Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks man.
    I didn't have access to a bead roller so I used some conduit to form the beads of the bed sides.
    [​IMG]

1952B3b23 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Those beads look amazing! I'd love to know more about the technique with the conduit. Can you post more pictures of the process when you do the other side?

3. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks.I did both sides at the same time. What part would you like me to break down for you?

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  4. Todd M.

Todd M.

Assembly of the bed this morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and Wayne67vert like this.
  5. Oh I see now from the pictures that you actually welded the half round to the bed. I thought you used the conduit as a hammer form.......

Carry on !

6. Todd M.

Todd M.

Pics of the inside of the custom built in utility box and primed bed. Unfortunately I will have to go back in and redo the tunnel on the box as I didn't leave enough room for the u-joint clearance. Whoops.... LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Todd M.

Todd M.

The wheel and column painted!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Hey, very cool truck! And I am going to blatantly steal that conduit idea.

9. Todd M.

Todd M.

Cool....go for it! It's time consuming but, for the price of new beds, this project, yet time consuming, can be done for under $250.00 not including the tailgate. The trick to the conduit is to bend by hand first then cut out 1/4" in both front and back centers, so that it's not too high.

10. Roger53

Roger53

Hi You have a very nice build going bed sides look great. Going to be agreat pc. Roger

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my comment. My '32 Highboy is Victory Red with Wheels Vintique soft yellow/cream/beige steelies, a color they offer in powdercoat. I have seriously thought about painting my firewall the color of the steelies for a contrast to the body and a complement to the steelies. White firewalls have been around for quite a while and always look rad. Your wide fives look to be painted similar to mine. What about matching your firewall to the wheels ? If I had mags, the firewall would definitely get white paint. I really like your truck.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my teenage years, late '50s/early '60s, I distinctly remember several hotrod shop trucks, and most were the '35 through '37 Ford half ton. For some reason, the '35 truck grill was the most sought after for the three years with the accompanying hood.

13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with alchemy. Look for the ad about SoCal's ladderbars. They sell a weld-in/bolt-in crossmember with very strong tabs and 4-bar type rod ends with weld-in bungs to anchor the front of the bars to the frame.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  14. Todd M.

Todd M.

Installed the steering column, wheel, and horn today detailed the steering box as well. I made a leather cover with copper rivets for the column to firewall opening.
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd and Wayne67vert like this.
  15. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks Roger.

16. Todd M.

Todd M.

The bed is prepped and finally ready for paint. Before I paint it I was thinking of fabbing up some "stake" pockets for a little more detail to the bed sides as I'm on hold. I ordered a new 1937 tailgate from Mac's a month and a half ago and was told only 3 weeks. I have no idea who the supplier is, but I suspect there really dragging there feet to get the order filled, ah the frustration of waiting on parts!

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  17. are steak pockets anything like hot pockets?:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Todd M.

Todd M.

Ok, you got me "stake pockets" with a loaded baked potato- it's what's for dinner!

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. awesome build i love when people talk smack then the build slaps them in the face :) can't wait to see the finished product!

lowcoe likes this.
  20. I thought it was about time I commented on this build. Been watching it from day 1, inwardly chuckling at the doubters, and watching them eat dust as the build progressed. I am building a 35pu., but, I don't have the LARGE BALLS, or the weather to do what you have done with yours. I doff my cap to you sir for a fabulous build. Keep it coming.
    Charlie

21. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks gentlemen. I too chuckled at the couch critics and it only made me want to build it more. Besides if I had listen to them it would of been just a pipe dream. I already have a 1936 coupe picked out for the next one. I'm thinking salt flats fenderless with suicide front end chopped hard and channeled even harder! Paint scheme silver and call it the '36 bullet, Leaning towards Hemi powered as well! All in the planning stages of course.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Wayne67vert, ABONES and lowcoe like this.
  22. That's all very well, but, there won't be any doubters next time. Who will we chuckle at??
    Charlie.

23. Todd M.

Todd M.

Even though I have a lot experience in building show cars for many years, each day I'm always learning something new, and with some lame brain mistakes along the way I've made "I can have a good chuckle at myself " after all it's a fun hobby! It takes patience and a good sense of humor to keep it fun.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Rocksetter89 and Wayne67vert like this.
  24. Todd M.

Todd M.

I made the grille brackets today, and put the roadster hard top in final primer.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the RH mount from frame rail to side grille.
    [​IMG]

25. Todd M.

Todd M.

Notice anything new in this photo?
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Wayne67vert like this.
  26. Roger53

Roger53

Still with ya keep the up date and pic's coming ! Roger

27. Todd M.

Todd M.

Any ideas on something to affixed to the radiator cap? I was thinking of an American Indian head or Eagle.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  28. grill shell is painted, looks good!

29. Roger53

Roger53

I like the eagle idea myself. Roger

30. Todd M.

Todd M.

The roadster hard top was painted today. Now a couple of days away from painting the bed. The tailgate is still a couple of weeks out from delivery so that will be the last to paint.