Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 10, 2013.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, the seat was too good of a deal to pass on, it should just fit in the coupe.

Small world Greg! Tell me I got a good deal, LOL

2. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool coupe. It looks like its starting to come together. '37 grilles and headlights look so good.

3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Dean. I forgot about the dash you bought here. I l love those modified dashes. That really differentiates the car from the next 37.

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

Thanks Don. Just need to find some of the last bits I need now.

5. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

6. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

On summer holidays now for 2 months so the plan is to hit the 37 hard. It doesn't need much to be a runner but it needs a lot to be "finished". Since my last post I have been tracking down more original parts and have gotten some really nice hood sides, front/rear bumper brackets, a heater from the 20's, new rack, wiring harness and my AccuAir system. I would really like to take it for a spin around the block this summer.

Planned out a 3" chop for it which I hope to get done in the next month. I love the lines of the car so my intention is to cut 3" out vertically, move the roof forward and down and the sail panel forward, then relocating the B pillars back and stretching the corner windows to follow the drip rail. I will add a small section to the trunk area in essence making it longer looking but still retaining the lines of the car....at least that's the plan,lol.

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

DSCN2534.jpg Dean, Just a comment if you don't mind regarding your planned chop. The world is replete with 36/37 coupe chops, and many are horrible examples of not well thought-out implications of the result to the size and shape of the quarter window. With some chops the quarter window became the size of a port hole and others disappeared entirely, leaving a overly large sail panel in it's place. I succeeded in maintaining a appropriately proportioned quarter window by using "Marcel's technique. In mine's case the rear of the turret drops down to it's original position, maintaining the drip rail line and extra material was added to the upper quarter window just behind the "B" pillar. I then laid back the "A" pillars 6 & a half degrees to make up the short roof difference. "Kipp" has done a fantastic chop on his '36, creating a nicely proportioned quarter window while moving the roof forward and extending the trunk panel to make up the difference.. His thread posts give extensive detail of how he accomplished his chop. Others add a strip from drip rail to drip rail right at the crown of the roof. I think that is how Kenneth in Sweden does 3 windows. There are many ways of doing things and seeing your abilities on your Model A, I'm sure you'll come up with a great looking chop on your 37. I mention these things to redirect your thoughts to just one of the many issues that occur of a chop. I'll try to upload a pic of my quarter window if I can.
    I'm still waiting to see a pic of the completed dash you had a great start on sectioning.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

8. Your welds got me stuck on ya'. Exceptional to look so easy. Hope this coupe loves you.

9. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks for your input KB, you are right with many of the ways these chops become "botched", Kipp did a superb job on his beautiful 36. I've planned to move the roof forward and down, relocate the B pillar and add a filler to the trunk area. I am planning on 3" and want to retain the roundness of the factory profile.
    Might be awhile now before I start the chop as we are getting ready to sell our house and move to an acreage, all the work to do around the house makes hot rod time limited but if it works out I'll have a much larger shop to work in :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  10. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

11. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I was lucky enough to get TheMoose to try and replicate my original idea for the chop. This was the way I have planned from the start, which was to move the roof forward and down, relocate the B-pillar back but straight, extend the quarter windows to follow the drip rail and add the difference to the trunk area making it longer.

I now can see that to me, it is the way I was hoping it would look, and yes, he was kind enough to put it in the final color I am planning on painting it! I realize maroon has been overplayed lately but it is the color I have had in mind since I started this build so I don't care, even though it's a long way to go to paint I am sticking with the direction and I am confident now that I will continue with my original plan as I think this chop mimics a stock profile much more than the slanted rear.

[​IMG]

Time to start taping her off I think.:cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Keep moving forward! Your vision is amazing. The moose is the grease to all our wheels.

13. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks lowcoe!

Figured I'd remove the driver's door as it was pretty rough and put on the other one I have which is mint. Took a few hours to bang the old hinge pins out but it fits pretty nice. Unfortunately I realized that who ever had the car before me cut out the original latches and welded some other crap in so the door doesn't close fully just yet. A quick fix though. Thinking I might suicide the doors anyways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got most of the taping done as the plan looks like the roof will be coming off this weekend, got a friend willing to come by and lend an extra set of hands.

Tomorrow I'll get the rest of the steel I need to re-enforce the body before the roof comes off and get that all welded in.

Also my dad found me a really excellent set of rear steel fenders and some other goods I'm looking for through a guy that has an exceptional stash of 37 Ford cars and parts!! Waiting to hear on prices but I know those fenders won't be cheap if they are as good as they sound......now I have most everything, all original, and from 9 different 37 ford cars! The joys of the hunt.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Dean. You have been busy! I sure missed you guys this year but the weather for the EV8 was the craps. What's your shopping list looking like now?

15. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Don. I haven't been as busy as you would think on the build. I spent all of July doing reno's on the house and then repainted the whole damn thing by myself. August is mine to plug away on the coupe.

16. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Re-taped the car after I put the new door on. They say drugs kill braincells but I think planning a chop on a curvy car like this kills more, lol.

Pretty sure I've got it figured out and it's ready for the saw hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds up, though it's not looking good. Wish I had a bigger garage so I wouldn't always have to move the coupe in and out to work.

A few pics of what lays ahead:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caddy-O and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. JJK

JJK

LOVE

Outback likes this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Love the chop vision. I must agree, it's as close to the original design as you can get. Great work.

19. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, I think with making the trunk area a bit longer and keeping the factory roof profile as close as possible it should come out pretty good. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

20. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Anytime you need a hand, call me.

21. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Greg.

22. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Got a start on the chop, lots left to go yet on it but its coming together. I'm really liking the longer deck area, had to mask it off after I removed the trunk area and moved it forward. There will be a lot of work to do back there. Quarter windows will get stretched as well after it's pieced back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lowcoe likes this.
  23. telekenfun

telekenfun

Dean, It looks like you are off to a good start on the chop. Sliding the base of the turret forward under the top was very trick. Tweaking the driprail alignment with a few longetudinal cuts and likewise to the quarter window joint and you've got it.
    Please keep us posted with your progress, you're showing us a new way of doing this.
    Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The longer deck makes it look like a Zephyr. Great vision..

25. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, I was hoping that it would have a Zephyr feel at the back and also not to ruin the lines of the original design. So far I'm quite happy with the way it's coming together. Still a lot of work to go.

26. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks KB

27. brad2v

brad2v

Looks REALLY good.

28. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

29. ricco

ricco

I'm really liking the look...still has the classic 37 lines and the longer deck has a cool flow with the skirts. Nice work.

30. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'