Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Guess I'll be buying a Street Rodder mag in September! Also, please keep us posted on the T-Bird with the Cammer. Thats gotta have a cool factor of 12 on a scale of 10!

2. I'm not sure if it's Sept cuz the photographer said 'about' September. I'll post when I know exactly. Not sure about the pictures either, I might just be a hand model or a headless body depending on the photo crop.

As soon as I have photos of the 'Bird I'll post them. It's at another shop right now.

3. Made the deal on the partially restored 1931 Buick. It's a series 50 4dr sedan (series 57) I won't have it home at least until next weekend.

Does anybody know the bolt pattern for the stock wheels? I didn't have a tape measure with me. It has the original wire wheels on it now.

Anybody converted an original front axle to juice brakes? disc or drum.

I don't have a picture of the actual car yet but here's one like it.

1931 Buick 50 4 door 03 a.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man thats cool! What are you going to do with it Mark?

5. Not sure what I'm doing yet but is was too good of a deal to pass up.

Got the 31 Buick loaded up and hauled home.

0 1931 Buick ab small.JPG

0 DSC06762.JPG

6. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

I think the pattern is 6 on 6 1/2.

I'll ask the old hot rodders that hang around my shop about the brakes.

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here's an idea, how about an old school gasser style car, complete with old magnesium wheels?
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

8. Eli, thanks for taking the time to PS that! Great job.

Looks really cool.
    Doubt I could afford real magnesium wheels.
    I do have a pair of early Cragar SS aluminum centers that turned kinda gray.

0086 04 APR 09.JPG

Also have 2 pair of chrome reverse for the back, 15X10 or 15X8.
    Truck is gone but still have the wheels.

0241 13 June 09.JPG

9. My wife's older half sister came by today for a visit and wanted to know if I was still interested in a Buick Riviera that I talked to her husband about, 5 or 6 years ago.

If I remember correctly this is a 63-65 and probably a freebie. He bought it to restore about 35 years ago and nothing ever happened. Those cars had 401 or 425 Nailhead engines. This might be the power plant for the new '31. I'll talk to him in the next couple weeks.

Does anybody know anything about a manual trans bellhousing for a nailhead. Starter issues? What years to look for?. I'd be putting a Muncie or T10 behind it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  10. I was just reading Wikipedia about the 63-65 Rivs. The 401 is 325HP and the 425 is 340HP also was an optional dual quad 401 in 64-5 at 360HP. They also have the desirable aluminum drum 12" brakes the hot rodders use. Two automatic transmissions were used, The 'Twin Turbine' (any info on this?) and the 'Super Turbine 400' with a 'Switch Pitch' torque converter.

11. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

Awesome projects! I love the attention to detail

12. Did some buffing on the Nova this weekend and finished painting the roof baby blue.

Also got the '31 Buick in the carport, out of the weather. Now, I'm going to temporarily bolt the body together to see if anything's missing.

0 DSC06790b.JPG

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  13. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Lowcat just joined HAMB. Love the thread thanks for sharing. Will be looking for the F1 posting. :)

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

the Nova looks great

15. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Wow...I was up most of the nite reading this thread. The ingenuity you possess is amazing! I'm trying to get some of that to rub off on me and my Studebaker truck build... :)

16. Jcox68rt, Thanks for the good words. I'm honored you'd spend your time reading the Rattle Can Rebuild. Feel free to use any ideas BUT you'll have to show us your Stude.

Looked over the 31 parts last night and it's not missing much. The original dash cluster is cherry so I probably won't be using the '50 Buick dash but it would look cool.

1950 Buick dash & steering 01.jpg

17. Got the '31 primed and loosely bolted together.

0 DSC06783.JPG

18. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

================

Read once that when assembling Corvette engines Chevy plugged the cylinder head's water passages with shaving cream just before installation to keep core sand and other junk from falling out and into cylinders or valley where they could do some harm. I guess there might have been something to it.

19. Sounds like a good idea!

20. bentouttashape

bentouttashape

Really enjoyed your build, thanks for taking the time to share.
    Doing it yourself, on a budget and following what pleases yourself is what its all about.
    As to the Great Frame Debate; IMHO you did what makes sense. Traded old tech for newer tech.
    Been there done that.
    Latest F Truck is a 49 on a C10 frame, TBI 350, 400 trans, tall posi rearend.
    Work truck that stops goes cruises down the hiway like a 91 Suburban.
    [​IMG]
    Previous one had a GM front clip, GM rear axle 350/350
    One before had dropped straight axle, Ford pickup rear end 351 HiPo C6
    The F1 panel is the best of the bunch for daily use & abuse.

21. bentouttashape.... Welcome to the HAMB and thanks for the compliments.

I really like your panel. It makes sense to frame swap if you want to drive in modern traffic. I still haven't decided what to do on the '31 Buick yet.

22. Nailhead in the buick restorod

23. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

How bout a Chevrolet 292 L6 - Ford 300 L6? Ether one would pull A/C P/S and the car I think very well. And think you for sharing things!!

24. To me a hot rod says V8. I should find out about the Riviera as a donor soon that would provide a nailhead engine. If that doesn't work out I'll probably use the 327 Chevy and Muncie M21 four speed I already have. It's a good running engine.

whtblz21.jpg

25. bentouttashape

bentouttashape

Choices are good to have.
    I like the straight 6 idea to be different plus love the torque of a long stroke plus the exhaust note is a benefit. I ran a very quick 302 GMC with 3 carbs and ridiculous compression back in the day; carried a spare starter and rear axles in the trunk. Would just eat 283's for breakfast.
    That being said, SBC & 4 spd would look great in there.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Darn, I don't have a picture of a Nailhead with the right perspective in my photoshop archives to insert in the earlier Gasser style photoshop. While I can see the reasoning behind the 327 Chebbie, (one of my all time favorite non Ford motors), the Nailhead would really be cool in there. Hope you can score it Mark.

27. Zot Cokebottles has been posting some cool straight 8 stuff on my Facebook page trying to convince me. I'd love to put a souped up straight 8 in it but just don't have the funds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping for the nailhead especially since it's a complete engine with brackets but it's been sitting a LONG time. Also the transmission bolt pattern limits trans choices. The 63-4 Rivi has a Dynaflow (crap) transmission and rebuild cost would prevent use for me. If it's a 65 Rivi it'll have a Super Turbine 400 with a switch pitch converter. (basically a T400 and worth rebuilding)

I'd really like a 4 speed and have 2 to choose from. The nailhead stick shift conversion I found is $1100 new. Some stick shifts did come in 65-66 LeSabres but still very rare parts.

The 327 is just because I have it and know it well. It came in my old 62 Corvette and was dealer installed about 1972 as a complete replacement engine. Forged crank, solid lifter cam, #186 heads w/2.02, screw in studs, guide plates.

The 327 would have a mid-60's look with chrome L79 valve covers, rams horn exhaust manifolds, point style distributor, early intake w/oil filler neck and probably a sorta stock style dual snorkel air cleaner with a fat Holley double pumper beneath. The engine is in an S10 Blazer now and that thing is pretty hairy.

100_0217 small.JPG

28. The '31 Chrysler Limo went to Forest Grove Concours 'd Elegance this morning.
    It won best in it's class and was one of eight cars nominated for best of show.
    The Limo also received the special "Richard W. Johnson Heritage Award".

[​IMG]

The 'best of show' award went to a custom bodied (1 of 5) factory
    supercharged 1931 Duesenberg SJ convertible.

DSC06850.JPG

29. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Both are awesome cars. Congrats!