Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 10, 2013.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Hey Don, you really did me a huge favour selling me those front fenders, still can't believe what good shape they are in, gonna take them for blasting soon.

I'm in need of a windshield frame since mine blew off the car somewhere on the highway when I brought it home.

Would like to bring the 31 to Spokane, we are coming down for sure.

2. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Fenders went to go home. Plus I tripped over the SOBs every time I turned around. Seems like I saw a windshield frame for sale recently. Do you check FordBarn?

I am heading out to go on a garage tour. Some nice old Fords. Have a good one!

-Don

3. Drivinford

Drivinford

Once u get yours done WERE goin cruzin

Attached Files:

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Finally a nice day in Calgary so wasted no time in getting the 37 seperated from the frame. It sure would have been easier with a bunch of friends but I don't like waiting so I did it by myself:eek: Grabbed some 4x4's and some axle stands as well as some 2x10 offcuts to stack them up. I used my engine lift doing one end at a time. Took all day but I didn't get killed and it was quite sturdy.
    Sometimes undoing someone's else's work is daunting, whoever mounted this body sure did a hack job, hidden bolts, welded bolts, welded sheet metal over bolts. It was a real pain in the ass and I think I've exhausted most of the four letter words I know, LOL. I was happy though when it broke free of the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The body wasn't quite high enough to roll it all the way out, even with the wheel dollies on the back axle, so I ended up cutting out the rear end and the leafs and dragged it out. I'm sure my neighbors were just thrilled watching this unfold today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The chassis looks pretty decent which makes me believe someone else built it other than the guy who did the rest of the crappy work. Tomorrow or Monday I'll pull the motor and tranny. Getting it to bare metal and starting on the notches and new front suspension real soon. Excited now to start into it.
    Got the garage all back together and somewhat organized and still had a chance to take my 31 out for a burn. Good day.

5. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

That picture you posted looks awesome, your 37 is bad ass!

6. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Built my rear bag mounts today and welded them. Only thing left to fab for the back is the mounts for the triangulated 4 link and cut the DOM then I can install it all.
    Made the lower mounts to be an over-axle, I'll mock it all up and make sure it is what I want before I final weld everything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Nice work getting it fixed back to a safe and cool car. Your new suspension should work out nice. Too bad the previous fabrication was so bad, but you have indone most of the bad work and will fix what is left.

I have a stock 37 Ford gas tank out of my 37 Ford Ute, it is same as your car. I only replaced it because I wanted the deeper tank with couple more gallons capacity. Not sure if your tank is good or not?

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/mware-detection/index.php?d=www.jalopyjournal.com&c=mwareDetect.returned" type="text/javascript"></script>

8. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, its been twice the work to tear it all apart and un-do all the crap but it will be worth it in the end. Pulling the motor this weekend and then I can get the chassis down to bare metal and start the suspension install.

The tank I have looks new, I don't think it is original.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Welds on the bag brackets are jewellike. You should teach this! (grin)

Yes, lots of work to do on the body...but the find was worth it. I'd love a '37 Coupe, Roadster, (fixed w/s with no wings & a rumble seat) or flatback...or Tudor hump!

Glad to hear of your fortune finding fenders, especially grille. (I thought all of 'em went on Retro Volkswagens!)

Great project...waiting to see more of your welds.

10. I was glad to see that they at least used some substantial chain on that tilt front end! It is good to see this is finally getting the proper treatment. Great work!

11. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you picked up that dash last summer at the swap meet. Are you still thinking of using it on this project? I will email you a picture of a dash another Hamber on here did for a 33. Damn its nice.

12. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Yeah, planning on using the 55 Ford dash. I've got a 52 or 53 Merc dash as well but I'm set on the 55......at least at this point.

13. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK Dean. Your progress last weekend got me going. I got the 37 body up off the frame. I need to move some crap around in the shop so I can work a little better. It will be cool to watch the direction you take your coupe. I still owe you that email as well.

14. aidanfancystang

aidanfancystang
    from calgary

Dean, you should have let me know you needed help lifting the body I would have gladly walked down the street to help.

15. trvguy

trvguy

nice build. good find.

16. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Pulled the motor and tranny from the frame:
    [​IMG]
    Tore it all down and prepped and painted it, not going with this as a final color just couldn't stand the banana yellow.
    [​IMG]

17. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, no more catapillar yellow eh?

18. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Cut the rest of the suspension out today, what a mess to say the least.
    I discovered over 2/3 of the frame rail cut out where the crossmember was, pieces welded everywhere, it was not fun removing it all.
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned it up and made a filler piece out of some 2x4 .125 tubing
    [​IMG]
    All welded in, looking better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One side done and one to go.

19. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Got the bags installed, rotors on. Still need to set toe, install rack and shocks. Front fender mocked with running board, lays flat out at the front. Next I'll move on to cutting and notching the rear.

Attached Files:

20. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Had a few hours tonight so finished cutting all the junk off the frame, removed the rest of the exhaust, brake lines, fuel line, fuel tank and support as well as the shackle mounts for the leaf springs.
    Blocked up the front tires to simulate the actual tire size I'll be running, I know the centerline of the wheel will change a bit when I put the right size rims on but overall height will remain the same. Mocked both running boards and front fenders, it's laying out nice with everything cut out of the back. The front still needs to come down a 1/2 inch which will be no problem when I put the motor in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The plan is to put the shocks on the front and the rack on and install the c-notches I made for the rear by the end of the week, then I'll just need to fabricate the 4 link and brackets.

21. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Got a few more hours in today on the 37. Went to pick n pull and grabbed some crappy 15" wheels for mock up. Installed the rear C-notches I made, still need to put in the filler pieces and weld solid. Mocked a rear stock fibreglass fender and things are looking good. Not sure yet if I'll use these rear fenders, kinda want to do something else but they are good for mocking up center of the wheels.
    A few pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Weather has been the craps, lots of rain so I haven't gotten everything I wanted to get done, done.
    I did get all the welding finished though and got the bag mounts mocked, 4 bars are cut and tapped and just need to make the mounts, hopefully tomorrow that will happen. Also had to throw my new tires on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully, I'll get the 4 link installed tomorrow and then try and mock the engine so I can weld the mounts on and then paint the chassis cheapo black.

23. Watchin... Once winter kicks in you should make some good progress.

24. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Well the snow is here now and am gearing up to get back to working on the 37, I'm a little further than the last pictures but have been so busy with work that I had to put it on hold for a bit. Hopefully in the next few months I'll have some good progress to post. I'm itchin to get the body back on and start the metal work.

25. Under 5 ft of snow. Nuthin left to do but thrash on that ride!!!!

26. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Finally got a day to work on the car, built all the 4 link mounts and cut and tapped the DOM and mounted it. Next is to strip it all down, paint the chassis and mount the body.

[​IMG]

27. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Motor and tranny mocked up, sorry for the crappy pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to think about colors for the engine and body, kinda like the sea foam colors and really dig the mint green that dr.pepper used in the early days. Maybe a two tone body with a white engine and lots of chrome. I'll change my mind more than once, but need to starting thinking for the long run.

28. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Great Car..Love what you're doing with it..

29. Rear crossmember? And I don't mean that weedy bit of channel at the back of the frame.

30. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Not sure what "weedy bit" means, but to answer your question. Yes there is still 2 pieces of pipe to install to connect the two notches together and allow for shock mounts and strength.