Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1938 American Bantam P/U Old Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, May 14, 2015.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The previous owner of my heap kindly sent me some old photos. He's known the truck since he was a kid.

rt 122.jpg
    Here it is when it was bone stock. 18hp four banger.

rt 120.jpg

At this point it has a Ford V8-60 but still appears to have the stock rear end, suspension and brakes. Year unknown, late '50s early '60s?

rt 121.jpg

Here it wears the red paint it still has on some of the undercarriage and a Corvair front bumper, a sign of things to come.
    rt 124.jpg

rt 123.jpg
    Here it is getting a freshened up engine. At this point it also has Corvair front suspension and a Studebaker rear.

bantam.jpg

The photos from the ad when I purchased it two years ago. Red paint gone, the other side was black primer.

tiltfront.jpg

As it is now. I've added a huffer, T5, Ford posi rear and changed pretty much everything else underneath. Hope to paint it someday. Drive it often.

0131152018a.jpg ebay 162.jpg Wheelie.jpg

dutch deuce, bowie, KiWinUS and 6 others like this.
  2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Nice to have the history & photos. Cool little pickup.

3. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Great looking truck ... lov those Bantams............

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. A few more photos. When I got it the wheelbase had been extended for engine clearance. It looked bad proportionally so I cut the front end off and moved it all back to stock wheelbase, making for a tight fit. On the Bantam coupes and roadsters you can move the firewall back but not in the pickup.

I was at a car gathering last year and a video game guy approached me wanting to record the engine sound for an upcoming video game. They paid me $300.

jy 091.jpg jy 106.jpg

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.

5. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Sweet little truck.

6. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Very cool truck. Love the vintage photos!

7. I had wondered what the story was with your truck, and here's my answer. Thanks, cool stuff.
    The pic of it, and the red car is cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey blowby

I liked your car from the first time I laid eyes on it!
    Now it is even cooler! I'm gonna subscribe to this. And can't wait to see an update!!

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks! As I mentioned it had (and still does) Corvair independent front suspension, a popular IFS conversion years ago. It steered OK but the steering box and idler arm protruded visibly in front, along with the funky bumper, and needed to go. I couldn't find any street car rack and pinions narrow enough so I ended up with a circle track unit from the swap meet. The Ackerman was a mess (as shown in the mock up photo) and I had to fab up new steering arms. Had I to do over again I probably would have gone to a straight axle but again it would take a custom one narrow enough. Might do nerf bars for a bumper.

ebay 131.jpg rt 033.jpg 0227151623b.jpg

wraymen, chevy57dude and volvobrynk like this.
  10. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Cool truck! Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but what is the wheelbase on this? thanks

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. 75" I brought a spare chassis home in the back of my beater VW

0203150937.jpg rt 063.jpg rt 167.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow, 5 years went by quick. I built a fresh engine a couple of years ago, stock except for a blower cam and heads. Scored a 1940 bed, more stylized the the square box '37-39 bed. Mine needed replacing anyway so that was quite a score, a rare find. Only 500 American Bantam pickups were ever built. Other than that mainly just drove it in primer and changed wheels more often than Imelda Marcos changes shoes. Last fall I took it down and painted it over the winter. Back in one lump mostly now, driveable but still finishing assembly. Still needs upholstery.

1024181546.jpg 0322200841a_HDR.jpg 0323201517_HDR.jpg 0927161038.jpg 1012191604_HDR.jpg 1225190935_HDR.jpg PandJ at CandC (2).JPG

bowie, impala4speed, Svenski and 3 others like this.
  13. I think this little pick up is cool as hell!!

blowby likes this.
  14. The painted Cragars are my fav. The size of the wheels really show how small it is!

METAL MELTDOWN and blowby like this.
  15. That is cool as hell. That engine puts it way over the top.
    Looks like it has even less room than my Austin 7. At least I can move the seat back. At 6’4” I’m not sure I could fit but would enjoy trying.

blowby likes this.
  16. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Neat truck

blowby likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys! Yeah American Bantams were based on the Austin 7, same 75" wheelbase. It ain't exactly roomy.. The upright seating position does makes getting in and out easy. My wife is wheelchair bound, getting her out is easier than my old Vette where your feet are at butt level.

0205181444_Pano.jpg bantam2.JPG

mnjeff, bowie and wraymen like this.
  18. That truck is Cat's Ass!! I would love to drive that. Next rebuild has got to be a straight axle!

[​IMG]

blowby and Dean Lowe like this.
  19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just noticed the dog in your avatar is on the hood. That is one small dog!

20. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Yes it is.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ha, he was an 8 week old pup then. 4 years old now, 50 lbs.. Funny thing though, he grew up in the garage around me working on the Bantam, had to push his nose out of the way constantly. Still jumps in it every time the door is open. Definitely his favorite ride.

0301160901.jpg mags.jpg

bowie, mnjeff and chevy57dude like this.