Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937-38-39 Chevy Car's on S-10 Frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by specsintexas, May 17, 2012.

1. specsintexas

specsintexas

1937-38-39 Chevy CAR's riding on Chevy S-10 Frames. I am pretty sure this conversion has been done. Need some info before I try it. So, show some pics and give me some words if you have seen or have done this conversion.

Thanks
    Specs

2. arteee

arteee
    from Michigan

No...............

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why would you want an S-10 frame? Do they ride that good?

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is a boatload of aftermarket help for these cars. no need for a frame swap.

several years back there was a 37 (?) done with the chassis from a Syclone or whatever it was called, the turbo S-10 pickup. a very well built high quality car, but it looked like ass because of the modifications needed to cover the front of the frame that will go right through the front fenders otherwise. had a goofy grille as I recall.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Frank K

Frank K

I used a 70 nova (Camaro) sub frame grafted at the firewall..about a 2"x3" butt/meeting and went from there....Frank Kunkel

6. larry k

larry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WELL !!!,, IT LOOKS LIKE SOME GUYS WILL NEVER GET IT ?????:cool:

7. Swifster

Swifster

I wish every S-10 ever built would be melted down...

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's wrong with the stock frame?

9. Shitboxdodge

Shitboxdodge

Yeah porknbeaner, zman, et al. where are you when we need you?

Anyway...I don't think you're gonna be able to get the right patina on that S10 frame like all the traditional hot rods had...

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

good thing I drive a Sonoma.

11. nutajunka

nutajunka
    from North Indy

S-10's should be left S-10's

12. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

Please dont do this.... My 38 chevy coupe rides on the frame that chevrolet put it on if you want to update the suspension, call chassis engineering they sell a very nice product for every suspension part for this car (and many others). Great people to deal with. I think youll be happier in the long run.

13. tb33anda3rd

tb33anda3rd
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

second problem [the first is wanting to do it] is, the steering box sticking out the frame as mentioned. you might be better finding, i think 2000 or newer? used a rack or use a dakota frame they use a rack.

14. We still on the hamb?

15. Black Primer

Black Primer

S 10s are meant for this, not for cars.

Attached Files:

16. lo c dan

lo c dan

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274702

17. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

If you are really serious about that...you don't deserve to own a 37-39 Chevy!!!:eek:

Why the hell would you even think about doing that, what possible advantage?

18. Weasel

Weasel

I would always use an original frame where possible but I do not understand the hate for the poor S10 - rides decently, drives like a late model and it's an easy swap. We did one in my back yard and here's the result. If you ignore the street roddy two tone, home brew running boards and fake 'brands and imagine this in a single color with wide whites and smoothies or chrome reverse then it ain't that bad....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The rear floors will need reworking. You'll lose over 6 inches in height.

20. specsintexas

specsintexas

Yes they do. Plus you get PS, Power Disc Brake's, a tough steering box and a frame that is stout with relatively new design and engineering standards. Have you welded on a 1939 Chevy "top hat" frame lately?

I rest my case.
    Specs

21. specsintexas

specsintexas

Finally, I got a negative reply that make sense. Thank You tb33anda3rd . You are so right. The "front steer" steering box is a major problem if you want to maintain the stock look on the outside while going for a modern performance underneath. Food for thought.

Thank You
    Specs

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

1939 no (not yet), 1937 (and most other years) yes. We are building a 1937 in the shop, right now. MII front, triangulated 4-link in the rear. Power steering and power brakes are not on the list for this one, but they could easily be. We just finished a '41 and a '52.

There have been zero issued with the welds, so far. I doubt there will be any.

I have welded on over 40 "top hat" frames. Did not have any issues with those either.

What sort of problems are you having?

Oh, and the S-10 front suspension is of a designed penned in, and put into production in the early Sixty's, hardly modern, or performance. At least the MII is from the 70's.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  23. Paint

Paint

This is mt 37 chassis, all Chassis Engineering stuff.
    No need to weld anything, top quality stuff that fits.

Attached Files:

24. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you do it I want to buy the original frame. Hey I'll find an s-10 frame and trade you even.

25. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have an S10 chassis under my 37 buick, works great but turned out it was much more work than if I had updated the rear end and done a front clip swap. Use a manual steering box or a 605 PS box to gain room up front. This was my first chassis swap and it worked as intended, just was not the time saver I thought it would be. If your frame is solid I would clip it and update the rear axle, that is what I am in the process of doing with my 47 cadillac. Front clips from a G body can be had for $100-$200 and a good used rear axle about the same price. Do what you want, it is your car.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  26. I Drag

I Drag

The S-10 frame swap costs hundreds, the aftermarket suspensions for stock frames cost thousands. For all of you that ask "why?", this is the reason people continue to want to do this.

27. lo c dan

lo c dan

Are you saying everything is bolt-on? cross member, spring, control arm housing etc? Say it ain't so. Or am I just we-tod-did.

28. Paint

Paint

I don't think you are retarded but yes everything is bolted on.
    Had to weld a spacer and gusset to the crosmember for the tubular A arms but if you use stock Mustang arms you don't need to.

29. RMR&C

RMR&C
    from NW Montana

Personally, I don't really see what you gain by putting a car body on a truck frame. Better ride? Better handling? Not really.....
    Save money? Maybe.....but it also lessens the value of the car to most people.
    My biggest peeve is usually a decent buildable car gets all hacked up trying to fit it on the chassis, then the owner gives up on the project because it was more work than he planned. Leaving a hacked up car that nobody wants.....

30. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Why do people think the S-10 frame swap is a good idea 2 reasons there cheap and easy to find.

I considered it once, went as far to strip an s-10 to the frame ( that was fun ) looking at the 2 frames side by side, I just could not bring myself to do it, for the work involved and the fact I could very easily ruin my car, I could not do it, I found upgradeing my old frame was easier, cheaper and dosent hurt the value of my car in the long run.
    What eats your lunch ( cost ) is the small things.

lets say you had a s-10 frame, what would you keep what would you change.

Change
    brake pads
    rotors
    bearings
    spindels ( drop spindels )
    springs ( maybe airbags )
    tie rods
    centerlink
    upper/lower bushings
    ball joints
    steering box (stock one is to big to clear )
    brake lines
    rear axle ( to narrow )
    all body mounts
    new front frame mounts/ core support
    wheels and tires
    fuel lines
    motor mounts
    trans mount
    bumper mounts
    bumpers
    gas tank and filler location
    shocks front and rear

So what are you really keeping
    upper/lower control arms
    frame
    rear springs and hangers

See my point? now figure in all the custom cutting up of your body to make it fit.
    This is just what I learned from my experiance. Im glad I didn't do it.

Godspeed
    MrC.