Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Plymouth Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Dodge Pickup, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Making some more real progress on the tranny tunnel I was able to test fit the floor and tunnel in the car this afternoon. As you can see there is a nice hole in the floor board that will be replaced soon.
    IMG_2581.JPG
    The fit is looking good still needs some finishing and fitting but I think it is going to work nice

IMG_2583.JPG
    Here is pic of my custom made removable cover took alot of work to hand form it out of 18 gauge but when its done I think it will look Great stay tuned
    IMG_2585.JPG
    Yes I know the skim coat is rough I ran out of pro glass will be sanded off anyways

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    1947knuck and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Mudgy

Mudgy

Looks great Jim. Thanks for sharing. Cheers, Mudgy

3. Thank you Mudgy I've made some changes not sure how much time I will get this weekend but I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I am happy so far. Have a Great Day! Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  4. 51cambridge

51cambridge

5. Thank you 51 Cambridge Happy Thanksgiving!!

6. 1947knuck, 340 Power and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. I fabricated the new drivers side floor today starting with some 1/2 inch angle iron for a base structure that probably wasn't needed but it was easy to install and I have been tripping over that piece of angle iron for a long time. The extra support is nice especially on the drivers side.

IMG_2590.JPG
    Then a used some 18 gauge sheet metal to form the new floor section with bead rolling for extra strength. I am always amazed at the time and work invested in something that no one will ever see, but it those details that make the build.
    IMG_2589.JPG After welding in the section it is ready for seam sealer when I get enough done to justify opening a tube until then its just finish grinding the welds and primer.
    IMG_2592.JPG

1947knuck, 340 Power and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. Mudgy

Mudgy

Going good mate. You might want to clean the rust and crap off the old metal before welding, though.

9. Thanks Mudgy yeah that's actually old undercoating I did clean the seams before welding just didn't show up in the pics camera reflection. Thank you for the advice. Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  10. allenolga

allenolga

nice project, don't stop
    37 hemi.jpg

1947knuck and 51cambridge like this.
  11. WOW Very nice thank you for posting the pic I can always use some motivation. Jim

12. allenolga

allenolga

This 37 was a low buck build. the frame uses a Nova clip and 305 v8 and 350 auto with the nova rear. The body was from an E-bay purchase bought it for the stock frame (used under another car) the paint is black primer with rattle can flames. The interior was also leftover from the other car, restoration seats and door panels from the 70s well used but nice. the wheels where the most expensive thing on the car.
    hotrod2 005.jpg

13. Hey Allenolga that really looks sweet I love the flat black what did you use for an interior? That is definitely the style I am looking for with two kids in college I am definitely a budget builder as seen with all the homemade parts as well as the satisfaction of building it myself! Thank you for posting a pic I appercaite the inspiration! Hey I was looking at your album and I noticed the front fender supports are they factory? I don't have them on my car I will be adding them to the fab list! Once again sweet looking ride! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  14. allenolga

allenolga

I had one in college at the time, thank God she only took SIX years to graduate. My cars are all home fabricated I built everything much like you. The front fender supports are factory and you really need them. The rear will also need fender supports, I fabricated some using electrical conduit which worked very well. The interior in the black car uses original seat frames but the orange and yellow car uses seats from a junk yard. get the matching rear seat you can easily cut it to fit.
    photos 064.jpg

1947knuck likes this.
  15. That's a cool pic Thanks for getting back to me about the fender braces I have the braces for the rear fenders just didn't give any thought to the fronts Jim

16. olds vroom

olds vroom

Nice job Jim I love all the home made parts for me that is one of the best parts about building. Keep up the good work!

17. Thank you yeah I love doing as much of the fab work as possible that is the main reason I went with this car!

1947knuck likes this.
  18. OK I have been thinking about this for a while and I finally decided that I really liked this look first I need to share my inspiration. This car is amazing! I have spent a lot of hours studying the details of this build! [​IMG]

On to my interpretation first the layout

IMG_2594.JPG
    then the metal fab I am really happy with the way it came out

IMG_2597.JPG
    The plan is to paint these the same color as the dash and carry them at the dash width through the interior from the dash to the back seat please disregard the poor door panel fit I was just using it for effect the finish will be much better.
    IMG_2598.JPG

19. 51cambridge

51cambridge

20. Thank you Mike! Happy New Years many happy miles in the upcoming year to you!! Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

37 Coupe for a little different look.
    Keep going on your sedan.

37 PLYMOUTH GASSER 2.jpg 37 PLYMOUTH GASSER 1.jpg

1947knuck and Paul B like this.
  22. Thank you for your interest corncob coupe that Gasser is amazing love the color would love to see it run! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  23. Mudgy

Mudgy

Looking good... do you whack the dimple die with a hammer, or did you squash it in a press?

24. I squashed it with a press Ha ha Happy New Years Buddy !!

1947knuck likes this.
  25. I scored an original still in the box set of Cal Custom spider caps that I will be using!!

IMG_2601.JPG

I just had to set one on a wheel so I could look at it Awesome can't wait to run these!
    IMG_2600.JPG

26. Wow; haven't seen a set of spiders in some time! They usually did not survive the ravages of time.
    Great score finding some n.o.s.!

27. Thank you I'm very excited I will be displaying the box in my garage when they are installed.

28. MNOutlawCustoms

MNOutlawCustoms

Looking great Jim!!!
    Love the NOS find too!!

29. Thank you MN Outlaw Customs I appercaite your comment coming from a shop really means a lot! I am really looking forward to using the spider caps!! Hobo Jim

30. MNOutlawCustoms

MNOutlawCustoms

:)