Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Tudor found on NH craigslist

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 37 Millrat, Jan 27, 2014.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, I'd like to know your plan with that too. Does your frame not have a stock crossmember in it?

I think you might be better off with a later spring on the stock member or a flat rear crossmember if you want to get LOW.

I actually have a later rear end with the spring still on it that I'm not super attached to. I think it's a 3:78. I have a later Ford rear panhard bar in my pile somewhere too.

2. I want to use a quick change rear.

3. Miller Meet and 34 ProgressShots 031.jpg
    yes it has a stock rear crossmember, floors in the car are bad so cutting the floors is a non issue. The car will sit high.
    Here is a picture of a dream chassis, Pewsplace had it in one of his posts (it is not my chassis, well maybe in a dream ha ha)

FlatJan likes this.
  4. Great fine- I like where this is heading!

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Nice project.
    So who's the dude hoarding all the "A" frames?? ( Yeah, I know, I wouldn't tell either!! -lol)

And paperwork can be had with a bit of "creativity"; the less said, the better when you deal with the authorities- Keep it simple ;" I want to get a title for this in my name", and hand them an old registration and a bill of sale. If the numbers and the names match, it shouldn't be any problem. If you start to get questioned about anything, just say " this is what the previous owner gave me", and stop talking.
    If the shit hits the fan, calmly pick up your paperwork and walk out!
    Like robbing a bank!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  6. Frank Ezold, Ezolds garage, he was a full time builder, the garage has moved not sure where, Chicopee MA I think

7. Ok, I'll buy that.

8. You have a great start to an awesome ride!
    I also did my Model A cross member on my 34 chassis the same exact way and that engine is My DREAM engine!:cool:
    Joe

9. Just to be clear that is my dream chassis, not my real one. An ardun flathead is part of that dream. I think that one came out of millers garage, not mine.

10. I'm using 201 quick change too!

11. Like to see the set up you are using for rear crossmember. thanks

12. I knew what you meant.:D
    We could all build or have a chassis built like that but building an Ardun can only be a dream thanks to the rarity of them heads!:(
    Joe

13. The body is on at this time but I will be removing it soon.
    There is a spring spreader tool hanging under it. It is also on a low dolly so I can work on the chop without standing on a ladder. That's why there isn't any axles under it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and FlatJan like this.
  14. Car is looking great, I like your shop too

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Ah, what's your plan for that? Up our way you can usually score a big one used for about $600 - $1200 from a race car somewhere between CT and ME. V8 QC's, not so much. I only see that stuff at swaps and we're talking big money for bare centers.

16. cool costs money, what can I say

patmanta likes this.
  17. I want a 201 also, Thanks

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You should hit the Fitchburg swap meet in the Spring. Last year there were a few of them around. The guy across from me had a few rare ones.

19. Thanks for the compliment!
    For some reason, I feel building a shop is kinda like building a Hotrod. Make it your way! The floor is made of real brick not tile. Lay'd over a 6" concrete slab with 1 foot squares of 1/2" rebar. I also have non shrink special pillar cement under the lift so the lift isn't bolted down over clay bricks. Some said it was overkill and unpractical but it's what I wanted!:D
    10 years now and not one crack or brick came loose! The floor jack has a hard time rolling over it. I still love it though!(Don't need a floor jack as much when you have a lift) Makes for great pictures without leaving the shop!:cool:

I got Lucky with mine! I found the one I'm holding up with my foot for 800 here on the parts for sale! I seen it and called the first minute it was posted. I jumped in my car that same hour and was driving 400 miles to pick it up!(one way) When I got there, the guy told me he had offers of over 2,000. Thank god he was a man of his word!:eek:
    Yes, Lot's of money,Time and Luck!
    The guy also had an extra 201 with some N.O.S. parts.
    I kept in touch and eventually went back and got that too before he posted it for sale. (not as cheep!) I plan to build a 32 Roadster after I'm finished with the 34 5 window, (using the other 201):D
    Hey, we could have worse spending habits/addictions! (Like gambling!):eek:[​IMG]
    The other one (under my boot) is the earliest one from the first mold having the big square blocks on both sides near the rear gear cover. The one in the crate here, has it only on the right side, not shown in this picture. Both are Culver City 201's though!:D
    Joe

40 Olds, kidcampbell71 and patmanta like this.
  20. OutStanding!! I will find one there is a lot of junk out there, just need to find a good one. I almost pulled the trigger at Amherst NH a couple years ago. Upon close inspection lots of cracks and stripped threads. I then understood why he wanted 650.00.

21. Yes, pay close attention to where the pinion gear goes! Notice in mine that's in the wood crate. There is no big welds,signs of repairs or cracks! That area seems to be where the all break!
    Joe

22. Saw this car on another site. This is what I would like to do.
    http://www.rodauthority.com/news/video-noisy-brigade-x-rhys-gilberts-34-ford-x-the-macedon-ranges/
    check out the video, I like this car except the mech brakes and maybe 16 inch steelies. Car has the stance, big littles and a spartan early 50's inside.
    1934FordTudor4-312x127.jpg
    He is probable a member on here, great looking tudor!!!
    Just found and bought a clean 34 front wishbone. One step closer. Also just ordered a set of sub rails from macpherson. I will post a bunch of pictures when they come in, just in case anyone is wondering about the quality etc...

slv63, patmanta and Runnin shine like this.
  23. texkbc

texkbc

Here is mine

37 Millrat likes this.
  24. A few more pieces to the puzzle. Subrails and unsplit 34 wishbone came today. Subrails look good to me (but I have been told I have low standards)Rails measure at like 15 gauge material, came from Macpherson. 34 bone also looks good to me. Had the rockers they need more curve. Looking for a pattern for the bottom part of a b pillar / door post if anyone has one I would like to copy it. thx
    34 wishbone.jpg 34 subrails.jpg

Attached Files:

25. This is where all the (REAL FUN) begins!
    My Subrails looked exactly like those!

37 Millrat likes this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Exciting posts herein! All my favorite things...

37 Millrat likes this.
  27. bomber belts.jpg
    Going through some of my junk and came across this pair of belts I got 15 plus years ago. The newest inspection stamp on them is 1958. In Mass they have a seat belt law I wonder if I can use these in my car. Anybody had any experience with that? I think I can run whatever I want if the car never came with seatbelts.

Attached Files:

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm kinda jealous. Folks seem to ask a lot of money for belts like that these days. (EDIT: just saw some A$$ trying to get $200 for ONE, I LOLed.)

I think you're fine running those in MA and I don't think you NEED to have them to be legal here either in a pre-belt regulation car.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    37 Millrat likes this.
  29. Cool, This is the last pair I have. bought 6 sets at an airplane auction. Paid a lot less than that.

patmanta likes this.
  30. Hey Sandman,
    I am slowly chipping away on my tudor and I am near the point of putting in the rear end. I was hoping you could tell me what you used for springs and how high above the frame did the rear crossmember end up.
    thx Millrat

530sandman likes this.