Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 Ford Pickup VIN location???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Weezy1930, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

My friend recently purchased a 1936 Ford pickup without a valid title. We are wondering if there is any type of VIN number to be found on the truck anywhere. I know Model A's used the engine number as the VIN retroactively and that those numbers were also stamped on the frame on the driver's side just under the cowl. But how were/are the mid 1930's trucks identified for title purposes? Any words of wisdom? Thanks, guys.

2. Has the VIN stamped in the frame rail top near the steering box and also on the rail top at about the door. Third stamping on frame rail top back by the rear axle..........all on the left side.

3. The VIN should be stamped in the top of the left frame rail, somewhere between the front cross-member and the firewall. Most of them are around the steering box area. Rust will hide the digits. Do not use a high pressure sand blaster as it may deform the numbers.

4. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

If there's a transmission in it. AND its the original the VIN is usually stamped on there also. You can look online to see if the number you find is a 1936 number. Usually the number on the frame has a star on each end and starts with "18-". But I could be wrong. I think 18 denominated a V8 vehicle.

5. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Thanks so much for your quick responses, guys! I'll pass this info on to my buddy. His frame is pretty rusty, but since we now know the numbers are there underneath all that grunge we'll really look close for them.

The helpfulness and knowledge here at the HAMB is amazing. Thanks again!:)

6. The serial number technically belonged to the engine/trans unit and was stamped at the top of the bell of the transmission just above the clutch inspection window. When the engine and trans was bolted into a chassis, they literally had a guy there with a hammer and a set of number stamps who copied the number off the bell of the trans onto the frame in the 3 places mentioned above. Most of the time it will be beside the steering box. The other two locations cannot be seen without removing the cab or truck bed. Sometimes the 18- prefix got omitted as it did on my '38. It has the full number on the bell of the original trans but omits the 18- prefix on the frame. The 60 HP V8 cars and pickups ('37-'40) had a 54- prefix instead of 18-. All '36 frames should have the 18- prefix as there was only one engine available in '36.

Weezy1930 likes this.
  7. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

If the numbers are not easily readable there are methods to make them more readable.

8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

"If the numbers are not easily readable there are methods to make them more readable.“
    These methods being what for future reference?

9. ^^^^^Cheap battery charger,copper pot scrubber,battery acid.Hook one lead to frame other to scrubber then paint the acid on the frame where the#"s should be,wipe scrubber 1 direction.Numbers should show.May take a couple of times.Gloves and safety glasses a must!!!

10. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

The truck is just about disassembled and he's now going to try and find any readable numbers in the locations you guys mentioned above. He'd like those numbers to see if he can research the title paperwork and the truck's history. Also, he might need the numbers for future title purposes. He's currently looking into what needs to be done to re-title the truck since the previous owner lost its paperwork years ago. These numbers may help. And it's just neat to have them numbers around.;)

11. If the truck was in the name of the previous owner he should be able to apply for duplicate paper from DMV (at least that is the way it is in California).

Charlie Stephens

Weezy1930 likes this.