Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. KKrod

KKrod

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like that term. There are so many places here where it fits.

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. From what I understand it was Duke's design like his windscreen for '28-'29.

John Stimac pics

DSC01355.jpg DSC01356.jpg DSC01357.jpg DSC01358.jpg DSC01359.jpg

kidcampbell71, 63fdsnr and 509garyd like this.
  4. KKrod

KKrod

Thanks for the information Jimmy. The dash and gauges look fitting for the car. He was very lucky to get the body, dash and gauges, and windshield. The windshield is a work of art.

5. Woodsie

Woodsie

A few pics of my roadster.

Attached Files:

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oh. My. Gawd.
    Perfect.

In the first pic, notice how the exhaust sweeps back in a sweet flow. Sexy is an understatement. Notice the absolute perfect amount of wheel well showing above the rear wheel. Check out the height of the headlight in ratio to the front tire.

THIS is what ALL you traditional Hot Rodders should have tacked above your bathroom mirror.

P.S. Do you see, in the second pic, how the ass end is elevated juuuust enough, so the quick change is in view? It's like I'm looking at the centerfold of a 1959 issue of "Playboy". Yea. Perfect.

hipster, rodl and Dannerr like this.
  7. Well said, Fred; would agree he nailed the look!

8. Squablow

Squablow

Hoping it's cool to ask here, this seems like a knowledgeable group. First I'm wondering when flathead headers like these would have been first available. I realize that a guy could have made them at any point being that they're just tubing but I'm wondering what the earliest use of this style would be, as they would fit my chassis really well but I don't want to spoil the period of it. I think this picture is from 1959, hoping these were around before then.

tcenterheaders.jpg

My second question is when pre-made lake pipes were first sold in catalogs. I'd like to use a big section of one as part of my exhaust (was a Christmas gift when I was 15 so it has some sentimental value). It's just a long piece of chromed tube with a bend and a flange at the end so again, I could pass it off as "fabricated" but it's really not so I'm wondering if anyone can nail down a period on those as well

Thanks in advance. Pics are hugely appreciated as I like to save those for future reference.

9. The Barney Navarro modified (pictured here in 1948) used some that are similar.
    IMG_20160210_202123158.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Dannerr like this.
  10. Sandy Belond's shop ad in the Oct '48 issue of Hot Rod
    Southern-California-Muffler-Service2.jpg

11. @Squablow I just checked the Bell Auto Parts catalogue from 1951 and Belond W style was available.

SANY5483.JPG

kidcampbell71, Squablow and gwhite like this.
  12. Woodsie

Woodsie

Thanks much appreciated. Ceterfold of playboy that's funny. I like that.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Funny"? Playboy magazine made millions from "cheeky" shots. AKA a Vargas shot. Notice the curves.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Ah Vargas; master of the feminine form...........
    But, back to vintage headers.........

15. I really like those "swoopy" pipes!

16. p.s. -- I meant the ones on the car, not the Vargas girl. (Although those aren't bad either.) ;)

17. Squablow

Squablow

Big thanks to JimmyB and GWhite for the info on the headers, that's exactly what I was looking for.

My car is far from finished yet so I hesitate to add pics here but this is what the headers in question are going on. I think as it sits it is completely in-period for this thread, but keep in mind the body is just sitting on there and a lot of parts aren't on it yet. I do have a Sharp 2x2 intake with carbs to swap on and I have a similar ad saved showing Sharp casting intakes and advertising them in '48 so I think that'll fly too.

These are the best pics I've got, shitty cell pics but gives a general idea. You can see how the current exhaust doesn't do much for the car. The gas tank stands vertically behind the cab and the top of it protrudes through the turtle deck, that's what the big cutout is for.

03-31-15 009.jpg
    03-31-15 008.jpg

S1B, kidcampbell71, cactus1 and 10 others like this.
  18. @Squablow your roadster does belong in this thread as is. It has been a long time since I saw pics of your roadster, such a bitchin' little rod.

Squablow likes this.
  19. Agree 100%! Wasn't sure how the earlier turtle hull was going to match with the sleeker 26-7 tub, but you did a bang-up job...wow. Has the look of a mid to late 40's dirt tracker. I'd be tempted to put some roundy-round style nerfs on both ends and the sides!

kidcampbell71 and Squablow like this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks guys, that means a lot.

I actually had a cool old chromed nerf bar that I was saving for this project but it just didn't fit right. I like that look, if it would have worked out I would have used it for sure.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Anyone know more about the light-colored aero gizmolene (nr 10?) in the upper right photo? Gary
    [​IMG]

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just wondering, who might still hold the rights to Mr. Maanum's art work? Family? SCTA? Anyone know? Gary

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Anyone know how this flat tow rig is set up? Looks like a centerline connecting point and then some sort of links to get the steering to follow along. Or? (not as in Orr!) Gary
    [​IMG]

heavydumper, Dannerr and 509garyd like this.
  24. Hey squablow, I dont mean to get this thread off track but i really love your roadster and Im building one very similar to it. How difficult is it to adapt the early turtle deck to the later body?

Squablow likes this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks. Here's a link to my terrible build thread and a couple pics. I actually did a lot of cutting to the deck, I added 2 1/4" of width to either side of the trunklid, I also had to add an inch of length to acoomodate my gas tank, which threw off the height, so it's now an inch taller at the front. I did have to reshape the front piece to match the back of the cab, but my cab back panel is a fab'd replacement so on a good original that might not be necessary.

I think the width really helps, it looked tiny in stock size compared to the '26 tub, plus the added size lined it up with the stock width A frame rails better, but if it didn't have to hold my gas tank and if it matched up to the back panel better, that's probably all I would have done.

I'm terrible at explaining things, here's pics and a link.

This was stock width, just notched out for my tank. You can see how narrow it looks, and it's not wide enough to meet the frame rails.

IMG_20131111_121223.jpg

Here's an in progress shot showing the cuts. The width part was easy, the length part was only necessary with my gas tank, and the change in angle was to match my cab which was not an original panel so might not be necessary.

IMG_20131117_205757.jpg
    Here's my thread on it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-t-roadster-build-thread.851873/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    kidcampbell71, Stogy, cactus1 and 6 others like this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Elegant in it's simplicity. Beautiful.

Squablow likes this.
  27. @Squablow I have been thinking why I like your car so much, this morning it hit me. In 1947 there was no longer a modified class on the lakes, it was Roadster or Streamliner. Your roadster looks like it could have been a modified in '46 and to run with the roadsters the early turtle deck was added and the fuel tank sticking out is a by product of it former modified life. It really has the look.

Squablow and nitrobrother like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

I'm flattered, very nice of you to say. I thought I had it saved but I had a period picture of another roadster without a box or deck on it, parked sideways on a dirt road, that was the spitting image of my car the way the previous owner had it set up (and credit where due, he's the guy that built the chassis, made all the body subrails, just a ton of work already done nicely when I got it). Long straight frame rails behind the body with a gas tank and no bodywork but not shortened or stepped.

I'm pretty sure the car in the picture also eventually gained a deck or a PU box too. It was a known car. Mine might have been an RPU again and not a roadster but the turtle deck popped up on Craigslist for $60.

29. trailerpark

trailerpark

Best thread ever! Need to keep it on top.

30. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

great thread

subscribed