Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford F4 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Hivolt5.0, Nov 8, 2011.

1. I can definitely say I've learned a lot through the whole process and although some of them are frustrating they still present opportunities to learn.

As for running the lines through the frame, uhm not really. The crossmember that is shown in the picture obviously holds the transmission and the brake booster/MC and pedal assembly bolt it. The crossmember is riveted to the frame rails but Ford left some small gaps between the crossmember and frame rail and that's where I ran the lines. I'll get a better pic and post it for you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Feel like a trip to Florida??? You probably need to exercise that luck some more.

3. Thanks for looking up those part numbers, Hivolt. No hurry. I owe you some information on the emergency brake I'm fabricating. I stopped working on the project when it got cold, and now that its warmer, I need to clean up the garage before starting back on it. You are doing a great job on the F-4. I'm inspired by every turn.

4. I appreciate the encouraging words Osage. We're here to help each other out and that's the great part of the HAMB.

David

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nah, its too cold in Florida.:D I can send you the flare kit to use though if you want. No probs.

6. Yeah, you'd probably have to wear shoes. ;-) we actually have had quite the cold winter this year. I appreciate the offer on the flare tool, but another HAMBer, geoking, has graciously already mailed his to me to use.

7. Osage, here is the information you asked for.

Master Cylinder: 1978 Chevy C30. The MC has a 1 5/16 bore which is actually a little bit bigger than the stock 1 1/4 bore but the guy I got the MC part number from installed this MC on his COE and he said it would lock the wheels up if he stomped on the brake pedal.

Raybestos PN: MC39017
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=309290&cc=1033939

Booster: is your basic 8 inch dual diaphragm booster from Speedway
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/8-Inch-Dual-Brake-Booster,9557.html

Proportioning Valve: Wilwood brand valve purchased from Speedway
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-Proportioning-Blocks-With-Brake-Light-Switch,6160.html

Residual Valves: these are 10 lb (for drum brake) valves also purchased from Speedway
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/Street-Rod-Residual-Valves/15.html

Brake push rod: This is needed to connect the brake pedal to the booster, also purchased from Speedway
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Master-Cylinder-Pushrod-5-5-8-Sleeve-3-8-Heim,9329.html

Patience: Can't buy that anywhere. You'll have to find it for yourself. :D

8. jB in KC

jB in KC
    from raymore MO

I'm building a 49 f2. If u post I will too! Very interested to see your progress.

9. Very cool jB! I love these old Bonus Built trucks.

10. Abomination

Abomination

I'm also in KC, up North by Harrah's.

I can give you a number of a guy that buys and parts out F2+ trucks locally. :)

~Jason

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  11. Abomination

Abomination

I think this guy sells the oak or ash crossmembers (not metal, WOOD is OEM in the bigger trucks):
    http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/page29.php#woodcross

Notice the link takes you to the catalog page for Ford parts (page 29), but the "#woodcross" part of the link (meant to jump you down the page to where the wood crossmembers are) doesn't work because the crossmembers aren't on the page?

Dude has the patterns still. I bet if you asked he's make 'em.

Here's a helpful link:
    http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2089

And another:
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/657392-51-f2-bed-floor-and-crossmember-questions.html

I had to pick up all this the hard way! But enough folks are reading this thread that it may be a good place to stash the info on the wooden crossmembers so others can find it.

And yeah, you can probably make metal ones, but sometimes you just want something that bolts together, and it's not worth fighting OEM.

~Jason

12. Hivolt:

Many thanks for your generosity, sharing this info. The parts numbers are an enormous help, and I'm getting right on it so that I can get these brakes done this year. Getting dual master cylinder chambers might just save my life someday. Thanks in advance for that.

13. Sorry for the lack of updates. Allergies have been terrible here in the Panhandle of Florida and I got the crud; lost my voice and everything. Needless to say I didn't feel like doing anything. I was able to get one of the brake lines redone with the flaring tool a fellow HAMBer let me borrow before I went on a week and half vacation. My Dad and I joined a few thousand other Mustang fans and celebrated Mustang's 50th Anniversary at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We had a blast but now it's time to get down to business on the '48. I hope to get the brake lines remade within the next few evenings.

Dave

14. Well, I was able to get the front brake lines redone and so far no leaks!! The only lines that need to be worked now are the ones across the rear end. I was looking foward to fab'ing those up this past week when Mother Nature stepped in. I'm sure many fellow HAMB'ers were affected by the nasty line of storms that rolled through Eastern half of the States and unfortunately we were affected as well. Pensacola, FL (about an hour west of my house) had over 2 feet of rain in a 24 hour period. Crazy! Here in Fort Walton, while we didn't have that much rain we had a lot and several areas were affected by flash floods including the neighborhood where I live. Fortunately we only had a little bit of water enter the house but my garage was flooded and my poor neighbors across the street had 6 to 8 inches of water in their house.

This is looking our my front door. The water had actually gone down 4 inches at this point.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the garage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only "tools" that were submerged in the water were my Oxy/Actyl torch regulators, torches and hose, my miter saw, a paint cup and needle setup for my HVLP spray gun and few other misc items. I got those items of the water and once the waters receded I cleaned them and blew any water out of them. Hopefully they'll be ok. I have an adjuster coming this week to investigate everything.

Definitely could have been worse.

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm glad it wasn't any worse than that. It seems like so many HAMBers have been affected by adverse weather the last few years and I feel bad for all of them.

16. Well hells bells Dave . I guess it could have been worse . Man what an inconvenience though . Stay positive and you'll get through this mess . Andy..

17. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Glad you came through it as well as you did. Hope it doesn't happen to often.

18. Thanks guys. This flooding is a first for me and the worst the neighborhood has ever experienced. There were a lot of families more impacted than me, my thoughts go out to them.

19. Finally finished remaking all of the brake lines. Some I had the opportunity to make a few times! WoHoo!! My wife helped me put an initial bleed on the brakes so I can check for leaks. So far the only one still leaking is the line from the master cylinder to the residual valve but that's an easy line to remake. Crossing my fingers all of the others hold!

20. All of the brake lines are leak free! Praise the Lord! Needless to say I'm sick of working on those lines but I believe I finally figured out the secret to flaring them and having a good tool is definitely part of the equation. Now it's time to clean up the engine and install it. Of course, being the sick and demented person that I am, I rolled the chassis out of the garage last night and washed it. I got all of the dust/dirt and hand prints off of it and it looks really good now. My other reason for rolling the chassis out was to be able to shift some things around so that I could actually get to the engine to detail it. Hopefully I 'll start having some positive progress!

21. Been reading this one since it started, is there anyway to fix the pictures?

22. I've wondered the same thing about the pictures. I'm not sure what needs to be done or if it's anything I can fix. Most of the pictures are in my F4 album with just a handful posted from my phone using the iPhone app.

23. These past few weeks have been very productive for me, I finally have the engine/transmission re-installed in the chassis! At first I was just going to scuff the engine and transmission and paint them but a couple of things prevented me from doing that: 1) I saw dirt in the input/output fittings of the transmission and 2) the paint on the engine was flaking off in chunks. So, I separated the trans from the motor and took it to actual honest transmission guy here in town. I told him about the dirt and that the trans had been sitting so he cleaned out all of the dirt and installed new front and rear seals. While that was happening I took several days and used every method I knew of to remove the old paint from the engine including the use of a bead blaster at Eglin AFB's Hobby Shop to clean up the timing chain cover, brackets, pulleys and what ever else I could fit inside the blast cabinet. While I had it all apart I replaced all of the seals, timing chain, etc. The motor looks great inside; nice and clean and spins over smoothly. Also, I finally got to set the crowning touch on the engine, its tribute to Hot Rodders of the past. Looking at the pictures below I'm sure you'll be able to tell what I'm talking about. If you can't, I'll give you a hint, fun comes in threes. IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1911.JPG IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1943.JPG IMG_1944.JPG It's so great to have yet another milestone in the build. I'll be working on the little things now to finish up the chassis.

24. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Now that is looking very nice.

25. Thank you.

26. farmer12

farmer12

An absolute masterpiece, well done!

27. Thank you Eric.

28. Well Dave, how's things ? Anything to report on the truck build ? I have only been on here every once and a while thought I would check in and see what's up. Mine hasn't been touched since May and I am anxious to get to it . I have had an off topic project in the shop since June . Should be in paint by the end of Saturday . Your chassis looks good . Nice to see the engine/ trans in place as well . Andy..

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Yes, must be time for an update again.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. I wish I had an update to provide on the build, but an off topic Buick has consumed my time. Had to replace its engine. I'm wrapping that up so hopefully I'll be able to get back on the Ford soon. Believe me, I am ready to make some more progress on it.