Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe Build (My dream car at a snail's pace in ultra-slow motion.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Nice start for sure!!I have a 36 3 window but no build thread yet,just complining parts and working on other projects.I also have a all original 35 5 window thats staying as is.
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. richbud

richbud
    from east tenn

Dang wish i new you back in the summer woulda gave you a total drive train out from under my 36 to get that lovely 35 up and running.

3. Nice car! I have pieces of a 36 5 window body... I am planning to share a build thread soon. Thanks for sharing and helping those of us, like myself, who need motivation and guidance.

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cant chop them all!! with the skirts you are going to lower it a bit arent you ?:D

5. WWWb.jpg IMG_8958b.jpg

Funny you should mention that Mr Kemp. As mentioned in other posts, I frequent swap meets for gathering pieces. At one meet I scored a dropped axle and five tires on 35 rims from one vendor.
    IMG_8965b.jpg IMG_8968b.jpg

I have one spare 37 axle and spindles with wishbones that I planned on putting the dropped axle on. I ruined one perch pin in the process of removing it. I have another spare 35 axle and wishbones that I decided to use instead, but the dropped axle and 35 wishbones are different sizes. The 35 takes a 2" width wishbone at the perch pins. The 37 measures 2 1/4 like the new axle, so I mounted the new axle in the milling machine and shaved an 1/8 off each side.
    IMG_2666b.jpg IMG_9207b.jpg

The dropped axle is now in, but without a motor you can't really tell yet. It looks stock height.
    35001b.jpg 35002b.jpg 35003b.jpg

It will drop another 2" with a motor and I'm going to flatten the rear crossmember to bring the back end down. Reversed spring eyes may also be in the future.

Doug.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  6. It really is the thought that counts. It would have been somewhat of a pain getting it here anyway.

Thanks.

7. That is a good start Firepower flyer.

8. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Great story,made me think of when i was little,and all the hotrods,i use to drool over cruising around town...

9. IMG_2274b.jpg IMG_2271b.jpg

Well, more swap meets have come and gone. Here is the latest find.

Crank has been reground, new pistons, hundred thou over bore, 3/4 race cam, new intake, original not repop Edelbrock heads, adjustable lifters, and he let me tear into it there, to check it out before I bought. :D

My friend(proffessional rebuilder) and I are going to tear it down and double check it before installing it just to be sure.

Looks like I'll be running this spring. (APPLAUSE and throw hats into the air)

Doug.

brEad likes this.
  10. Hey, guess what I've learn to do? BIG PICTURES.

Put time in on the "new" motor this past weekend. The conclusions I've come to about it, fall in the category of good news bad news.

IMG_2773b.jpg

One thing for certain. It sure is a good thing I didn't take its 'Rebuilt" status for granted and just toss it into my car.

For starters, check this out. See where the arrows are? Notice something missing? No seals on three valve guides. Plus two others were severely damaged upon installation.

Shrunk 1b.jpg
    (Edit: found out later that only intakes need seals, but the seals that were there were all re-used and flawed)

Not only that. The rings on more than one piston had the gaps lined up in the same place.

Last but not least. The cam that is supposed to be 3/4 race is a stocker. It is brand new though. On that note, there are many positives.

The block and crank have been machined. All bearings are brand new. Aside for the small chip in the intake runner the block is fine.

IMG_2777b.jpg

IMG_2776b.jpg

I guess the best part of it all is that I've got a clean slate to play with. Meaning, that it's only going to take a few bucks to really make this thing mine. I ordered a mild cam today, and will be taking the bottom end in for balancing before it all goes back together. There is still a chance to get it running for spring.

Don't take anything for granted even if someone says it's brand new and at face value it looks new.

Doug.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hey Doug, finally ran across your build thread, subscribed.

12. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

13. I love a good car story !
    Look forward to seeing this car in person.

14. Welcome, all of you.

Your welcome any time. I'm just 40 mi. north of you.

Doug.

15. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Doug,

I just found your build thread...
    Thanks for stopping by mine.
    I look forward to exchanging ideas, etc.
    The info on the skirts was valuable, as I plan to make them for my car too.

All the best,

Heath- (Wildcycles)

16. Just in time for my birthday on the 17th. It's actually my Christmas and birthday present to myself.

Got my new Cam Yesterday. Any body else notice time slow down when your waiting for parts to arrive?

Cam shots 004b.jpg

I can see the difference can you? The new cam is on the right. It's an Isky Max 1.

Cam shots 003b.jpg

17. Comrick317

Comrick317

Nice work very cool car.:D

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Just curious if there are any more updates on this car/build?

19. I’m glad you’ve checked in and requested updates, it keeps me thinking about things that can be done on the car in order to have something to report.

Part of the scheduling problem has been due to the need to have something to cruise in, during our short summers. Not that summer is any shorter where I live, but the summer seems to fly by too fast. The point is that my other cars need maintenance and they are far from perfect. Part of my goals is the commitment to move ahead on them during each year by making selected improvements. That’s the long definition of too many projects.

Most of what I’ve accomplished on the 35, is gathering more pieces. I missed my chance to have my bottom end of the flathead balanced by a local legend (trying to clear his slate to retire), so I have not decided on who is going to get the job now.

Here are some pictures of the treasures procured for the 3 window since the last report. Every year about this time start thinking about what it will take to get it going for the coming summer. You'll notice my optimism in previous posts. I'm not making any optimistic predictions this year. Whatever happens, happens.

First up is a chrome nut dress-up kit for the engine.

IMAG0159b.jpg

Next up, I decided to go the new carb route for several reasons. Mainly if problems come up during the initial start stage of getting the engine running, I can be sure I don't have questionable old rebuilds contributing to the potential for problems.

IMAG0161b.jpg

I pick Fentons for headers because of their history and durability, plus my theory that they assist in helping the engine run cooler by absorbing and dissipating more heat than tubes.

IMAG0167b.jpg

To be totally honest I got the Smittys because they were on sale, besides they are traditional and I want the experience of hearing them.

IMAG0168b.jpg

Last but my favorite find are my classic knock off caps. They are the copies but I've wanted them for a while. I missed a used set a couple of years ago, and have been hoping to find another since. I do prefer the swept spinner style better, but you never know when another chance to buy new at the price of used will ever come along again.

IMAG0163b.jpg IMAG0165b.jpg

That's all for the time being, thanks for the push.

brEad likes this.
  20. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Where'd you buy those knock offs? I wanna get those for my coupe

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Very cool. Glad you're still cranking away on it. Keep us posted!

22. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Doug - look forward to seeing the progress on your coupe!

23. I found mine at a swap meet. They are Briz reproductions. I have no idea if they are still available or not. It has been years since I've seen adds for them.

24. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

There's currently a thread going on the Fordbarn Forum concerning the side braces in the rumble/trunk area of 1935-36 coupes. The original poster has a curved one and wondering if it is supposed to be like that. Most (if not all) of the replies stated that they should straight, with no bends. I have a very early 1935 which also has curved braces on both sides and I noticed in one of your pictures that the one which is showing looks much the same as mine (picture attached). Mine appear to be totally original and undamaged as they are, but the experts say there's no way and they should be straight. Are yours both curved? Would you be able to check yours and maybe post a couple of more pictures of both sides? Anybody else got curved ones?

Attached Files:

25. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man that's a beautiful '35 Ford you have! Whew that 3 window body style just kills me. Best to you in this build!

26. Just read the whole thread. Congrats! Kinda sounds like my 36 story.

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Maybe the Canadian cars are different?? Wouldnt be the first time !

28. Can't believe I haven't posted on my own build for so long! Bad news is, I haven't done anything on it for as long. I've been out to stare at it on several occasions though and the passion for it is still alive.

Lamaison, very sorry to have kept you waiting all this time. My car has been filling up with parts, so I haven't seen those braces for awhile, but I found a photo I took on the day I picked it up. I've posted it already on the first page. It's the picture of the hood in the rumble seat opening. The braces you are talking about can be seen in the left and right of the photo.

My car is an early 35, so that may provide a clue.

[​IMG]

29. The main reason for not getting much work done on my `35 is a wee matter of space. I've been building a new garage for the last couple of years and the fact of the matter is, it too, is going at a snail's pace in slow motion.

Finally some progress has been made in getting all my drywall up and a break was in order, so I digressed a bit today.

A good friend of mine just picked up a 1951 Meteor. He asked me if the engine from it would help my `35 project out? After a quick look I replied that it would indeed. It turned over and seemed quite tight. It even seems to be a Mercury, because the Meteor was sold in Canada under the Mercury moniker and it has the right numbers on the heads.

I dragged it over to my house yesterday and pulled the engine out. So far so good and as a gift, the price was right. I'll proceed to clean it up and see if I can get it running and if it runs good I'll toss it into the old Ford so It will move under it's own power, while/if the planned engine gets finished.

I may have caught a good break and the `35 may drive from the old garage(rented) to the new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If the ring gear on the flywheel is any indication I may have finally got what I paid for out of the first motor/chain I bought.

[​IMG]

30. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Mine was probably my favorite car of the past 20 years or so. You've got a heck of a neat car car there. Jealous!

Have fun building.

Attached Files: