Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1938 Ford Roadster Pick Up - A Story...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Anderson

Anderson

2 and a half years later...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. sololobo

sololobo

To cool for school, these are so bad ass. I love that 38 front sheet metal, stylin city! ~sololobo~

3. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

what a cool truck. I would imagine it was a 1 of 1. amazing find.

4. Anderson

Anderson

Today...cab almost ready to come off after some heavy bracing due to the shot floor and rockers.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. draggler

draggler

I remember seeing it on craigslist when it was for sale !
    Cool to see it resurface again ,and local to boot!
    Definately amused to see its metamorphesis into same yet slightly updated so to speak!
    Awesome score!

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Stock headlights. Please.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. Anderson

Anderson

I could live with the accessory headlights....the fluting of the lenses is so cool. Plus they are one of the less ugly of the ad-on's on this thing. The cowl light will stay, and we'll probably try to replicate the running boards. But might toss the antenna, the third wiper, and maybe the mirrors and marker lights on the front fenders.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Insist on the BnL tires and a nice healthy rake!! I really like this thing, but isn't it really a CPU (cabriolet roadster pickup)? hehe

9. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I keep forgetting to take a pic of the partial license plate we have. It was from a town called Maria Juana in Argentina. no, that's not a joke, we have the license plate to prove it haha. Also found a antique car show registration paper under the seat. Apparently the guy worked for a company that builds train boxcars, there's some other stuff related to that, that we've found.

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

38 Deluxe's are super cool!
    How about a picture of the rear cab conversion? Is it basically just one large piece of metal welded to the door posts?

11. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

38 Deluxe's are super cool!
    How about a picture of the rear cab conversion? Is it basically just one large piece of metal welded to the door posts?

12. Anderson

Anderson

I think the cab back panel came from something else, maybe an actual truck...it has compound curves and actually fits the profile of the doors very well. I'm 100% sure it wasn't hand made for this truck, considering the questionable methods of the rest of the modifications.

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing how many gearheads are not aware that this model truck is NOT a roadster pickup!
    The last Ford roadster was produced in 1937---That means REMOVABLE windshield & NO roll up windows.
    And I'm not sure there were ANY 1937 RPU's produced by Ford in the USA.
    John Mellencamp knows his RPU's!!!

14. Anderson

Anderson

Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe.

15. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

It's kind of hard to put any one label on it. It is most likely a one-of-one. There was never a pickup with a front end like this, so technically it's not a pickup either. It's not a cabriolet, since it has a bed on it, it's not a UTE because the bed is not integral with the cab, and not a roadster since it was roll up windows and a permanent windshield frame. It was built in Argentina, I don't think the model line-up rules that we have here really apply to what they built down there.

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Anderson

Anderson

Tadaaa...

Attached Files:

17. Nice project. Last pic also proves once again how much space a dismantled car takes up.

18. Man that is something else!!! Love it.

I hope someday to build a chopped tail dragged ice cream truck just like this. I love 38's.

Doesn't seem like you guys are going to hot rod it too hard. But I have the exact same 38 deluxe hood with old louvers. The good ones! Love to see it on that little Pu.

Great thread

19. hershambob

hershambob

great rpu,i like the rear fenders,they look like they should be there to me,and ryan argentinian is a word!!

20. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I don't care if it is all factory or a 1 of 1 or an owner custom. It looks right and I hope to see it finished. This is a very interesting thread. I didn't know anything about Fords being produced in Argentina. Thanks for the little history lesson.

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Anderson

Anderson

Been making a lot of progress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  22. DeuceDaddy.......re the last Ford Raodster being 1937.....not quite.........here in Oz they made them up to 1940, a mate has one and its genuine, no windup door windows, he's had it since the early 70's.........roadster utes were made here till 1938 and are uncommon but around.........I have seen a factory 40/41 Ford Roadster Pickup(not ute) still being used by a plumber about 20yrs ago...........very uncommon................andyd

23. its a convertible sedan delivery
    tk

24. Here is a couple pics of that hood. Louvers are so nice. Pretty sure it's a 38 deluxe.

Attached Files:

25. Anderson

Anderson

Good news......the dropped axle has landed!

We also had the "new" frame blasted and painted by North Texas Customs (thanks guys!)

Got it back today....some parts are ready to be picked up, some still on the way.....the chassis may be a roller again by tomorrow afternoon!!! Pics soon,,,

26. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I was thinking the same thing, it looks like the front half of a convertible sedan, still a cool truck, there were a lot of cars made into pickups in the 50s surprised we don't see more here.

28. historynw

historynw

I like the way the bed fits over the 37 creation. It looks like it belongs, even with the tail pan in place. KQQL.

29. Anderson

Anderson

Quoting an old post in this thread, but this is in fact the case. The rear door post is a giant cast piece. I assume a factory piece of the convertible sedan. After cutting off some of the hastily wrapped around sheetmetal and removing the wood, I could see the backside of the post and where the rear door hinge would have bolted on.

The rear panel was brazed to these cast posts.

Will have some updated pictures soon. Got the steering box rebuilt today, and the chassis is a complete roller now minus wheel cylinders and the front spring, still waiting on that shock kit that has new shackles in it. Tomorrow the transmission will go together, and will continue with working on the body.

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. Anderson

Anderson

Backside of the post...
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1329874912.535754.jpg

Plates bolted on, giving me something to weld to.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1329874945.559240.jpg

Made a new top piece, tied it into those plates. Added som bracing down to the floor, now it is very sturdy.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1329874978.485663.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1329875018.923378.jpg
    Chassis is a roller now, still without the front spring though. Also finished the transmission rebuild.