Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1948 Plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, May 28, 2009.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Goodguy Gary Meadors built the definitive version of a mild custom '47 coupe decades ago. I believe it had been his actual high school car in the 50's. Sometime around 1980, he built it into a mid-to-late 50's version of the car, bright yellow with wide whites and a perfect stance. Maybe someone can post a photo. I have searched to no avail.

2. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

There was that wicked 46 Dodge 3 window at the Revolution 2 years ago and i fell in love with it. I think it'd make a bitchin daily driver. Slip in a mildly hopped up baby hemi and a 5 speed . . . . ahhh there I go dreaming again.

Attached Files:

3. Saw this one at Paso a few years back,,,,lots of little, subtle changes make one bitchin' custom....

[​IMG]

Bryan

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

For me it's all in the grill, some of them are nice and suit the car, other years they are butt ugly.

6. vertible59

vertible59

YES, I remember that car and the magazine coverage on it. Cannot remember what mag. though. That car was the real deal.
    Does anyone remember the '46-48 Plymouth 2-dr that was on the cover of R&C in about '69 or '70? That too, was a great looking car that normally wouldn't grace the cover of a major magazine.:)

7. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Way cool.

8. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

the one in my avatar is my 1940 dodge business coupe "luxury liner". a few mods but stuck with the stock running gear because it runs pretty well. im not setting any landspeed records, but it goes down the road just fine. hope you dig it. if i ever figure this pic thing out, ill post one. (too lazy to read the threads on that right now)

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Mopars have never gotten the respect as other makes........regardless of years.....probably never will either....

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I drive by a 38 ply everydayfor the last 8 years. They had a yard sale and I stopped by to inquire. Of course the interior was a rag and what the packrats hadnt eaten the time had.
    I ask the inevitable question.
    I get the invariable reply.
    He's refused 10k for it. I offered 2k. He stood steady. I did too. I was lying but could "show" if I had to. Mom came out with a picture of it and Auntie in the 50's. I gave them a frame I had gotten at a previous yard sale and made their day. The seed was planted and they'll remember me as the nice guy who put Auntie's picture in a frame. The old guy was smoking nonfilter cheepies. I'll go back in a year.

11. autobilly

autobilly

Y'all could fit plenty of 'Shine in those babies, just add Hemi.

12. Scott K

Scott K

When compared to Henry's offerings, the Mopars were really a better engineered car (beefier frames, IFS, parallel leaf rear, open driveline) and in my opinion a better flowing style. The fords always looked like stuff was just tacked on (fenders) rather than integrated into the overall design.
    They just lacked the V-8 engine. And that's one reason hot rodders stay away from the Mopars of the era. A V-8 swap into a Mopar is more difficult than a comperable Ford. As for GM's of the era...I got nothin', those things are just plain ugly:p.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Here is mine. I've always been a Ford man but there was something about the 48 Plymouth styling that I loved. It took a friend to tell me why. It's the way the center window post slants. I had to agree.

Drove it to T.J. for upholstery. $800 and 12 hours. Pretty decent job. I might have gotten it a couple of hundred less if I had dickered a little but I had taken ten $100 bills with me so I was satisfied.

The color is 2002 Bug, Isotope Green.

Attached Files:

14. The one Ryan posted looks cool but most have the whole proportion turn off for me... For my mopar money I'd be going for a 41 plymouth business coupe....yum

Attached Files:

15. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Man I love an old mopar. They have that look good from one angle, ugle from the other boxie kinda round look. Atleast my 47 Dodge Coupe does anyways :)

16. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

The Flathead Mopars have a huge following.

17. Dang it! I've had one for a long time (my buddies high school car in 62-63) and just can't warm up to it. Now after reading through this post I'm on the fence again.

18. cinemafx

cinemafx
    from Vancouver

I also had a 48 Businessman Coupe with a 283. I liked the way the speedo and radio were lit. They changed color according to speed and tone control. green/yellow/red.

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You must mean by tractor restorers. :D

20. This is nuts... I just bought a 46 super deluxe TODAY! Going to pick it up later tonight!

21. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I've posted these before, but here's some pics of my Dad's high school ride, circa 1955
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. plmczy

plmczy

My opinion why there aren't more of these done is because ther is not alot of parts available for these cars. Try to find body parts for these cars ie; replacement rockers,trunk floors,door skins,floor pans etc. If you do find stuff it's way expensive. Everywhere you look you find company's that deal in ford and chevy parts. There is a huge market for those parts so thats what most companies cocentrate on. It seems with mopars since there is small group of people that are into them it's not worth the trouble for them. I think and I hope with the main stream cars being harder to find and prices climbing for them, more people are turning to the more unpopular cars and building them that more parts will become available in the aftermarket. later shawn

23. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Did the car you are referring to have a mural on the trunk? My late brother, Tom Richey, bought one from a guy in Washington or Oregon that was on the cover. I'll see if I can dig up the issue over the next few days.

24. Scott K

Scott K

Tru today. When my dad was building his 40 Plymouth coupe (finished in 1982) NOS parts were not hard to find. Don't remember prices, but remember a lot of parts for 40 - 48 Plymouth's available. Never been a lot of completed cars at the shows, though.

25. Clark

Clark

Funny this should come up. We're working day and night on this car to clean it up a bit and give it a fresh paint job. Not sure what color yet or even gloss or flat. We go to the paint store tomorrow. Should be done mid next week for york.

We chopped it 3" in the front and about 5" in the back. Our goal was to get rid of the hump above the back window.

Of coarse it's sporting an Olds grill and now we've filled some of the unused holes and added a bumber on the back with a Kaiser guard.
    Clark

Attached Files:

26. Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

This is my 48 Plymouth.
    Dennis
    [​IMG]

27. joel torres

joel torres

i only like 4 doors and im currently rebuilding my 47 as a custom drivetrain with stock body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

What's even more funny, I was just wondering what one of these would look like with an Old's grill, and a picture of one is posted. Hard to come up with an idea that hasn't already been done. I like it!

29. teddyp

teddyp

only plym i ever like was the 46-48 had one in high school 51 buick tail lights 51 ford skirts lakes, dummy spots spinners and 80 lov,s in the hood great car till it burned

30. I have always been a Mopar freak and have always loved the look of the late 40's Mopars (actually most years but especially the ones pictured).