Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 to 1948 ford rear end to model a 4 banga does it work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Apr 14, 2007.

1. davesville

davesville

looking for a good alternative to the original diff having trouble finding a good one (using 48 brakes on front)want it to look original for registration purposes.enclosed tailshaft etc will the ratios be ok for the banger also using 35 wires any information on fooling the authorities would be greatly appreciated:) dave

2. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Ratios will be fine, they're the same as an A for the most part. I take it you're talking about using the complete axle and not just the gears or centre section as that won't work. I reckon it highly unlikely that the authorities would be able to tell the difference between an A and a V8 axle, they certainly don't over here!

3. davesville

davesville

yes wrongun i want to use the complete assembly .wondering if the track is similar

4. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

If I understand your question, you are asking if you can install a 40-48 rear end in a model A chassis. The short answer is yes however it will not be a bolt in. Differences that come to mind are:

1. Bolt pattern on the A vs. later banjo to torque tube are different.
    2. Driveshaft and torque tube are longer on the later cars.
    3. Rear spring mounts are not located over the top of the axle on the 40-48 like the Model A
    4. The 40-48 rear axle is wider than a Model A.
    5. The gears on the ends of the axles are different.

In summary, the parts to my knowledge do not mix at all. That said however, you can modify the later axle to fit under a Model A.
    Note that I restored my last Model A 28 years ago! Could be a little fuzzy.

5. davesville

davesville

thanks for youre input willard .i am aware of youre first 3 points i know its difficult but will it help the original 4 banga on the highway and how much wider is it .i am building a 1928 delivery. search 1928 delivery barnfind and you will know the body style

6. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Unless you opt for a different ratio to the original it'll make no difference on the highway, most A's are 3.78:1 so if you want longer legs look out for a 3.54:1.

I believe (though could be wrong as I can't find the actual info right now!) that the overall difference in width for the V8 axle is somewhere between 1" and 3" greater depending on the year of the manufacture.

7. davesville

davesville

thats the answer i need

8. davesville

davesville

how much wider is the v8 axle compared to the standard model a axle

9. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor