave boley

dave boley

Thanks Kerby. The most important question I had, you answered. This thing is so bad and missing so much that the other stuff does little more than satisfy curiosity. Apparently rthe double asterisks are just space holders.

I was mainly concerned about the actual VIN as I need that to get a title. If I buy this thing the body will be the only thing I use and it will be put on a custom built chassis of my own design. I just love the look of the '49 Merc and even though the 2 door models are more popular and are worth more, I kind of have a thing for the old 4 door sedans. These things were a part of my youth.

Later...

24. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

On the later 50 & 51 the spaces in the VIN indicated by asterisks would be the 2 digit manufacturing plant code. DA was used for Dearborn, Michigan but I am not near as familiar with the 49 models as I am the later codes of 50 & 51 since they are published in the individual Body Parts Catalogs. The Body number used in 1949 on the Body Plate is a mystery to me. I don't know if it includes a date code or if it is just a linear body number asigned to the individual bodies after completion but before they are installed on a frame. If anyone else knows the answer, I'd sure like to know too.

I'm a Sport Sedan fan as well. I think the suicide doors wouild really set off a custom if it was done with an artistic eye.

Kerby

25. dave boley

dave boley

That would be my approach if I do it.

26. dave boley

dave boley

OK Folks,
    I'm warming up more to this idea but I have not taken the plunge and made a deal. So first I'll post a picture and then I'll take suggestions. (Be gentle'cause I'm old...)

[​IMG]

The big question here is amatter of what it's worth. The guy wants $1,400.00 for it. I can get a title so that is one plus. Next are the rest of the pros and cons as I see them. It is solid although covered inside and out with surface rust. There seems to be absolutely no hardware like door handles and such. The grille is allso missing as well as the front bumber. The back bumper looks good in the picture but probably needs re-chromed. There is no engine but there is an old three speed tranny still in it, probably original. All the glass is gone. No interior at all, not even stuff to make patterns from.

Here is what I would do with it. First I would get it off the frame and striped down for blasting and epoxy primer. If I were to build it to completion I believe I would fabricate a complete new rolling chassis with F&RIS that would hold up to a big high torque drive train. I'm not sure at this time if I would chop it. Notice there is a big hole in the roof. I'm not sure why that is but I have several powered moon roofs and I think I could fill the hole. I would approach this project in stages so that I could sell out of it at several stages of the build. I have the ability and the fcacility to do most all of the work to bring it to a full finish so I am not at the mercy of other shops and services. What concerns me more is whether some of the missing body parts and trim are available form aftermarket sources. Various degrees of customizing would of course aleviate some of these needs. I am not really interested in radical customizing as I am a person from the time of this car and I remember them well.

So tell me folks... What do you think? I s it worth it or should I pass it up? I probably would nit be interested it it if I had not always wanted a '49 Merc. Am I nuts? Are there better deals out there? Help me out here folks.

Later...

27. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well that car looks to me like it has been in a fire, I really have a hard time not wanting to save all of the mercs out there however I think if you were to build a merc I would just have to pass on that car and find another one, there are much better cars out there for not much more money. I think you would spend so much on the missing parts and on just getting the car to a builder stage that you would loose intrest in it before you got started. Just my .02 worth.

28. dave boley

dave boley

The owner claims it was not in a fire but it sat out west somplace for years in the hot sun and was subject to theft and vandalism. I too thought fire when I first saw the pictures. I have only seen the pictures. It is about two hours drive away from me. I need to go take a look at it. I will know then if it was a fire. Thanks for responding.

Later Man...

29. Harpo

Harpo

mine reads as follows if anyone can help decode it
    51SL74,***M
    SLM72B
    15-66-4E10

I know the car is painted black (probably somewhere in the 60's, it was originally a light metallic blue (Laguna blue maybe?) some of the trim had been removed and filled (probably with lead), I have just recently acquired this car. It had been sitting for at least 40 years. I played in it as a kid...

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Dave, "Pass" on that car as it's a 4 door and not complete. Merc parts are getting to be very expensive and rarer every day. Save up more $$ and buy a better car.