Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Yeah, it's kinda odd...with the popularity of hot rods with provenance being restored left and right this one didn't end up with a big part of its personality. I heard the grill was sold off fairly recently in the cars history.

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's a tough call. It belongs to it's present owner so it's his to do with as he sees fit. So now it is just another nice Duce roadster,not a small thing, instead if a great Duce roadster with a historic and unique look.

waxhead and Stogy like this.
  3. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Just painted it.

Attached Files:

4. That came out real nice. What did you use for paint?

5. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

It's a single stage enamel custom mix color

6. KKrod

KKrod

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Thanks the wheel base has been such a toss up for me to be honest. But I have other cars to build. This one should probably be left alone. Maybe it will get paint but who knows. The top is original from the 40's 50's I am going to have to and stitch the black lace back together. The thread is falling apart.

8. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_5894.jpg I sunk the ww11 bomber seats between the frame rails you sit so nice in it for a chopped and channeled deuce

9. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

O by the way I have a picture of your car channeled with a caddy for my screensaver! One of my favorite hot rods of all time

10. KKrod

KKrod

Glad you like it. I just wish I knew more about it and why the selected the Caddy flathead? If they could only talk.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  11. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hey Pat great roadster!
    what's the distance between the taillights?
    thanks Jan

12. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I know this post is like really old, but since the thread is still going, wanted to set something straight. According to Fred Mickelson [Jack Mickleson's son] this is NOT his father in the picture. FYI...for what it's worth.

509garyd likes this.
  13. Rem

Rem

^^^ Still a damn good photo, though! Headlight positions are interesting.

Squablow likes this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

How would you like to find one of those that got stuck in a garage that day?

15. Late 1930's (through 40's) California statutes required that headlights be mounted between 54 and 28 inches in height. Also bear in mind that the lights pictured are non-sealed beam units and are of a much larger diameter than the standard 7" bulb you may be used to seeing.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Anyone have some pics to add to this wonderful thread? I need more.

ct1932ford likes this.
  17. elgringo71

elgringo71

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

lothiandon1940 and elgringo71 like this.
  19. elgringo71

elgringo71

Me too, here are a couple more good ones.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^is that picture legit or a photoshopped? The chopped sedan in the background and the shiny chrome steering and hairpins on a super smooth body with dirty looking wheels and tires.

Or did it just come out of the paint shop and is waiting on color before putting on the good wheels and caps?

21. That pic was included in the #51 issue of TRJ documenting the work of Marcia Campbell...it's legit, but a 50's rod (note the 1953 Texas plates).

Edited to add: According to Rik Hoving, the girls are Jean Fowler and Billie Hayes of Fort Worth. Apparently, they took the car to the Barris bros for 'cutomizing' after finding nobody in their hometown willing/able to do the work (interesting especially considering some of the high-quality late 40's-early 50's rods in the "Dallas History" thread).

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought that MUROC became Edwards Air Force Base in mid '41 in anticipation of war? I am not questioning your info, but I have heard that the other dry lakes locations, Rosamond, Harper maybe were utilized by the young runners with their brothers' cars. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Bunch of stuff just looks weird about the pic. Some things stand out as smooth and shiny but it seems the overall textures don't match.

24. Sorta. Muroc field was operated as an extension of March Field from the mid-30's until it was designated as a separate post by the Army in mid-1942. It was renamed "Edwards" (after test pilot Glen Edwards) in the late 40's.

Trials were held there (with military permission) as late as Sept 28, 1941 and (possibly) early 1942 (I've seen photos captioned "Muroc 1942", still looking for specific dates/sanctioning bodies).

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. verde742

verde742

I don't see a chopped sedan: But I do see a chopped coupe and a sedan with skirts on it..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Not sure if this pic not sure if it has been posted yet but I love it! Probably one of my favorites of the time. Me and my pops actually are recreating a very similar roadster right now!

Attached Files:

27. ....................Does anyone find it unusual and frankly very cool that it was two ladies who took the car to the Barris Bros. to get the work completed? Would love to hear the story behind these hot-rodders.

Dannerr, Speedy Canuck and elgringo71 like this.
  28. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am not sure if this one is 1940s or 1950s image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  29. elgringo71

elgringo71

Yes I find it very cool too and that was one of the things that caught my eye in the photo. I would love to know more about the history of the ladies and the car.

lothiandon1940 and gwhite like this.
  30. Perhaps hot rodding was not so female friendly in DFW during the late 40's-early 50's, or maybe nobody took them seriously...those would be my guesses.

Great pic. Jack Gardner (looks like "Gariner" in the picture) sounds familiar, but I can't place him. My guess would be that this was a CRA (or like) roadster, probably in the immediate postwar timeframe. A bunch of the CRA guys went to the sleeker 26-7 T bodies soon after, so it kinda fits. Odd that he has caps on those wheels though...looks like a pretty tidy little roadster.

lothiandon1940 and elgringo71 like this.