Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods >>1935 Ford Coupe: An Idiots Guide To Buiding A Hot Rod PART THREE!!!<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, May 30, 2011.

1. Rat rod and gold chainer awsomeness all in one.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks fellers, again I appreciate all of your encouraging words and support. I've learned a ton with this car and even though there's a bunch left I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hitchhiker, that's exactly what I was going for.....but with more emphasis on RR of course. :)

3. fordsoup

fordsoup
    from Altadena

Man Mr. James, that is one sweet set up you've got going there. 35 5w's have always been one of my favorites and yours with that stance, oh man almost too much! An entertaining read as well. Looking forward to the progression.

4. big creep

big creep

wow it just gets better and better! i love it!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks guys! Here's another random pic form Saturday. My brother's '30 A Coupe is residing in my garage until he's ready for it so I normally have to push it outside to work on anything. It adds to the vibe though so I'm happy to do it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Offy VC's before I sold them for the Hildies.
    [​IMG]

Another pic of the Dizzy...
    [​IMG]

The King Fuel Filter/Regulator....
    [​IMG]

The '56 exhaust manifolds that I spent a good deal of time trying to take them from complete rusty shit to semi polished goodness before heading to chrome. Cost to chrome them? $40 each! That's less then having them coated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of the rest of my Chrome which brings me to my 6th "DOH"! I had the road draft tube chromed and then after wards found out it won't fit so if you have a old engine and need a chromed one let me know!!
    [​IMG]

Marking out the holes for the new gauges in the original '35 Dash. I had a good buddy cut 3 holes out of 18g sheet metal so that I can splice it into the dash and the holes are precise.
    [​IMG]

A looks at the '53 Desoto gauges that are going in. I wanted something that was three holes like the original so it didn't look like I did too much in there when it's all said and done.
    [​IMG]

Another shot of the engine with new VC's and a limp air cleaner.
    [​IMG]

Lastly I show a pic of just how POLISH I can be. I bought a roll of brake line that was wound up in a coil and I cannot deal with lines that are not perfectly straight. So that's when I whipped out my Polish Falcon Super Hero costume and came up with this. I pinched one end in a C-clamp and attached to my welding table with a vice and the other end to my truck. Hooked all that up with a ratchet strap and cranked away until it straightened itself out. Unfortunately my table started to move just when I was making some headway but they ended up being a lot straighter then they were. Doh!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. And you didn't but it buy the stick because....?

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

8. You any good at skateboarding Jeffrey? Got any 3/8" steel plate lying around? Got a soooper smooth and flat garage floor? Put the plate on the tube and go for a ride rolling it back and forth, fall on your ass and check your work.

9. LabRat

LabRat

I would have put the " R " on the end ....
    But that's just me . :D

Great Progress and neat work !

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've still got my "stunt sticks" laying around. I'm afraid my ankles would blow right out just thinking about something like that. Originally when I moved to this house I kinda wanted to put a mini ramp in there for shits and giggles. Maybe when my son gets ready to ride I'll break out my board again. :D

But now that you say that.......that's actually a really good idea!!! On then next car I am trying it!

11. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Really good progress, love all the goodies on your car.

12. Nice work Jeffery, the coupe looks great. As far as the kids go ,one day I'm taking my son's picture on my 31 buick sedan fender and before i know it, I'm taking a picture of my grand daughter on the fender of my 30 Buick coupe. Enjoy the ride it seems fasted than any car i have ever built!!

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good bro!

Remember who has dibs on the sign!! ;):D

BTW... The other day I went into my closet and was going to support the Iron Lords, but... Well.... I couldn't. ;)

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Don't you worry dude, I am gathering up a box for you and shipping it out hopefully this week. You'll have a shirt then!!!

It should also be noted that Scootermcrad is my go to guy along with Chris when I have issues. Chris is good for early ford questions and Scooter is a whiz at anything to do with structural and aesthetics. Scootie tang and I spend a lot of time bouncing ideas off of each other and he has helped me immeasurably on this build. I owe a lot to those two dudes as well as to my fellow club member Jeremy, Del and Shawn who have come over a few times in the past 6-8 months to help out. They're all rad like that!!

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Looking good! I agree with DRuss just get it on the road you can piddle with the little stuff later.

16. Awesome work, JJ! Things are really coming together now!

This thread (and the fact that Del helped me out last weekend) has lit a fire under me! Thanks for the inspiration!

And thanks for letting me stripe the tribute, too! It was an honor!

SDG

17. Yeah no shit. I know JJ has an Emperors shirt. Scooter, I guess we could make our own "FUCK THE IRON LORDS" shirts...

BettyBlue likes this.
  18. Brake line. Nice and strait and you'll get at least one good double flare out of the deal :D

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I ended up buying the sticks after I finally found 72" lengths. For a while I could only find 60" and it was going to cut it down the length of the rear wishbones. Of all places Advanced Auto had a ton of 72" ones that worked great.

Oh and in terms of the shirts....count me in for one of those Fuck the Lords shirts!:D:D:D:D

20. Steverod

Steverod

I always like your threads.
    You building great stuff.I would love to have a neighbor that will chrome .Here to find a cromer they are so expensive that you gonna get very big tears in your eyes.
    By the way do you use the iphone for those pictures,is there a specific application to use to?
    i am subscibed on this thread.

21. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

COOL Man, COOL as buggery, one Hell of a daily driver beats the shit outta my Fiat van anyday!

Nick.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHAHAHA!!! Or "Who's Jeffrey James?" ;):D In all fairness, I guess I DO owe him a McMaster Carr catalog... :rolleyes:

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeffy Cakes.... Is that the stock seat for the coupe?? Something looks different with the bottom than I remember from the one I had for my '35.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

C'mon Scootie READ! :D Naw it's a '37 Ford seat that I picked up from Yankee Mike that I thought was the same but ended up being different. So I went out and got a '36 Ford base and '35 Ford wood frame (sides and back with flip up) and I might have to make a few things to make it work but it should be no biggie! What can I say I always like to make things harder on myself....cheaper but harder none the less.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never learned how to read. I just look at pictures... :rolleyes::D

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

But you type so well. :D

27. Lookin good JJ. You have good taste in wiring too. Let me know if you need ANY help.

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks swell, jeff. i need to pick up some never dull for my 34 grille. now that finals are over, and i am back in good health, i am starting on the '34 this week. i am hoping for a rough debut at the alter boys' show, but i will never actually say that out loud.

awesome progress, keep it up.

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I just looked through all your pics again... this car is so rad.

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I might just do that. You know me it's never going to work first try.:rolleyes::D

Thanks man, The Never Dull does a great job but that 000 steel wool was necessary to really cut through the garbage and crud from all those years. I was afraid of it scratching it really back but it actually looks pretty good. I went Steel wool, never dull, turtle wax chrome polish to achieve the look that I did. And never mind my car, I am stoked to see the '34 come together. that thing is going to be bananas man!!! I'm pulling for ya!!!

Why thank you Andy. In one of those pics you can see this WIZARD gas can I picked up from this really rad dude with a killer black roadster. :D Really though that means a lot coming from someone I respect so much. You're shit is dialed so a compliment from you means the world!