Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Ford Sedan "The Varmit" IS DONE! Successfully completed a Reliability Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan Hay, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Those jerks at Photobucket are charging for 3rd party hosting, so most of the pics in this thread are gone. I still have them, so if you need to see something, PM me and I will provide you with any pics you need. Thanks, DH

Look what followed me home recently... fairly decent car. I would've liked to start on something nicer, but this is what I can afford. It's 98% complete. So far I'm missing a headlight bezel, some stainless trim and the trunk handle.

Floors in the front need patching, trunk and tool tray are toast, as well as the rear panel. The grille is un-useable, as well as I think the flathead is stuck. (Need to verify)

It came with re-upholstered seats! That must've been $$ they even have correct 40 ford pleats running vertically.

Plans are basic- do the chassis first. Dropped axle/split bones in the front, parallel leaf 9" in the rear, stock 40 wheels/caps with Bias blackwalls.

Not absolutely sure about motor, but it will have 3 pedals and 5 gears.

No, the rearend is not a 3.54! haha. It's a 3.78.

My budget is thin and so this might end up being the longest running build thread in HAMB history. But there are many free things I have been doing... I've already worked out a few dents, restored the guages, and getting a bonded title. The next expenditure may need to be a sandblast cabinet. All in good time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    enloe and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Looks like a good solid project-Congrats and Good luck!

3. May be in the minority, but I prefer the '39-40 2 door sedans to the coupes...no apologies, either!

hotrodharry2 and verde742 like this.
  4. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Wow thats cool, I just got mine on the road, basically same set up as you are planning, mine has a columbia so I left it with 3 speeds!!!!! Need anything let me know... NIck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Your 40 is sweet! Exactly what I'm going for.

6. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Well Dan how funny, with your helper it should work out great, mine had alot of input and has decided the 40 is his!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

verde742 likes this.
  7. That little blonde haired blue eyed angel is a big reason I'm building this sedan. There's no room for her or any future brothers/sisters in my '38 Chevy Coupe.

8. Plumfat, what size tires are on the front and rear of your 40?

9. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

I put 6.00 on front and 7.50 on rear.

10. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

You plan is all you need to do in order to have a great fun car. Use a posies reversed eye spring in the front it will give you 8" at the chin just perfect for real driving. Rebuild the front end and add disc brakes for real world stops. Get some ones kit and hang a Explorer 8.8 rear (this will give you 4 wheel disc's. On the cheep use a small block Chev and a 5 speed you can have a good riding dependable chassis for under $2000.00 and with horse trading etc. build a good runner for $5000. or so.
    Put yourself on a budget say $200.00 a month 25 months and you are on the road.
    Make a plan and stick to it. Lots of luck.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    MIKE STEWART likes this.
  12. dad-bud

dad-bud

I really like the 39's and 40's - nice find, hope you enjoy the build.
    Good luck.

13. Tank

Tank

One of my favorite cars.... Someday I too will own one. Subscribed!

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Keep plugging away. I started with one like this and it took me 5 years but it was really a great car for me and my family. Forty sedan rule.

verde742 likes this.
  15. Thanks everyone!

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good start---hang in there--40's are great--just finished a black 40 std sedan--the little guy will love cruising in it--maybe driving it in a few years too

looks to have been cloud mist grey and has a great std cluster--a little hard to find

17. Bart78

Bart78

Did that come from cleburne?

18. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I agree! Better proportions and a bigger bootie. We're talkin' about tudors, right?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. Yes, do you know the car/previous owner?

20. Bart78

Bart78

No I had been seeing it on Craigslist. And when you sain it had new interior I thought of it.

21. Yep, that's the one.

22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car looks pretty solid to me; nice find. I'd recommend Chassis Engineerring components to install the driveline.

23. The car might have been grey at one time, but the back of the firewall behind the insulation is dark blue. I looked up the color name but it escapes me right now.

24. Saving my pennies to do just that.

25. Bart78

Bart78

It looks real good. The add did not say to much and no pics. Good luck looks like it will be a good project.

26. Deu55

Deu55

All the best with your build , you did a great job on restoring the gauges they look great....Rod..

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. Yeah, I called and went down to look at it on a whim. Thought it would be rougher, was pleasantly surprised by the complete-ness and how straight it was.

28. Bart78

Bart78

That's awesome looks good.

29. 4tford

4tford

Nice car to build. My granddaughter loves riding in the back seat of mine so the sedan is great for carrying people and looks good doing it. I enjoy my car hope you will yours also.

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.
  30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Washington Blue is the classic 40 dark blue that looks so gooooood on a 40.