Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice stuff! I'm guessing no one ever made a hot rod out of a Duesenberg. Oh hell, I ought to photoshop one and see if I can get it on some Duesenberg website. Might that get their panties in a bunch? lol

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Mark, My modified is getting closer to a roller that I might apply some of your rattle can technique to. My builder is about to build the 3 carb log intake for my "Banger" mill (actually '87 Mustang 2.3L with three one bbl carbs). The header is an old style sprint car header made using a '36 Ford Torque tube for the majority of the header. Oh, my "Banger" mill will be running a Ranger roller cam. Got a real clean one for $105.

3. Dave, sounds like you're on your way to a cool hot rod with old flavor.

Eli, I've dreamed of making a high dollar classic rod. My choice would be a 1936 Mercedes 540K special roadster, powered with early/mid 70's Mercedes 6.9 V8. Beautifully designed SOHC engine with fuel injection. Almost the entire engine is made of aluminum to polish out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Just read all 34 pages. Great thread! BTW Your old Baja Bug looks real familiar to me from back in the day. I used to go out to the desert a lot back in the late 70s early 80s. Were you driving that in So Cal then? I owned a few different Bajas back then and always had an eye for them.

5. When I built the Baja we lived in Borrego Springs. It made trips to Glamis, Baja Mexico, San Diego. Lots of trips to El Cajon for Baja Bug stuff.

6. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

That paint job you had on it stuck in my mind. The old lifted Blazer looks familiar too but my memory sucks ass.
    One of the reasons I like living here is the parts resources around the area. That and all the gear heads as neighbors.

7. When I lived in Borrego Springs the Baja often sat out in front of the tire store on
    main street, it had also been in Hot VW magazine. Also frequented Ocotillo Wells in
    both rigs.

Back in the 70's and 80's I'd say El Cajon was the VW parts capitol of the world.

In the summer I'd drive the Blazer into San Diego nearly every weekend. We stayed
    at many different places but spent lots of time in Mission Beach. Most all of our
    shopping was done in El Cajon though.

Another shot of the bug:
    Baja 07.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Sounds like we ran in the same circles back then. I spent my winter weekends out in the desert. I just sold my last Baja last year. We are moving to IB next month as it's to damn hot here in the summers.

9. DSC06885.JPG

Part of my "15 minutes of fame"....

The October issue of Street Rodder Magazine featuring our C5 Corvette / 41 Chevy sedan delivery project just came out. We're on pages 50-58. I'm the old geezer with the dirty hat.

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/

DSC06885.JPG

10. The cover photo for the story. It's going to be an ongoing build in the magazine but the build has kinda hit the back burner again.

The owner just purchased a large old Dodge dealership and will be opening a car museum to showcase his collection. The building has been closed for 5 years and needs tons of work but it has been started on.

DSC06883.JPG

11. Here's the project sedan delivery as shown at the Goodguys car show last month at Washington State Fairgrounds. We made a 24" body lift to showcase the drivetrain components. I can't wait to drive this thing.

1941 Chev sedan delivery 1 small.JPG

12. RobErnst

RobErnst

just read this whole thread and noticed no updates in 3 months...

Did you ever take the guy you bought the F-1's from for a ride? How's your angry buddy with the heart attack and stroke?

If you hadn't landed the job, I was going to suggest you open up your own shop with your angry buddy.

I'll keep you and yours in my prayers. I say that so often that, at night, I have to say, "God, you know all the people I promised I'd pray for but can''t remember now? I'm prayin' for them now."

13. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Wow, this is one of the coolest threads I've come across on the HAMB. I like your truck and camper. I like all of the life stories you wove into this.

Chevs of the 40's has helped me out a bunch of times with parts and advice. I am glad you are in their employment. Seems like a good fit.

14. Thanks for taking the time to read about my junk.

Had a lot of "life" stuff lately. Some doctor appointments and tests for my wife but it's all as good as it can be. Became a grandfather 3 weeks ago and they named him after me. Had to build a storage building for my M-I-L's overflow. Doing a bunch of Fall yard work and house maintenance. Also had a rash of the daily drivers breaking down.

I've just been working too much to do my own stuff lately. I have a full time job and do Facebook for two companies every day after work.

https://www.facebook.com/chevsofthe40s
    https://www.facebook.com/StreetRodHeadquarters

Been writing new descriptions on the internet site for Chevsofthe40s.com for the last 3 weeks and probably have about that much more to finish. Then there's the new company "Fabulous Fords" (1957-1964 full-size cars) that is just starting. I'll probably end up working on that site too. The museum is also going gangbusters getting remodeled and ready to open in the Spring.

A couple months ago we took both Chryslers to the Kirkland Concours 'd Elegance show at the LeMay Museum in Tacoma and brought home a huge trophy for "The Most Elegant Open Pre-War Classic". There were some heavy hitters at that show. http://www.kirklandconcours.com/
    0 awards b smallest award 1.JPG

While at the show we went through the LeMay Museum next door. http://www.lemaymuseum.org/ WOW what a bunch of cool cars. It was a celebration of "60 Years of The Corvette" so my favorite car was the SR2 race car built for Harley Earl's son Jerry. Smokey Yunick built the 336 cuin FI engine out of a 283. It ran in 3 international races. 152 MPH on bias ply tires that were 5 inches wide!!

z LeMay 00 0 e small SR2.JPG

Also took the Phaeton to downtown Portland for a wedding photo shoot a couple weeks ago. Really got some stares driving it on Broadway.

0 Chrysler a Mark Spencer Hotel 1 small.JPG

At home, I've been cleaning up small '31 Buick parts once in a while. Looks like the donor Buick Riviera is on hold again. Been trying to figure out a front axle to get hydraulic brakes on the 1931.

The F1 is sitting in the garage. It needs a master cylinder and a carb kit. The Nova is sitting in the driveway. I've driven it a couple times in the last 6 months. Haven't touched the trailer other than clean it out so some friends could stay for a few days.

The F1 guy moved to Arizona before I gave him a ride. My buddy Grouchy Dave passed away 3 weeks ago and there was a wake for him 2 weeks ago. A COOL GUY THAT WILL BE MISSED. Thank you for the prayers.

I'm glad you enjoyed by my slice of life. Thanks for using Chevs, good customers are how I get a pay check.

15. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

I really like your F1. Almost done my build and I am just in the process of putting a bumper on and I much prefer the curves of the one you put on, which year of GMC/chevy is that? Thanks!

16. 1947-1953 Chevy pickup

17. Haven't been doing anything on my stuff but....

Here's a car we're starting restoration on at work.
    It's a factory E-code (dual quad) 312 Y-block with A/C, P/S, 3 speed overdrive.

1957 Ford Ron\'s 001 small.JPG

a shot of the engine in the chassis

1957 Ford engine E-code 2.JPG

So, I started another FB page called FabulousFords.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fabulousfords/235047080005653

It will be for 1957-1964 full size Ford cars. We're getting ready to launch a Ford division at work. The owner of Chevs of the 40's is actually a Ford guy. Kind of ironic. Our website https//www.FabulousFords.com isn't up yet but it's getting close. We'll have lots of parts that other retailers don't. I won't be posting much on the Ford FB page for a while but wanted to get the name nailed down. I'll be glad to add anybody's 57-64 photos though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  18. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

That is going to be a super cool ride

19. Keep'n yourself pretty busy Mark !

20. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

An update to the 'Rattle can rebuild' is always a great way to start the week! Thanks LowKat.

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I agree with Brian. ^^^ Its always a treat to see the cool stuff you get to work on Mark. That '57 ragtop is groovy!

22. jhaas63

jhaas63

Mark, I feel like all the other dudes who have commented on your thread; I have really enjoyed it. Your use of rattle cans hits a major cord with me that the joy of this hobby is not making things perfect and spending tons of dough. Thanks for that man.

23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Like he said, loved the build and all of your resourcefulness, thanks

24. ChefMike

ChefMike

great job cleaning her up !

25. Been really busy at work. Did a little bit on the bosses 57 Cadillac Brougham.
    Original dual quad engine. Nice original interior.

1957 Cadillac Eldo Broughm 1.JPG
    1957 Cadillac Eldo Broughm 4.JPG
    1957 Cadillac engine.jpg

sko_ford likes this.
  26. I'm really busy at work and not working on my stuff.

Been working on the museum construction and a few cool projects though. The '57 Ford E-code convert, a '37 Cord 820 Beverly sedan, a '67 Lincoln convert semi-resto. some fix-its on the tri-powered '62 T-Bird Sports Roadster, 64 Corvette 365HP roadster. Took some cars to concours shows. The 1931 Chrysler Dual Cowl gathered many more awards including a "Best of Show". The '71 Mustang 429SCJ convert did well too. We just acquired an original 20,000 mile '72 Pantera that went but "somebody" left the key on when parking it on the field and it wouldn't start for judging later.... damn-it. Met a real interesting guy with a '31 Lagonda, a '31 Chrysler Waterhouse and Edsel Ford's '30 Phaeton and others.

1937 Cord 1.JPG

2014_07_0 showroom 7.JPG

Went to one of the bosses storage buildings to fetch-up more cars for the museum (56 Packard Caribbean convert, 70 Ranchero 429SCJ, a stock 50 Ford convert) and some projects that need everything but he'll be selling. (70 Torino 429GT, 60 Sunliner convert, 62 Starliner big block, 64 Galaxie XL convert that could be the 1st convert built that year, crusty 50 Ford 2dr sedan flathead V8 totally covered in surface rust, 55 Chevy Belair 4dr V8 with many options and a pair of older restoration '57 Fairlane converts) There's still a few more more cars at that storage.

Ridgefield 2.JPG

The museum's official opening is Jan 1st. Had a couple cruise-ins there this summer. Crammed a bunch of museum cars in what will be the retail showroom for the shows. The museum is behind the showroom.

DSC07286.JPG

206tee and RobC like this.
  27. A couple more projects at work that have me excited are a 57 Ford T-Bird that just came back from the chassis shop after getting a custom frame with modern Corvette suspension. Powered by a Hilborn injected 427 SOHC. It'll have Halibrand salt flat wheels with a vintage "Battlebird" flavor. Some cool features, smoothed firewall with no penetrations, under dash master and clutch cylinders with access through radio speaker grill, gas fill behind tail light.

The other project I can't show or give details about because it's a Ridler award contender. It's just about ready for the full assembly before being blown apart for some unbelievable paint. Then it's final assembly which I'll be on for a few months. Should go to Detroit the show after next.

1957 Ford Thunderbird 429 SOHC 1.JPG

1957 Ford Thunderbird 429 SOHC 6.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. killer t-bird!

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Had a photo shoot for future advertising so I shot a few photos myself. We used Chevs of the 40's flagship '41 Cabriolet and a customer's '39 cop car.

DSC07360 small.JPG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  30. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Nice photo and the reflection of the Cop car looks great.