Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1938 Ford Roadster Pick Up - A Story...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now that's a cool looking truck, great to see something different now-a-days.

3. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

That is really cool. There is a good amount of that old tin down there. Is George going to restore it to stock since it's rare, or hot rod it?

BTW....it's Argentine.....as opposed to Argentinian.
    As in "There was a Russian, a Canadian, and an Argentine...."

I know a few Argentine folks on this board.....any of you know if the factory still exists? If so, any of you wanna take some pictures and post them up? That would be awesome......

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sweet truck!
    Wonder if there's any "knock down" kits that were left unbuilt (an NOS Model T) or any of the T stamping dies survived?
    Some of the 50's/60's So. American Chevy trucks are real funky looking.
    I read once that Argentina was producing early 60's Falcon/Rancheros well past the early 60's-true or false?

5. That's bitchin'...I have always heard stories about that stuff...hope we are kept up to date on the progress on this one

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

TRUE. Ford Argentina opened back up in 1957 to build trucks. They sold the falcon from 1962 until 1991... However, they weren't something you or I would be all that excited about.

7. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Man is that cool!!!! Love it.

8. They even nailed the proportions!

9. that thing is bad ass !!

10. That truck is amazing! I know of a shit load of cars on a farmers ranch there. Need to get that stuff...

11. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Nice score George, I look forward to seeing how being in America will affect that cool little truck.

12. 31whitey

31whitey

Dated and Argentine woman for awhile...

Best looking women ....Period.

Alot of fantics in that country....harley stuff is very big.

Great beef....sorry TX....did I mention the women....WOW.

13. Anderson

Anderson

Might have seen it in the other post, but we did get it running last night. Well, George, MarkX, and Elrod did most of it. Mark took some video with his phone but don't know if it turned out very well. It sounds pretty good and makes a neat fireworks show with all the junk in the tailpipe :D

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Labold

Labold

Right hand drive and all. That is one neat little truck!

15. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like the leftover front half of a convertible sedan. That would explain the cast parts in the top. I'd bet the B pillar from the convert sedan is in there too. Maybe with a handcrafted back panel welded and leaded to it. The bed doesn't look very "Fordish". Maybe it was a local manufacture from their own dies.

A truck was probably much more saleable in Argentina than a convert sedan anyways.

davweed34 likes this.
  16. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

There is some pretty cool stuff down there.I bought out a motorcycle shop in 1991 in Buenos Aires.There were some cars in there too.
    Mid sixties falcons were everywhere.Evidently they bought the tooling. They are very skilled craftsmen too.Remember,Peron cut off tade with the world in ~1950.People had to learn to manufacture their own parts.Some in desperation were botched,others were fantastic.I watched a guy hand build an oil tank for a Norton Manx (motorcycle) in four hours AND shoot the breeze with me.
    When you see something like the pickup,you can never be sure if it was real or a creation.They are very creative.

17. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

But the Falcon's competition WAS exciting. The Torino coupe was a Rambler Rogue with that OHC 230 hemi 6 from late-60s Jeep pickups, restyled by Pininfarina and given 6 barrels of Weber and a ZF 4-speed, good for 220 hp and 127 mph, they said.

With Juan Fangio in charge of the factory team, it was successful in international sedan racing, winning a third place at the Nurburgring in 1969.

The Falcon greatly outsold it, being cheaper and much more practical.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What a teriffic find, and more than likely a 1 of 1. Doesn't get any better than that.
    This is one "barn find" that I would NOT leave "as found". Here's the scenerio:

1. Careful disassembly with many photos and written discription.
    2. Restoration of every piece.
    3. During the rebuild "hot rod" the components as per late 40's early
    50's theme including a proper Flathead w/ hi-perf goodies.
    4. Careful reassembly with a fresh coat of chrome where appropiate
    and a nitrocelluos Laquer paint job (black comes to mind) topped with
    Gaylord style top and interior.
    5. Drive the wheels off it.

A dropped axle and wide whites might also go into the mix but the goal would be a cover shot of a 50's magazine.
    I can see it in my mind now, and I'm heading out for a drive.:cool:

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Slide

Slide

If I ever build a late-30s/early-40s truck, I am so painting the inside of the bed white. Who knew that would look so cool?

Very cool truck, IMO. If sheet metal could talk, I bet this one would have some stories to tell.

20. That's a really cool truck. I love a '38 Ford ANYTHING.

I'd have to follow Fab32's suggestions above pretty closely. I would be really tempted to extend the bed a little behind the wheels though. Would also be tempted to tweak the lines of the top a little to remove the square corners at the rear. Might even take 2" out of the top.... And I wouldn't sleep again until it had some stock headlights back in it. Damn I hate those conversions.

Anyway it goes though, I can't wait to see what it becomes.

Keep us posted.

JH

21. Foul

Foul

Yeah, but they'd be in Spanish! :D
    dan

22. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

pretty freakin cool man!

23. henryj429

henryj429

I agree - the truck is a knock-out!

A buddy of mine has a Falcon Ranchero, 62 or 63, that he runs at Maxton. The car has the tiny stock 170 in-line six. He has a rare high perf head and intake manifold originally produced in Argentina that are substantially different than the American parts and really perk up the little beastie.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'm not to keen on the roof....but overall, that's a pretty cool lookin' truck!

Nice find!!!

25. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Bolivia, and Brazil has some of the same cool stuff, also.

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome truck/car thing.... The top? I like it as is. Utilitarian for sure. This sucker's cool! Dumped, Glossy brown paint, orange beltline stripe. Pumpkin colored 16" wide 5 wheels, big and little Firestone rubber, awesome but subtle rake.....I'm drawing this one!

Was this thing hit? Front end is WAY off set. Also, the rearend seems square on one side and off on the other.

27. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

no it wasn't hit, the spring bolt that holds the leaves together broke and the main leaf has slipped to one side. that will be one of the first things to get fixed. I'm still stoked that it runs..

The rear I'm not sure the wheel base is off from side to side. Maybe the wishbone is bent or some other problem that is causing one wheel to be too far forward and one to be too far back. The frame looks nice and straight with no repairs, so I think most of these things can be fixed with some adjustments and replacing some worn out parts.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Is it on a '38 frame?

29. Elrod

Elrod

From underneath, it appears to be all 1938 components. 38 frame, 38 front and rear axles, 38 trans. The pedals assy. looked like 38 pedals, (reversed for right hand drive) but had a strange 3rd lever up higher than the clutch and brake lever. We were guessing that maybe it operated the starter or something at one time.

Has had hydrolic brakes added and the lines are run kind of crudely along the back axle.

Top looks like it was foldable at one time, but has been braced with small L brackets to make it more rigid. It still detaches from the header, but does not fold back (YET!)

Also has TONS of fuses everywhere on this thing. One for each light bulb maybe? :D

It spent some pretty rough time probably on some pretty rough terrain, so things seem kind of shifted from being used on rough roads. It looks like it can all be pushed back into place though!