Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I believe I remember it correctly that Henry Ford said, "Nothing is impossible as long as you are not smart enough to realize it can't be done."

That has certainly crossed my mind many times in life and especially in the garage.

Remember, "Success comes in cans, not in can'ts"

Keep workin'
    Al

2. Go for it your truck your vision if you like it that's all that counts. Maybe I will get to see it when your done Iam not to far from you

3. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to find all the parts and debut it at the Turkey Rod Run In November.

4. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I wish we could have traded cabs. My roof look like it was shot with a cannon and ran over by a tank

5. Very interesting build, great work!

6. Todd M.

Todd M.

More top work today, and working on door post to top as well.
    This photo, I took the original top header panel and cut it down to fit my fab work. Just need to make a center piece to finish the header. I'm going to use a flat gasket that will be on this portion of the top to seal from weather and wind.
    [​IMG]

7. Looking good Todd keep at it novembers coming fast

8. Todd M.

Todd M.

Your right only 3 months left to the end of November. I'm repairing a 1968 350 Shelby this week, installing a frame rail then back at the 1937 build. My biggest issue is finding quality used parts at practical prices that I'm use to paying. Seems like all these sellers are watching TV shows about car builds and think there sitting on a gold mind of parts.

9. Had to grin at this quote.........the top one was said many, many, many times by my grandfather. Now I know where he may have taken it from. Always a Ford man, until the day he died.

I've seen 40rpu's truck. Pretty trick and definitely a favorite. Your truck is in a totally different direction........and I have to say I like it. Thought with your original tape mock up.....you may have had a Duvall style inspiration too......I followed to see how the hell the top was gonna' follow THAT style. Seeing this, I like to think of that SSR Chev build from a few back.

Glad you stuck to your build, in light of the early comments. Keep it rolling downhill, please. Anxious to see the end....if there ever really is an "end". LOL

10. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks

11. Todd M.

Todd M.

A little update. I cleaned the frame with a friend and coated it with red oxide Eastwood encapsulater to keep it from getting flash rust. Buying up a bunch of period parts for the build as well.

12. Todd M.

Todd M.

After watching Jay Leno's garage video on the 1932 roadster, I'm now leaning towards the dirt track 5 .00 16 tires up front and 7.50 16 Firestone pie cut in rear, rather than white walls. I think it will give it a real good look with the wide fives. The best price I found on the tires so far are from Summit Racing with free shipping, know of a better deal?
    I'm working the body work this week to the roadster top and should have it in primmer this week. I've been real busy finding period correct parts the last 3 weeks and so far been very happy with the quality from sellers. I even found a 1936 Ford truck Grill complete for $200. from a guy in So Cal. and looking forward to opening that package when it arrives.

13. JonF

JonF

I've been getting your vision since many posts ago. Me likey!

14. willymakeit

willymakeit

Liked this from the start. Good ideas.

15. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks guys! I can already feel the cold air blowing as I'm tearing the pavement in the '37 hot rod roadster truck this winter!

16. Todd M.

Todd M.

Got the '36 grill today! Not too bad, won't take much to get it perfect.
    [​IMG]
    Found a nice pair of Guide 682-C headlights and will have them next week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Todd M.

Todd M.

Painted the Flathead today Ford green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Todd M.

Todd M.

Photo from a week and a half ago. The door post are welded in and the top fits the body like a glove. I'll take some photos of the top in primer. Now I'm working the frame and doing some metal fab. I'm doing a spring behind w/ 4 "drop axle with split wishbones. At this point I'm probably going to make the pickup box and shorten it just a bit to make it more proportioned with the chopped top. I'm thinking 5" should do.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic before it was primed the top of the post.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks

20. Todd M.

Todd M.

Here's a couple of pics of the top in primmer with door post welded to roadster top. The gaps at bottom door post to doors need to be finished to achieve smaller gaps. In this pic it's hard to believe this is a roadster as well!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  21. jlaird

jlaird

loving the creativity in this one. Nice work!

22. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thank you.
    This week I'm repairing the frame in a couple of areas. Beginning next week a little fabricating and custom work to the frame, then setting up the suspension and it's stance. I may paint the front of the rails in body color to match the body. Still up in the air about what color to spray the fire wall, off white or body color. Opinions always welcome.

23. How about posting a pic on the Photoshop thread? They can help tremendously.

24. Todd M.

Todd M.

I just may do that. Thanks for the suggestion. Great idea!

25. Todd M.

Todd M.

I was asked by a member in the beginning of this thread "what inspired me to do this" the answer is, I have only so much room in my two car garage and I would like to have a later model 30's truck, and it would be nice to have a roadster in my collection as well. So why not the best of both worlds and they all fit in my garage.
    Today I cleaned up the old '49 3 spd. trans. Getting real close to start mocking everything up.
    This week it's all about the chassis! I'm thinking of a subtle sweep up in the back to give this hot rod a lower stance, and fab the front cross member to bring it down in front as well.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  26. Todd M.

Todd M.

Working the frame this week. Monday I repaired all the week areas on the frame rails. Now to repair the center braces in the 2nd photo, easy fix (sarcasm) I'll spend a couple of hours straitening and cleaning the metal, then weld back in.
    I gave it much thought and decided rather than a subtle sweep up in the rear rails, I'm going to remove the rear cross member and pie cut it to achieve a subtle opposite bend, about one inch up. This will bring the ride height down and not loose to much room out of the bed I will fab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Todd M.

Todd M.

The frame braces are back in, just a little finishing and body work left before paint. Now I'm ready to tackle the rear cross member. With the pie cut and bend I should be able to lower the rear between 6-7", plus spring modification and bed channeled over the frame it will give it a nice stance with the 7.50 16 Firestones in the rear.
    [​IMG]

28. Todd M.

Todd M.

Dropping the rear cross member:
    First I measure while still in the frame, then I take measurements out of the frame.
    [​IMG]
    Next I made a cardboard template with the factory angle.
    [​IMG]
    Then I position the template to the angle I want it, and add a little extra for welds. I will add more photos later on the proses.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  29. Todd M.

Todd M.

Dropping the rear Ford cross member part dual. The photos are self explanatory. Coincidence my press is made by Ford as well........ It measures dead on!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]